What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

drug testing at birth

lohocla420

my wife is an occasional toker and is about 31 weeks into pregnancy. So far everything is perfect but getting down to the final weeks and she is quit as of 2 days ago and curious if tested positive at birth will children services be involved, and or take the baby away?
The herb was always of high quality, Jack Herer, Maui Waui, to name a few. I think she wont even test positive, we still have 8 weeks to due date.

plz dont knock us, I am looking for open, honest answers to my question only and not some unbiased opinions.

Thank You

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
sometimes yes, sometimes no...really depends on your situation. I know a girl that toked right up until the day she delivered, and there were no problems. then, another girl i know smoked up until the last week, but she was on other shit and the baby was premature, so child services were called

good luck and congratulations!

ArcticBlast

JimBeamKush

8 weeks is plenty of time as long as she quits now. Or at least from what I have read.

Let us know your babys birth weight and such, I would be curios to see first hand all of these things I have read about pregnant woman and smokeing making the baby be less weight and stuff.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
8 weeks is plenty of time as long as she quits now. Or at least from what I have read.

Let us know your babys birth weight and such, I would be curios to see first hand all of these things I have read about pregnant woman and smokeing making the baby be less weight and stuff.

I don't know if it's mandatory but I know that I'm on welfare and they tested my wife and baby at birth. Since the nausea finally slacked off after 8 months, my wife was clean for 28 days. Total clean test.

Beautiful baby at 20+inches and over 8lbs. Super healthy, happy and content. She's put on over a pound in less than 2 weeks time and we couldn't be happier.

Considering the effect the Rx anti-nausea pills had on my wife.... there's no way in hell we would have had such a happy wife/baby on that day if she'd taken the pills instead of cannabis. I've heard about women carrying backpack hydrators to combat the dehydration from the nausea.... so dumb.

Couple puffs a few times a day of strong, clean cannabis is all she needed and I would have preferred if she'd been able to use right up until birth.

Stay Safe!

love?

Do they have a reason to suspect prolems with substance abuse? I don't see why they'd do a drug test otherwise... Or even if they do suspect why would they do it? Lots of cost with no benefit to the hospital.

After 8 weeks of sobriety for an occasional toker the test will show up clean for sure btw. Unless they test her hair. If it comes to that just shave all hair off. :D

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Do they have a reason to suspect prolems with substance abuse?
As far as I'm aware, it's mandatory with all welfare babies. Don't know if they do it for folks that actually have money. *shrug*

No, there wasn't anyone suspicious that triggered it. LOL

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
My niece tested positive for MJ when she was born. Social services were at my brother's house pretty quickly. They had her on drops for a while and there were some other hoops they had to jump through.

I hope that's not the case for you guys....I believe in a woman wanting to toke a little during pregnancy. I'd rather see that than a woman downing a grande latte, smoking a cigarette. The trees are good meds for Mommy...

lohocla420

how about a biased opinion?
:no:

well where is it? your biased opinion? edit: ah I see the thumbs down. Clever and witty.

thanks for all the comments. good or bad

love?:
they have no reason to suspect any drug abuse as we only toke for medicinal reasons and we do not even drink alcohol. we are as clean as can be. also her doctor said she is ok to smoke pot if that works for her nausea and cramping, which it does wonders for. I will let my wife know, thanks again evwerybody

lohocla420

I don't know if it's mandatory but I know that I'm on welfare and they tested my wife and baby at birth. Since the nausea finally slacked off after 8 months, my wife was clean for 28 days. Total clean test.

Beautiful baby at 20+inches and over 8lbs. Super healthy, happy and content. She's put on over a pound in less than 2 weeks time and we couldn't be happier.

Considering the effect the Rx anti-nausea pills had on my wife.... there's no way in hell we would have had such a happy wife/baby on that day if she'd taken the pills instead of cannabis. I've heard about women carrying backpack hydrators to combat the dehydration from the nausea.... so dumb.

Couple puffs a few times a day of strong, clean cannabis is all she needed and I would have preferred if she'd been able to use right up until birth.

