What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Drip irrigation

Anybody on here who’s had drip irrigation and went back to hand watering?

I’ve been wondering if roots in areas that don’t get water from the drip end up dying off an the plant just doesn’t get as big.

I’ve been hand watering an it takes me about 4 hours every time to finish. I’d love to use irrigation an it seems to work out from all the photos I’ve seen.

St. Phatty

I started out in Hydro with drip emitters etc.

I spent so much time tweaking the "System" that I got tired of it and went to a manual ebb&flow for rockwool. But it was just 2x 400 watt lights, so one 5 gallon bucket would do the job.

I use hose & bucket watering outdoors, though just for 7 plants.

One of my neighbors sets up the drip line. He's got a few more plants, and it obviously works good.

SuperBadGrower

Damn I am kinda in the same place. I DIYed a ton of things but working with water in that way is just somethng I've never done... I have no idea how to size a pump, never dripped anything. I'm so used to drain to waste by hand. But I really want automation.

The materials to make a proper system aren't readily available where I live. I would have to order online, which is kinda stressful for me compared to going to a store and holding some pvc pipes and seeing if they fit. I have to do a lot of research to order the right parts and then I'm probably still unsure about the water pressure or whatever.

CrushnYuba

That's just not true. Who lives somewhere that doesn't have a plumbing supply house with drip stuff? They sell it everywhere. Local hardware stores. Home chepo carries it but employees are dumb.
A decent store will design it for u.

SuperBadGrower

Oh you're right :) it's just far away and the cheapest dripper they sell are (equivalent) $5,90. I'm actually more interested in a system that can do drain to waste top watering. I've thought about drilling some holes in PVC pipes and placing them over the top of my pots, but prefer the idea of those spray emitters for better spread. Anyway DIY spirit is very low here. Home Depot is a dream... we have 'big' stores with a small selection, for the normal citizen/consumer who wants to paint his walls, lay his floor, replace some power outlet. Any time you venture off the beaten path you run into trouble or you are ripped off hard. I think people don't drip much here we have plenty of rain. I'm sure if I had some experience with water and pumps I would have a lot easier time. I just need to do some more focused researching and get some elbow grease

Latest posts

Latest posts