What's new

Drug store problems

Smokerman

Veteran
My doctor prescribes me morphine on an ongoing basis. When I saw him 2 weeks ago I suggested dilaudid which I refer to as hydromorph contin . Basically it works better than the morphine. Due to a shortage we switched to morphine. The pharmacist said that she would give me 1 mg because the 3’s aren’t available , I had my doubts but said ok. So she gives me 272 pills for the month. I find out when I get home that they are NOT the continuous release so basically 3 pills at a time ( which is what I’m supposed to take) lasts about 2-3 hours as opposed to 6-8 with the others. I phoned my doctor yesterday and he says no problem and prescribed the morphine.
Keep in mind the pharmacy is 6 steps from the only dr in the building which is my dr. The pharmacy called me this morning and said they have the scrip and it’ll be ready soon. Then she calls me back and says that I have to bring back the original prescription and I ask why.
She says I was prescribed 272 pills 2 weeks ago and should have half left. I asked who decided that? She said that’s policy for pharmacists. I said fuck you, my dr prescribed it. So after a very short argument, I said no.
I then drove to my doctors office and walked past the bitch pharmacist and waited to see my dr.
After I explained what happened he got up and walked to the pharmacy, he got there before me cause I can’t walk so fast.
Whatever he said she listened because she’s gonna have them in the morning.
I hate the bullshit associated with getting a scrip for narcotics filled. Everybody assumes you’re a fucking pill junkie. If I didn’t need them I wouldn’t fucking take them and my dr knows this.
Rant over.

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
I take 2 norcos daily and feel like a criminal at times when at the pharmacy...people put a stigma on folks that need opiates for their chronic pain...it's not right but that's the way it is...you must be a hurtin gator taking all those meds...hope you get to feelin right...

buzzmobile

Veteran
My wife has to jump through the Pain Mgmnt hoop for her tramadol.
I hate the bullshit associated with getting a scrip for narcotics filled. Everybody assumes you’re a fucking pill junkie. If I didn’t need them I wouldn’t fucking take them and my dr knows this.
I have heard these words from her mouth.

I found out morphine and I are not friends when I was hospitalized. Hallucinations ran amok. I was immobile with lots of lines and drains and stuff attached. Auditory, visual, physical terror overwhelmed me. A very kind nurse sat with me in the wee hours, and then I got dilaudid. Such relief and no more morphine on my records now.

Sorry you had to rant, @Smokerman , that sucks.

William76

Dilauded is nice?,its a highly addictive and dangerous drug,same with all these opoids,some folks do need them but if possible I wouldn't take them.u seen drugstore cowboy,that's why it's so hard to get them prescribed,unless u know a quack.76

xtsho

Blame the Sackler family and Purdue Pharma for flooding the streets with oxycontin and creating an army of addicts for causing legitimate users of pain medications to have to jump through hoops these days to get medicine.

The pharmacist was likely just following policies that have been put in place over the last few years due to the opioid epidemic caused by overprescribing of opioids in years past. It sucks that a corrupt family made billions in profits while people that need certain medications are left to deal with the fallout.

CVS and Walgreens ended up paying $10.7 billion and I'm sure that has all pharmacies scared of being sued for filling certain prescriptions.

"The pharmacy chains have also agreed to implement robust controlled substance compliance programs that will require additional layers of opioid prescription reviews and institute new mandatory training programs."

It's a hassle but you did end up getting your pills. I wouldn't blame the pharmacist nor would I attack her with profanity.

I hope you continue to get what you need for your pain management.

Smokerman

Veteran
Blame the Sackler family and Purdue Pharma for flooding the streets with oxycontin and creating an army of addicts for causing legitimate users of pain medications to have to jump through hoops these days to get medicine.

The pharmacist was likely just following policies that have been put in place over the last few years due to the opioid epidemic caused by overprescribing of opioids in years past. It sucks that a corrupt family made billions in profits while people that need certain medications are left to deal with the fallout.

CVS and Walgreens ended up paying $10.7 billion and I'm sure that has all pharmacies scared of being sued for filling certain prescriptions.

"The pharmacy chains have also agreed to implement robust controlled substance compliance programs that will require additional layers of opioid prescription reviews and institute new mandatory training programs."

It's a hassle but you did end up getting your pills. I wouldn't blame the pharmacist nor would I attack her with profanity.

I hope you continue to get what you need for your pain management.
Not trying to be a dick or start an argument but as I said it’s the same dr prescribing both. I’m in Ontario Canada, and our doctors aren’t under the FDA or DEA like the states.
There is a central registry that all narcotic medications are posted by pharmacies.
I have multiple doctors who have prescribed different narcotics and never had this issue before.
For the dr to have fixed the issue tells me the pharmacist was the issue not the system.
I‘ve had issues with pharmacists in the past who make excuses for not filling scrips.
All pharmacies here have to keep narcotics in safe, and I had one tell me who I know just doesn’t like me based on my appearance ( long hair and big bushy beard) tell me she can’t get in the safe .
So the stereotyping is alive and well. I’ve dealt with it my whole life and at this point I won’t stand for it anymore from anybody I’m 65 and paid my dues in life.

xtsho

Not trying to be a dick or start an argument but as I said it’s the same dr prescribing both. I’m in Ontario Canada, and our doctors aren’t under the FDA or DEA like the states.
There is a central registry that all narcotic medications are posted by pharmacies.
I have multiple doctors who have prescribed different narcotics and never had this issue before.
For the dr to have fixed the issue tells me the pharmacist was the issue not the system.
I‘ve had issues with pharmacists in the past who make excuses for not filling scrips.
All pharmacies here have to keep narcotics in safe, and I had one tell me who I know just doesn’t like me based on my appearance ( long hair and big bushy beard) tell me she can’t get in the safe .
So the stereotyping is alive and well. I’ve dealt with it my whole life and at this point I won’t stand for it anymore from anybody I’m 65 and paid my dues in life.