Stay Safe!

same here hyrdo, my wife was on the antinausea and they created host of other problems. it was a suggestion of mine that she take a few vape hits and since then I told here puff as needed for pain, nuasea and sleeplessness. and with her being off of anti-depression pills marijuana seemed like the best choice for her and my unborn child

Depends where you are at, around here your going to prison or I just don't hear about cases...they are pretty harsh about defining the law around here and that means when the name comes up it's defined.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
A friend of mine works in child abuse for the state in Oregon. He said they do test babies at birth but it didn't seem like there was a rhyme or reason for it. They test some babies and not others. Like a mom that admitted early in pregnancy that she had a vicodan problem years ago.... baby was born and they put a bag around the baby after it was born to collect urine for a drug test.... they didn't even tell the parents what was going on till later when it came back negative. NO consent. Said that if the mother tests positive during the pregnancy for pot then they will test the baby.

So back to the child testing positive for herb, they WONT take the child here. The people that go over the 1007's (abuse report form) make a judgment call based on previous abuse incidents. Usually they do nothing. At the very worst they will try to have a case worker do a home visit which you DO NOT have to let them in. If you did they would only try to give you info and resources for quitting. That's it, at least here.

As a matter of fact there are many, many, many cases every year where a neighbor reports that parents are smoking marijuana and nothing usually happens in regards to child welfare being involved. Most of these families have more to worry about than pot if they're already in the system is the viewpoint.

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
The couple in here that have an issue with smoking and pregnancy....

1. Try being pregnant.
2. Educate yourselves on what "doctors" allow pregnant woman to take (then compare)
3. Think about the shit your wives put in their bodies with food and makeup and hair shit
alone.
4. Hydrosoil knows what the f*ck he's talking about.

L

LolaGal

They will take babies for positive tests for crank, heroin, cocaine.

Never heard of a baby taken for pot.

I do not see why they would test Mom unless she had a history of prior births with positive babies.

If that were the case, I am sure that a move to a new state would avoid testing.

I have delivered a few babies, but never had a routine for checking for drugs. Only when requested by child welfare, or if the Mom admits to drug use prior to birth.

Remember those Thalidomide babies born with no arms, etc? That was a drug given for symptoms of nausea, etc. in the 60s. Flipper armed grandchildren, and great grandchildren are being born still. Lots of reproductive cancers in the children of Thalidomide babies

I think weed won't hurt babies. It makes em smarter!

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Okay now this is something I know nothing about in terms of effects on preganance

On that thought, I really don't have an issue with cannabis and pregnancy but I think I would have to say it's not in the best interest of the mother or child for the mother to be smoking. Anything. Wouldn't edibles be the better choice?

Aren't we still dealing with tar and the other by products of smoke entering the lungs?

No test unless you ask for one. Some midwives recommend it for use during pregnancy and childbirth if you research it. Non-narcotic.

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
Okay now this is something I know nothing about in terms of effects on preganance

On that thought, I really don't have an issue with cannabis and pregnancy but I think I would have to say it's not in the best interest of the mother or child for the mother to be smoking. Anything. Wouldn't edibles be the better choice?

Aren't we still dealing with tar and the other by products of smoke entering the lungs?

Stop and think about the CONSTANT intake of dangerous chemical that every pregnant woman encounters everyday...even doing her best to avoid them. You honestly would have to be pregnant to understand completely how it works. Symptoms of pregnancy are more dangerous than smoking some organic tweeds...which aleviate the symptoms. My pregnant sister in law is all "aahhh no weed"....and she said in the same 5 minutes that she's drinking coffee again. Uh....okay.

Oh yeah....and because she's a brainwashed western medicine nurse....she's taking the nausia pills instead of using a natural plant. She's also the kind of Mom that won't let her kid play in the dirt or be around sick people.....poor kid won't even develope an immune system like normal kids do getting sick and dirty. I think the constantly worried parent that shelters too much and listens to bullshit does the most harm.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
it's not in the best interest of the mother or child for the mother to be smoking. Anything. Wouldn't edibles be the better choice?

Indeed, edibles definitely are! Unfortunately, due to prohibition, cannabis is so expensive that smoking is the only affordable choice for most people. (It's why I grow my own.)

Smoking reduces the amount of oxygen the lungs can absorb/exchange. Smoking catnip, hay, tobacco, rope or anything else is not good for mothers during pregnancy. They're breathing for two and reducing the amount of oxygen being absorbed affects the child directly in development. Don't do it.

Stay Safe and have a happy :xmastree:

Latest posts

Latest posts