What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Durban poison 70's

Rastafarout

Premium user
The biggest problem is that the poorest of the poor have always grown this cash crop with heavy penalties ... Most white people never grew ( large scale)
Because they were afraid of the law ... Some black people had no choice and took those risks I respect them cos we always had smoke then.

Now it's legal no one is buying the tribal land cannabis
So they think theirs is shit (from looking at internet pictures of hype) ....it mostly is but that's through neglect. So that's also a reason I'm hearing from tribal elders

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Let me tell you something: in Jamaica all the young, Rasta or not, want to smoke kush and indica, nothing sativa, just indica...
Not just because they see them on the web or in rap songs, they want that kind of high...

Well, the Rasta seniors are absolutely opposed to this, for them smoking is used to meditate, for them the high from kush is absolutely wrong, but the young people want only indicas

Rastafarout

Premium user
What would you call a kush high in Jamaica? I'm also generalising a bit with factors but there's many .
Another factor is its hot in Africa Sativa makes you active ... So an indica would be better for chilling in the heat ...
Me personally I'm into surfing so love the energetic stuff , gets you amped !

You would love a Transkei if you like happy meditative vibes, spiritual herb!

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
a indica high, couchlock, body stone....
My English is bad, but I hope you can understand...
A lot of years ago I tried some very powerful Durban poison in Switzerland, from High Quality Seeds seedbank, a little relaxing but at the same time energetic and trippy...
I have one pack of Durban of CBG, i hope to find the same high...

Rastafarout

Premium user
Ah same same , wasn't sure I had you right .
Yeah there's a few different durbans going around , but the energetic ones are good , long highs

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think the young will always want the relaxed or sedative strains more. I would have loved to have the hybrids of today when I was young. In 1979 the first hybrid I got I loved it so much. Much more than the Colombian Gold I had around the same time, to be fair the CG I had was not the best of that line, though good quality.

When the energy of youth wanes and thoughts of the eternal start to gain prominence, then the sativa or energetic types of smoke get a lot more desirable.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I think the young will always want the relaxed or sedative strains more. I would have loved to have the hybrids of today when I was young. In 1979 the first hybrid I got I loved it so much. Much more than the Colombian Gold I had around the same time, to be fair the CG I had was not the best of that line, though good quality.

When the energy of youth wanes and thoughts of the eternal start to gain prominence, then the sativa or energetic types of smoke get a lot more desirable.

I don't know, maybe because since I was a kid I was a little out of the box, but I always preferred that electric discharge that only a good sativa can give you ....(Don't get me wrong, I appreciate and still appreciate the excellent hashish)

ahortator

Veteran
Really. All gone crazy. Where cananbis now is legalized people is growing CBD hemp instead good ganja. Also homegrowers are growing stuff developed to grow poor or medium quality indoors instead good outdoors sativas. Companies marketing and so many magazines and hype have made the people to think couchlocking thick bright hybrids are the best product. It seems they cannot judge by themselves sampling sativa and hybrids. The first time I smoked a real sativa I refused to smoke nothing else. So I really don't understand why it is not so easy to the rest of the people. Mosh BLD hybrids develope so fast tolerance than after a few days smoking the same stuff it won't get you stoned anymore. You have a lot of leagal substances whick make you feel sluggish, stupid and couchlocked. But you have only good ganja to feel what only real ganja can make you high. If youngsters preffer that type of strains they really don't like ganja. Opioids are best suited for them.

Also South African NLD cultivars were fast. Perhaps not as fast as most claims, but they could have beaten easily any modern BLD hybrid stuff. But again people preffer the sluggish couchlocking stuff.

Hempy McNoodle

I agree. I feel very lucky to have started smoking in 1996. Me and my friends smoked what we called "Mexican brick weed." It was like being plugged into an electric heaven ride. For all I know, that may have been some of the last bricks of a great era.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer

In the early 80s i remember picking up a high times mag and seeing these huge rock hard buds and thinking wow i need to find n grow this type of cannabis.Mind you we had Thais / Colombian /African all types of sativas.

Few years later close mate went to the Dam and collected all the best he could find on offer and came home with the seed.I grew dutch Durban poison /Hindu Kush / Early pearl few more.What i discovered was the cannabis we had growing was on a different level far superior to what was being offered in Holland at the time.I threw a lot of the dutch stuff in the trash and i thought all dutch weed was crap until i tried Neville's haze lines in 2002.

jjonahjameson

Absolutely. Well said. As I get older I find I almost need the uplifting affect, preferring it.

Hempy McNoodle

Greetings All,

It's been a while since anyone has posted on here and I have some good news to report. I have a gorgeous female specimen of Durban 70s growing outdoors this year. She is doing very well. She was selected visually from a batch of seeds using an experimental seed gender identification technique which has proven effective for several Landrace strains for me at a rate of about 100% accuracy. What is fascinating about her is that the first set of preflowers (the lowest on the plant) were male flowers with pistils and seem to be self pollinating. All flowers above these are regular female flowers as far as I can tell. So, I should get some bonus seeds from her and they may end up being feminized or similar to the parent plant. That would be perfect because I believe the high is better when bud has been lightly seeded and it would be great to have a plant which can perpetuate herself in such a way. She has the thinest leaves I've ever seen and she is gorgeous!

funkyhorse

Do you mean something like this?

picture.php

Hempy McNoodle

Thanks for the tip on posting pics. And, as far as the leaf shape, your plant does look similar to the durban 70s. I can't wait to try the smoke later on!