What's new

Ductless mini split a/c users

nUt_jOb said:
. When I did mine I used only a vacuum pump that was $12 at the local made-in-china tool mart..

hey nutjob do you have a link were to get this inexpensive vacuum pump? I got an air compressor but had a buddy vacuum the lines last time. I gotta do another install and need a vacuum pump...

thanks in advance :rasta:

never mind I found it at harbor freight tool for 10.99..hehe I'm just a 1/2 stoned 1/2 drunk renegade wanna be HVAC tech...lol

everything I know about mini splits I learned the hard way...lol :bashhead:

I'm glad you posted that though i would have spent a lot more on a pump... :rasta:

L8

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
ok im doin 8 x 600's now (4800 watts). So if i applied the rule of 4,000btu's of cooling per 1000watts of hid lighting that would be around 20k btu's needed. But im under the impression that the formula used is meant for NON-air cooled hoods. These will all be cooled 70 degrees or below temps at all times (mostly in the 60's...basement air). So will i be able to stay afloat with a 18k btu unit...?

billbob

the 18 should work, but it is ALWAYS better to go a bit bigger! In the end the ac will run better and not be overworked

full time daddy
Veteran
for 5k 20,000 btu is plenty air cooled you can - 1,000-2,000 btu per 1k depinding on room size so that put's you at 10,000 to 15,000 btu
i like to run a little bigger unit but not to much for hummity reasons.... if you run a 25,000 btu yes it will be running less but you will have a hummity prob when it's off i know you have dehu's but they add heat there for you will have the a/c running more costly running both... size up the unit to what you need a/c are made to run 24 do some research n ask nutjob he seems to know wtf he is talking about :) if you use to big of a unit it will add probs or be costly on your bill at the end of the month :) i know in the other thread i said if your going to get a 18,000 why not get a 25,000 but i was all so thinking u had a bigger room remember the dehu's add heat and so do ballast fan's ect.... so dont go to small but you dont want to big either....

juncko67

I have been considering the mini-split for a while for two reasons.

1. High efficiancy

2. no air exhange--perfect for set ups using co2.

However I live in a very cold winter climate, with moderate summers--temps into the 80's is the norm.

for this reason I would need the hot side of the unit to be in the basement, which could be exhausted if the temps weree to effect the operation of the unit.

Anybody running a set up like this?

How bout this? What about the outside component of the mini-split when your winter temps get very cold? Can they still be run in winter months?

Hydropimp

Veteran
I have a 3ton in a 10x10 with 4k it has a hard time to cool if the outside temp are 85 and not to mention I will be running 6k at flower. If I can't get the temp in order I have to use the house a/c too.

pugnacious

What do you guys think about the dehumidifier that comes with a mini split? Is it sufficient enough, or do I need to buy an extra one.

Hempster

Latest on mini-splits: Fujitsu has a 1-ton (12,000 btu/h) with an amazing SEER of 25. It's the Fujitsu Halcyon 12RLS. You can get it at alpinehomeair.com for $1500, plus the line kit. At that price and that SEER, seems like you could get three of them for about the price of a 3 zone unit with a much lower SEER. No one has mulit-zone units with the super-high SEER technology yet. I'll probably start with one, and add more as needed. They don't make the pre-charged line sets anymore, so get tank and manifold at koolit.net, and get air-compressor powered vacuum pump at harborfreight.com. Maybe need an adapter for the pump for 410a.
Hempster

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you only have a week of hot days I dont see any reason for the expense just use the house AC for that week.

I use a Portable 12k LG with built in Dehumidifier and temperature monitor. I have been using this for 3 years now. I paid 600$ for it back then. I think you can get one cheaper now. There not very efficient but have worked well in my situation. I only need to use it in the summer and I dont normally grow in the summer. Winter/spring/fall you should have plenty of buds by summer. I use this time to clean the grow rooms and equipment.