What's new

Dutch Police Ruin University's Hemp Experiment

Skip

Veteran
Dutch police unknowingly raided a long-term University experiment into the suitability of cannabis fibers for the production of textiles, paper and synthetic materials.

More than half the 47,000 cannabis plants were destroyed by the police and the University of Wageningen is attempting to recover the costs of the destroyed plants from the police. The police estimated the crop had a value of 4.4 million euros (about 6.3 million dollars) despite it being just hemp with a minuscule THC content.

The study was in its final stage after years of work culminating in the release of new types of hemp fibers to the market. Perhaps this was an intentional destruction instigated by those companies who stand to lose if hemp fibers replace what they sell...

In any case it sounds to me like more Dutch police need to go thru the Cannabis College's training course in Amsterdam so they can identify the various varieties of cannabis!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jEgfiD5u1204vTTf41Fe5eqc-ciQ

I

icmag.is.#1

Jeez even the dutch fuzz is mentally handicapped when it comes to cannabis. Who woulda thought dutch cops didnt know hemp from the finest erb

A

alpinestar

i hope the cost comes out of their overblown budget for stupid shit like the spy helicopters they piss away money on...

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
hahahahahahahahaha what a bunch of idiots

The police estimated the crop had a value of 4.4 million euros (about 6.3 million dollars) despite it being just hemp with a minuscule THC content.

E

elmanito

Joke of the month, but not for the researchers of the university.

There is a big difference in appearance between marijuana and hemp.Easy to learn some botanics.They are not educated for this, only how to bust a cannabis field.Probably this field was also used for seed grow.The plants were in full flower.

Hemp

picture.php

Marijuana

picture.php

Namaste :smoweed: :canabis:

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
Sad for the uni, but sad for all the rest of us in this globe, if they were about to release some new fibers IMHO!

Thanks for the heads up Skip :yes: Always great read what you post in "frontpage news"!

I really do hope police have to pay the costs back to the university, based on police estimations, that big payoff once and they surely start keeping MJ botny classes for those Sherlock´s! Sad thing is that there is no price for such long work/study....

ElManito: Good comparison you made, however, not all the hemp looks the same...

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
Im sure the police was paid by high paid textile companies... they had that shit there for four strait ears and only in the final stages was it destroyed? give me a break open your eyes people... Companies lose to much money becasue of mj/hemp why you think its a fight.. just like healthcare in america......

StRa

Señor Member
Veteran
really sorry to hear that..........the police should destroy all the GMO plantations.....

FEAR OF A GREEN PLANET??????

peace

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
I really do hope police have to pay the costs back to the university, based on police estimations

that would be so awesome man! hopefully the university's lawyers will sue them for a lot more.

Im sure the police was paid by high paid textile companies... they had that shit there for four strait ears and only in the final stages was it destroyed? give me a break open your eyes people... Companies lose to much money becasue of mj/hemp why you think its a fight.. just like healthcare in america......

what a world we are in... it is either that the police are a bunch of brain-dead morons, or they are evil fucks doing the bidding of others who pay them.

in the future, maybe clown disguises will be today's police uniforms :chin:

Definitely wouldnt put it past a textile company to do something crazy like that...:fsu:

...I mean, this is the same industry that built utopian communities for their factory workers with crazy rules and curfews and shit...these guys dont give fuck about anything except money...:abduct:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
How much you want to bet the cops re-assess the value to 4.4 euros?

Marijuana plantation is university test field

A plantation containing no less than 47,000 marijuana plants discovered in a sweetcorn field near Lelystad on Wednesday belongs to Wageningen University. The plantation was discovered by the police after receiving an anonymous tip-off. A police-helicopter was used to locate the cannabis field. (video footage, Dutch)

At first, police reported that the plantation estimates a street value of 4.4 million euro, but since the hemp plants used in the experiment contain nearly no psychoactive substances, the street value would be 0 euro.

A spokesman of Wageningen University reports that “the plants have been modified for use of their fibre, and hardly contain THC. Years of research are at risk.”

Police had begun clearing the plants but stopped when shown the university's official licence to grow cannabis.

Wageningen University has said to talk to Flevoland police regarding compensation.

:D
I truely do hope they can get all the damages repaid!!

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Maybe it was just a publicity-stunt to make the public aware that the Dutch Gov. grows hemp within their university facilities.