What's new

Dubi ? About Malawi Fem

J

jaded1

What soil have you got them in crunch, looks to me like a phos prob,have you checked the ph?
Have had no probs with mine so far,put the most vigorous 1 into to flower last night,will take some pics of her when the lights come on.
Here's the other 2:

crunkyeah

Veteran
The soil is a 100% organic soil I got from home depot. It doesn't look like very good soil, seems to be mostly wood bits, the bag doesn't really indicate how much of what is in it. So it's really just a guess. I did make 1 batch of tea for them which they loved. Except for the smallest plant, it seemed to shock it a little bit. I find it curious how mine already show the very narrow sativa leaf and yours still look like they're indica. They're looking very nice though! Props for that. :)

The one I was concerned about did bounce back and when I looked at her this morning she was reaching for the light so I guess I just gave her a bit too much water. I haven't checked the pH of the runoff as I somehow seemed to misplace the little vial that had all my test strips in it. When I find them though I'll do a test just to see. Optimum pH for soil is 5.8-6 correct?

I think I'm going to keep the most vigorous of my ladies and she'll be my mom. The other 3 along with my afrodite plant will be put into flower as soon as I get my ass in gear and finish my flowering chamber. Then from then on out I'll be getting into perpetual and getting a compost bin going.

Still much research to do!

J

jaded1

Yeah crunch,your plants are alot more sativa looking than mine.I can see the more sativa leaves just starting on 1,the other in flower is sativa looking but the third looks very indica. .
The tall indica looking plant has a different smell to the other 2,has a strong earthy,sweet,disinfectant with the other 2 smell lemony.

crunkyeah

Veteran
Are you flowering under hps?

Reason why I ask is mine are vegging under plasma right now, maybe the spectrum makes all the difference? Mine is closer to the sun's spectrum whereas hps is a long ways off. Maybe the increased uv content makes a difference as well. Not entirely sure but your ladies do look lovely!

Here's a picture of my best lady taken lights on this morning. Curious how you have different smells with yours. All 4 of my plants smell exactly the same. Maybe it's that they're not all large enough to really distinguish between them but they all smell very good nonetheless!

I'm diggin the Malawi for sure! :thank you: Ace!!!!

Attachments

• IMG00569-20110704-0813.jpg
    IMG00569-20110704-0813.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 12
J

jaded1

Your probably right about the light,i veg under blue cfl's which helps keep the plants quite squat.
Your gonna have some BIG ladies on your hands when you flower them out!!

crunkyeah

Veteran
Wow, I can't believe how quick those took off! I might have to look into getting a MH or something for veg, my biggest plant is tiny compared to your smallest plant!

The light I got puts out somewhere around 15k lumens and it's about 3 feet or so from the emitter to the top of my plants. I'm thinkin most of my slow growth can be attributed to my poor soil. I bought a cheap organic soil thinking there was at least SOME nutritional value for my plants. Learned my lesson and soon I'll be making my own soil. :)

Keep those ladies happy jaded1!

J

jaded1

Cheers Gov!cant wait to see some as well,will prob be a couple more weeks before they start fully flowering.

Yeah crunch,they're chugging along nicely!You should have your light a lot closer than 3ft,try putting it 8-10" from the tops and you should see some decent growth!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hello crunkyeah,

It's interesting to see the serrated thin sativa leaf of your plants.
Just give them a good soil and intense light for best results, they love it! Malawi is very vigorous sativa, she grows very quick and branches a lot if she is grown under good conditions.

Wow, I can't believe how quick those took off! I might have to look into getting a MH or something for veg, my biggest plant is tiny compared to your smallest plant!

The light I got puts out somewhere around 15k lumens and it's about 3 feet or so from the emitter to the top of my plants. I'm thinkin most of my slow growth can be attributed to my poor soil. I bought a cheap organic soil thinking there was at least SOME nutritional value for my plants. Learned my lesson and soon I'll be making my own soil. :)

Keep those ladies happy jaded1!

J

jaded1

Cheers dubi,the bush is at 17 days in the pic and the pole plant had only been flipped a couple of days before.
The bush is starting to form buds and will get potted up sometime this week.
Must say,for a sativa they are very smelly,the bush has a lemon,woody menthol stink and the pole is earthy,sweetand piney disinfectant

J

jaded1

A pic of the bush!
The taller pole plant was thrown away as the plants pistils all turned brown at 4 weeks and never threw any new 1's,didn't look more than a joints worth so it got binned.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks for the update, looking real real nice! :D How many weeks into flowering ?

Mmmmm Not sure what could happen with the taller plant ... maybe a fertilizer or light burnt ?

A pic of the bush!
The taller pole plant was thrown away as the plants pistils all turned brown at 4 weeks and never threw any new 1's,didn't look more than a joints worth so it got binned.

J

jaded1

Cheers Hoots and Dubi!
She's at 8 1/2 weeks in the pic,going to push her to 12 but she looks looks like she'll be well done by 72/73 days.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Looking very nice developed! :) How are the aromas, bud density and resin production ?

J

jaded1

Cheers dubi,smells are fuelly funk,woody and lemony,quite pungent!
Buds on the malawi look denser than anything else in the flower room and resin production is very good.
Had a smoke of a purple pheno that a buddy grew this morning,very strong smoke,tasted very nice,like a lightly perfumed hash,buds smelled similar with a disinfectant smell to them.

Was going to write most of this this morning but too wasted from the malawi and gave up even trying to type!