What's new

durban poison - variations between breeders

I'm looking at picking up some durban poison beans, and so I've been looking around for which seed line to use. Information is scarce but so far what i can gather is

Dutch Passion:
-Stable IBL
-Claims to be pure 100% durban
-Cheaper
-Some indica tendencies
-Shorter Flowering time
-Possibly bred from Durban area seeds that aren't what was originally known as "Durban Poison'

Sensi Seeds:
-Not as stable
-Possible 'odd' taste?
-Higher germination rate
-Possibly crossed with outside genetics
-Some indica phenotypes
-Shorter flowering time
-More expensive

Afropips:
-Long flowering (90-120 days)
-Cheapest
-Most 'sativa-like'
-Stronger high, more speedy
-Possibly bred from 'pencil' buds
-Tighter / smaller buds characteristic of classic Durban Poison

Without getting into a pissing contest about which is better, who can speak from experience with these strains? Comparisons to 'classic' buds from the olden days? Comparisons to other sativa strains, and other early finishing sativa dominant strains?

I'm trying to make an educated decision on what I want, not just what's "best". It seems that the various banks' versions have their pros and cons, so lets talk about them!

peace :rasta:

Evil 1

I would go for the afro pips version they do a lot african varieties and I havent heard the best about the dutch pssion variety but the spice brothers DTC99 sounds interesting and its cheap

L

levant

I can't speak from experience here but from what I've heard from many a good grower, the afropips is far closer to the real traditional Durban with the anise taste and uplifting effects.

420oclock

I grew out Afropips DP a few years ago. It was an amazing pure sativa, but I was not really up to it. They stretched forever. I would bend them over, tie them down, etc I just didn't have the room to really do them justice.

It was a pretty small yield. Taste was anise-goodness, and a very racey high.

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
SENSI SEEDS .... hands down ... ,

i have grown sensi's version outdoors for some years @ 47 NL , it matured from mid sept untill beginning of oct , phenotype depending , as i know sensi's version is an IBL , so its pure ... the smell was really sharp to a somewhat sour lemony/metally as was the taste ...

i think it could be a real contender for early maturing outdoor hybrids :chin:

Fj

H&L

Dutch Passion's is definately not a pure, I grew it out a few years ago and it was heavy on the Skunk #1. Same with Nirvana's.

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
I'm growing out some old african seeds/seedsman durban poison out at the mo,bad germination rates but i managed to get 6 out of 20 to germinate and i've got 3 flowering at the mo and 3 males which i've saved so i can preserve the line.I've got another 20 odd seeds to germinate yet to which i might do outdoors this season.

High there Weed Wacker,
I grew Afropips Durban Poison and Seedsman Durban Poison in 2007. I must confess that they weren't grown under optimal conditions, they were very late going into the ground, Aug in fact. We had a very rainy year. The Afropips plants were an open structure, very thin sativa leaves and the buds were very airy. They finished the first week of Nov. (31N. latt.) Yield was very poor but the bud was excelllent, very strong and an up sativa high. The Seedsmans plant were smaller and more compact, not very sativa looking. The smoke was ok but the high was nothing special. You can check out my gallery for some pics and information, haven't quite figured out how to post pics from my old gallery. Tried again with Afropips this past year. Crossed my one remaining DP with a kalicharka male, have a few seeds from that. I will grow Afropips again. Good luck on your grow

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
I grew a ribbonstem DP durban. It was very vigorous and produced well. The high was racy and the plant matured fast for such a racy high.

L

levant

Ancient One thanks for the info,
31N sounds like a decent lattitude for Durbans,
considering I have grown excellent (after long cure)
Ethiopian @ 50N harvest in mid-nov
That was a good season though!

englishrick, that link is a copy of the legendary African seeds catalogue, hmm I always wondered what the difference between the two Durb's are.
I think I know someone who would know,
I'l ask him. :joint:

D

dibs

I'm growing out some old african seeds/seedsman durban poison out at the mo,bad germination rates but i managed to get 6 out of 20 to germinate and i've got 3 flowering at the mo and 3 males which i've saved so i can preserve the line.I've got another 20 odd seeds to germinate yet to which i might do outdoors this season.
Good new! Can we expect an IBL listing this fall?

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The females might not always be all-that for an ibl,, but the males make nice breeding stock IMO. We used a selected Durban Poison (male) from Sensi Seeds and crossed it to Jack Herer ,,, moons back ,, the resulting seeds made a really nice smoke :joint:

We called it 'Landing Zone' or 'LZ' for short.. just wish we still had some of those seeds now,, but we gave them all away :canabis:

H

heavy dank nugg

all durban poison strains are shit in my opnion.So if shit is what you want then any one of them will do.

indifferent

Veteran
A proper Durban like the old African Seeds one will blow your head off, the Sensi and DP versions are both rubbish, both very Skunk dominant as they are both Durban x Skunk originally, despite what they claim. Go for Afropips, at least that way you are getting Durban rather than a commercial Skunk line with only a hint of Durban.

Way back in the 1980s, SSSC had a very special Durban male, he was used in several legendary crosses, not least the famed Durban Thai Highflyer.

J

JackTheGrower

all durban poison strains are shit in my opnion.So if shit is what you want then any one of them will do.

I respect your opinion but that doesn't tell me much.

What qualities do you dislike?

I'm curious about the Durban Poison so I'd like to know more.

Thanks

Latest posts

Latest posts