You're not being a dick at all. It must be frustrating dealing with things. I made the assumption you were in the States. I don't know anything about what goes on in Canada regarding prescription drugs. Here they have seriously clamped down on anything opioid related.

William76

I meant the high abuse rates,yea I'm sure it does feel nice,that's the problem,folk taking it when it's not needed coz it feels nice wether u need it or not,and if u do need it for a genuine problem you shouldn't be treated like a junkie,76

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In the USA people with Cancer struggle getting meds for pain management. It is 100% from the BS the Sackler family created. Most people didn't need those drugs. I've had this convo with my Dr. He is more afraid of the DEA taking his license than prescribing opiates to those that need them.

CharlesU Farley

There is absolutely no substitute for opioid painkillers and because of the rampant over-prescribing and profound abuse, people who actually, truly need them are forced to jump through unbelievable fucking hoops just to get the medication that they _need_.

Smokerman, as angry as you must be, at least your physician was in your corner and took care of business with the pharmacist. Here in the US, there would have been hours upon hours of telephone tag, who's responsible for writing the prescription, let's check his opioid ordering history to make sure he's not doc shopping, blah, blah, blah...

Glad things worked out for you, hope you said thanks to the physician, he earned it.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I wonder if it's possible to make your own, like we grow our own. I am entering the stage of my life where I am taking pain killers more often than ever before. I might check into growing poppies and what it takes. I do have room for a very small lab for processing.

buzzmobile

Veteran
I wonder if it's possible to make your own, like we grow our own.
I found this from Rusty Bartel, @Ringodoggie .

https://www.quora.com/profile/Rusty-Bartel
Rusty Bartel
Former Electrical Trainee (2015–2017)Author has 173 answers and 278.5K answer views8mo
Originally Answered: What kind of grow lamp and bulb do I use to grow opium poppies indoors?
I love when people answer with moral judgements when people are seeking knowledge… jerks. Anyways, I know it seems rational to grow poppy’s indoors, especially in regards to their legal status, but unless you have a warehouse amount of room you are never going to be able to produce enough heroin or opium or whatever with just a few plants indoors. You are much better growing outdoors and just being careful that they are not in plain sight after you score the pods. It is not illegal to grow poppies but if any law official saw that the pods were cut to get the milk that is when it becomes illegal. I say all this because the amount of Poppy secretions required to make into any drug or about 1 to 10. So to make any viable amount you are going to need a lot of plants. The book “Opium For The Masses” by Jim Hogshire is very Helpful. If your commited to growing inside “Hydroponic Heroin” by Neil Bunch is a must read as well.

1712224729336.jpeg

RottyRzr

I wanted to ask if anyone else has had trouble getting pain meds while smoking weed? My wife and I have a friend who recently had to have back surgery. She had to have several vertebra fused and a rod screwed to her spine. The doc was gonna prescribe oxycodone for pain relief but when he saw in her records that she reported marijuana use he refused to prescribe the pain med. Weed is legal in our state so I'm confused why he wouldn't prescribe it. She actually had to quit, go back and pass a drug test before he would fill the script. In the mean time she was left with tylenol and ibuprofen. I bet if she was a heavy drinker he would have had no problem writing the script.

OleReynard

When I broke my leg back in "00" they gave me shot of morph, I asked them what is this supposed to be like.
They said a warmness sensation coming over your body.
I said you'd better hit me again cuz this aint getting it

CharlesU Farley

I wanted to ask if anyone else has had trouble getting pain meds while smoking weed? My wife and I have a friend who recently had to have back surgery. She had to have several vertebra fused and a rod screwed to her spine. The doc was gonna prescribe oxycodone for pain relief but when he saw in her records that she reported marijuana use he refused to prescribe the pain med. Weed is legal in our state so I'm confused why he wouldn't prescribe it. She actually had to quit, go back and pass a drug test before he would fill the script. In the mean time she was left with tylenol and ibuprofen. I bet if she was a heavy drinker he would have had no problem writing the script.
Regardless of the geographic location this occurred in, that physician was a asshole, so my guess is it might be here in the US. Maybe things have changed dramatically in the last 20 years since I practiced but most physicians that I was familiar with didn't give a shit whether somebody smoked cannabis or not. All they were interested in was fixing 'em with a scalpel and keeping 'em out of pain after surgery.

Cannabis is mainstream now, can't believe there are still assholes who act like this to patients who need their help.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I did a quick search and it looks like science discovered the "Home Brew" method back in 2015 but I couldn't find any updates. Looks like they posted the breakthrough and then went silent. Maybe someone gagged them out of public safety concerns or one of the big drug companies bought the process, patented it, and now it is shelved. Whatever the reason, I found a lot of 2015 info but no updates,

Just like producing THC in the lab using genetically engineered yeast, this method does the same thing except this yeast turns sugar into morphine (and other opiates). Pretty neat but not likely something we'll all be doing soon.

You wanna get rich rich fast? Find a way to develop this yeast and sell it. :)