What's new

Dud Identification Collective Knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

papaduc

Veteran
Now look at this plant:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=43305&pictureid=1263714

And read this quote: "when you see light green growth, dud"

That right there is how misleading it can be when growers who don't fully understand their subject make absolute and definite conclusions regarding things which are not absolute or definite. In this case they're not only far from it, but actually show clear signs of other issues being responsible.

When plants are dark waxy green like that, and have prominent tip burn which has progressed further than 2-3mm, it's clear they've been overfed. In this case you cause root damage, you make the plant more susceptible to heat and environmental issues, you diminish it's ability to uptake nutrients, and you greatly increase the chance of lockout. When any of these things happen, it can cause the kind of sporadic yellowing throughout the plant that you see in the picture.

Whether a pest has made a plant more susceptible or whether overfeeding has made it more open to attack by pests, is a chicken or egg question.

One thing you know for sure, in fact the only thing you know for sure, is that you've got one clear factor which makes it invalid to call it a dud, and suggest that it was outside the grower's control.

papaduc

Veteran
Here he goes again

Don't worry, I'm posting these responses then I'm gone. I'm not here to argue for the sake of it. If people want to keep their eyes shut on this one, that's up to them.

But answer me one question, of the two posts I highlighted above, do you disagree with what I said about either?

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its always the growers fault eh? You know whats going on in each example? Still have never had one?

papaduc

Veteran
You know whats going on in each example?

Yes, I do. Don't you?

Look over the pictures and tell me what you think about the plants. From your perspective. Can't you see obvious things wrong with them?

Would you have continued to grow that plant, with it looking the way it does? Or would you have cut it back to the lowest shoot?

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, i do, the plant that was what you called poorly vegged was a good example of a dud. It had nothing to do with grower competence. You wont understand unless you deal with it personally. Ive tried to explain my personal example several times. After saying the environment was the same. All of my plants were in one 4 x 8 tray. 32 of them in rockwool. 1 plant that had great light exposure was a dud. Every other strain/plant did perfectly well. All fed at the same ec off the same res. You simply cant call grower error there because the environment, lighting, feed, and training were all exactly the same. 31 out of 32 subjects performed normally, one did not. All of that mothers offspring were the same way. After culling it and getting new gg4 clones, i have no duds. Its not heat stress, its not overfeeding, its not excessive nitrogen. Also, no i would have killed the plant bc its a dud. Ive yet to see anyone successfully reverse the problem. I tried taking clones and everything under the sun to fix the dud.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Mod Check... please for the sake of moving forward with a solution... for the poor damn community and all of us who've had their asses handed to them by this problem...

Cut PapaSmurf Loose man... He's clogging this thread up like pure stank in a 3rd world plumbing

papaduc

Veteran
I suppose I've answered my own question in a sense.

Ultimately, whether you can see and identify clear and obvious problems with those plants on the last page, and whether or not you know how they relate to cultivation practice, is what determines whether you can identify with what I'm saying or not. If you can't, there's not much left for me to say on it.

No more from me on this.

Take care and good luck :tiphat:

redlaser

Veteran
I for one don't understand the papaduc hate on this thread. And honestly how can you evaluate a pest or disease issue without factoring in the cultural practices, environment, pesticides, etc.? There is not going to be one answer for everyone's problem.

A

acridlab

I gotta say, alot of what papduc makes sense. I've had strains that you can take ten cuts off a mother, and every cut grows differently.. for instance, take a cut off the tip and then one off the bottom, grow em out.. they will be completely different.. and say it's a finicky strain and do that, it's crazy how some struggle compared to others, cut at same time,etc ..my 18 will "dud" in a hot second if you let the ph raise too high, or if you overfeed it the slightest bit.. looks just like the photo earlier with the light green growth.. anyhow,, I think we can learn a lil from everybody here..

