What's new

Drive-by heat mapping

Jhhnn

Veteran
View Image
Is old school these days the vast majority of new members are using LEDs with very little heat loss

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-eyes-20...1196660?pt=US_Hydroponics&hash=item3a8f3c4bf4

That isn't really accurate, because watts are watts & they're nearly all converted to heat in the growing process. Only a small % is converted to vegetable matter.

While LED's & CMH may be more efficient meaning less power consumption & less heat, those numbers are still large for a large grow & your place will light up under a thermal scan like Clark Griswold's place in Christmas Vacation.

Probably the best way to reduce detectable heat would be with a bore hole type ground source heat pump used in the cooling mode. Heat is dissipated deep in the ground & only a small fraction ever gets back to the surface.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_heat_pump

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Growing inside "igloos" of 2" polystyrene boards in lofts makes the grow FLIR invisible, that way you are the last house in the street to melt the snow, not the first...

Exhausting vía Chimney always seemed to be the best way to go, it is the logical exit point for heat.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Almost never, better to keep your garden under 30 during "day" and not cook the terpenes to death, than cooler at night just to bring out funky colours.

Plus, especially in Rural areas, you get up to double the atmospheric CO2 levels at night, free yield.

never went for colors. this means I am awake while the lights are on if something goes wrong. got a/c if it gets warm during daylight hours...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I highly doubt most use led..they cost way too much for most ...maybe start a poll... I would bet 70 percent or more use hid or other than led...yeehaw...

the larger CFLs don't seem to stay on the shelves at local box stores, & T-5s move pretty quickly too...

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I know very few led growers... I know plenty of folks using hid,cfl,t5..i have everything but led....yeehaw

Latest posts

Latest posts