What's new

Drying question!!!!

KRS Juan

Click for Larger Image

Here's my first 3. They were flowered 15 days before the rest (mostly to have something for 4/20).

They have been hanging like this for 3 days and everything seems cool, but should I have a fan running on them? I have a box fan I could put below them and face upwards.

I'm in no rush, but I really want to do thing right so I am asking only because I want to avoid mold and get the best flavor possible (yes I have jars ready for curing).

Thanks
-KRS Juan-

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You don't need a fan right on em, but in the vicinity is good.

Try to extend the drying period for 5-7 days. Any faster and you risk zapping the taste, some potency and the burn quality. Any longer and the risk of mold or mildew ruining the quality is real.

Keep em out of direct, strong light. Dark is best. Don't seal em in containers until the stems on the indise of the buds snaps. If you can catch them just as they reach this dryness, you've got it right. If you let me keep drying past this point, the moisture level in the herb is reduced to amounts not beneficial to the curing process. You need SOME moisture, and yes, there's moisture in buds that have dried to the point that the stems snap, even though it seems hard to beleive when you feel how crispy the buds are. Once they're sealed up, you'll notice they get more pliable because the moisture that was in the buds has been evenly distributed within the plant material. This is how buds cure, through the constant presence of trace amounts of water molecules helping the excess sugar molecules be used up before the herb gets too dry to allow the process to continue. Herb that's dried too quickly is often times harsh, and some might argue that it's a little less potent too.

cc

KRS Juan

Thanks for the reply but I need a little more help with the fan. Im drying inside a closet and the only fan I have is a fairly large box fan (think window size). It being a closet, even on the lowest setting the fan is gonna create A LOT of air movement. Am I better off letting them dry on their own?

-KRS Juan-

Telepod

I would say, better off without

I would say, better off without

What I would recommend is to keep an eye out for those little PC fans; you can pull them out of all kinds of old PCs, copiers and the like. They usually run on 12 volts or 24 volts of DC power maximum and will run on less. You can wire them up to most old wall wart dc power adaptors, and can run several fans off the same adaptor.

for the moment though, the big old box fan will dry out your buds too quickly, unless it rains all week or something... you are best off to leave them in a dry dark place with normal air circulation and monitor the dryiness a few times a day. One good way to slow down the drying process is to determine when the buds seem almost ready to jar... for example when the outer bud leaves and hairs are crispy-like but the stems still bend without snapping... and put your buds in a brown paper bag, rolled over at the top and taped shut. This will redistribute the moisture as CC mentioned, but the paper bag breathes well enough that the drying process will continue.

A little practice will give you a feel for when is the right time to switch from one stage of drying to the next.

-Tele

GreatLakes THC

an Arthur P. Jacobs production
Veteran
Good advice...

Good advice...

What they said...
CC and Telepod, good words of advice.

GreatLakes THC

G

Well since your in LA like me, and we have a hot spell coming. I think you'll be just fine without the box fan, just open up the door a few times during the day to exchange the air. So wanna share? Just messin. By the way what is that strain? Is it the Purple Kush I saw you had in previous threads?

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What I do when using a fan, is to situate it under the bud blowing AWAY from the bud. This displaces the air in the closet, drawing air in from the top.
Buying a cheap tabletop oscillating fan will pay off big in your grow space as well as for drying purposes.
Best of luck!

KRS Juan

Thanks for all the replies everyone, things are going very well indeed. I just let them dry on their own and 4 plants are now i curing, 3 are in 72 hours of darkness, and 5 are getting ready to go to darkness.

Telepod: I use those PC fans all over my grow!

Blatant: Damn this heat sucks!!!! It got to 93° in my grow room yesterday (only for about 20 minutes and I fixed the problem). Yes this is all still the purple kush, but keep in mind it's not pure. There was an unkown father used to pollinate a PK female.

Highlighter: Yeah I use an oscillating desk fan and a bunch of pc cpu fans all around my grow room. I just wasnt sure about using one during drying when I posted this.

-KRS Juan-

cough_cough_eer

Anita Bonghitt
Veteran
In the past, my buds have always dried too fast,(3 days)I'm getting ready for a harvest next week. Should I add humidity to the room, or should I hang them for a day then use the paper bags, or just use the bags from the beginning?

I'm gonna try the paper bag method this time. Wish me luck, once I master the drying method,I should have the perfect pot.

BTW I'm growing Dutch Passsions Oasis

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
Highlighter said:
What I do when using a fan, is to situate it under the bud blowing AWAY from the bud. This displaces the air in the closet, drawing air in from the top.
Buying a cheap tabletop oscillating fan will pay off big in your grow space as well as for drying purposes.
Best of luck!

I use almost the same method, don't point the fan directly at the buds as they will dry to quickly. I use the fans to keep the air circulating around the room, and around the buds,(no stagnant air) to keep the mold away. I hang the whole plant, many do not, but I have had the best results that way. Darkness is indeed your friend, use it to your advantage. You'll do fine:cool:

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been smoking some kickass herb dried with no air circulation in a desk drawer. So moving air is nice, but for small amounts of herb it's not absolutely essential. Some of the best herb is dried without much air circulation....

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
Crazy Composer said:
So moving air is nice, but for small amounts of herb it's not absolutely essential. Some of the best herb is dried without much air circulation....

Agreed!:D

Latest posts

Latest posts