Cartel530

Veteran
Prop,
I've had no troubles with mine. Flowered out the one after i took clones and she was fine. I have 11 of them outside and wish i woulda had more clones haha. I gave 2 of my homies a cut to run outdoor and the one said if it has that sour bubba type terp he is doing his whole 40 GG4. I took over 100 clones from the outdoor ones and they are looking healthy and bustin out of the 2" cubes..

Johnnyseed

I gotta say, alot of what papduc makes sense. I've had strains that you can take ten cuts off a mother, and every cut grows differently.. for instance, take a cut off the tip and then one off the bottom, grow em out.. they will be completely different..

True, I just cloned A haze plant and both looked completely different. One had tighter nodes and the other, which I cut mid stem instead of directly under/over a node, was stretchy and more airy bud structure.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
thanks for the pics whatthe215....those plants all just look like regular deficiencies here and there. shit i had a run of chem4 like two years ago that flopped and dudded like that....whats to say its not something else besides nematodes.

those plants are confirmed dipsaci? just seeing the nodes stack a little tighter and a floppy branches they look similar to some i have in veg...but i scoped them last night and couldnt find anything. guess i gotta bust out the scope again....

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Mod Check... please for the sake of moving forward with a solution... for the poor damn community and all of us who've had their asses handed to them by this problem...

Cut PapaSmurf Loose man... He's clogging this thread up like pure stank in a 3rd world plumbing

Yep, seems the "tin foil hat crusaders" can fuck up even the simple things, even those nasty wet dreams...lol.

In my world, "talking to" someone is 100% better than "talking at" someone--or put differently, to pontificate needlessly--is to bore insidiously!

whatthe215

Veteran
thanks for the pics whatthe215....those plants all just look like regular deficiencies here and there. shit i had a run of chem4 like two years ago that flopped and dudded like that....whats to say its not something else besides nematodes.

those plants are confirmed dipsaci? just seeing the nodes stack a little tighter and a floppy branches they look similar to some i have in veg...but i scoped them last night and couldnt find anything. guess i gotta bust out the scope again....

all of those pics are from before we figured it out, so they aren't confirmed to have nematodes cause we cut em all down months ago.

but plants that share the same exact symptoms have been confirmed with dipsaci. i find em in duds, i don't find em in non-duds.

where in the stem are you looking prop? i find them in the cortex.
stem_cross-section.jpg

also for the record, I have GG4 from unknown prophet at SF Cup and it's doing wonderfully on the exact same nutrients, environment, same room same everything.

Mikenite69

Veteran
I have to agree with papaduc on that Girl Scout cookie plant. That shit looks like someone tried flowering it out in a beer cup with lights 9 miles away from it them transplanted to a bigger pot for pictures sake.

Not only that the medium looks like a promix in a 7x7 sqaure pot. While you can get great results with coco in them it's kinda hard to pull nice plants in less than a gallon pot of promix.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
I was at Barnes and Nobles today.... I always look at their cannabis books... this time the Mel Thomas book... which Ive looked at a million times... I looked up nematodes in there... and found something pretty awesome...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/156569883/Cannabis-Cultivation

page 210

Outdoor cultivators can experience problems with roundworms, alsoknown as eelworms. Roundworms are nematodes and there are six species that will attack cannabis plants. They are difcult to diagnose due to their size andbecause they attack the root system underground. Symptoms to look out forare pockets of plants within the crop showing signs of stunted growth, andproblems with wilting during the hotter part of the day, followed by a recovery in the cooler evening. The infestation destroys the root system, starving theplant of water and nutrients. You need to dig down to check the plant’s roots.Nematodes that attack cannabis roots cause the formation of root knots orgauls that can easily be seen. They appear as lumps or growths on the roots.Treat the plant with a systemic insecticide and regular root drenches.The stem nematode, Ditylenchus dipsaci, lives above ground andattacks stems, branches and leaf petioles. Symptoms of this infestationare stunted growth with twisted and shortened internodes. Treat with a systemic insecticide.

Wendull C.

Veteran
I have experienced dud branch's on plants that were normal and potent except for that branch. Has anyone else seen that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts