What's new

DR90Twin 600W Blue Cheese

Lazyeye

Hello ICMag!

I just made a new account to start my very first grow diary, on my very first grow.

So I'm pretty limited in space, I have a room that's 120cm x 220cm that will be dedicated to this project. After much consideration, and a bit of gambling, I decided to go with the Secret Jardin DR90 Twin.

As you can see in the first picture I will use the top chamber (the small one) for vegging, and to keep a mother plant. I will be using a Secret Jardin TNeon with 2x 55w Philips 6500k flourescents. The big toy box is for the motherplant (it's funny pictures because it's innocent! :D). You can also see my exahust fan wich pulls 355m3/h, wich seems to be a bit oversized. Advice on a cheap fan control is most welcome!

In the bottom chamber I will flower the plants. First up is the Spudnik Reflector made by Prima Klima. This was bigger than I thought. The original idea was to keep the exhaust fan next to the reflector, as soon as I mounted the reflector I knew that that wasn't going to happen. Also there is a 400m3 carbon filter in the back, should do the job nicely. I didn't have enough ducting to set it up right now, need to go out and get it before I get flowering.
Inside the Spudnik is a 600W HPS bulb, Sunmaster Deluxe (pic 4). I'm not entirely sure about this one, the spectrum seems to be very high in the yellow, I want alot in the red spectrum right? It will have to do the job the first round anyway... This is powered by a Gavita Digistar 600W dimmable electronic ballast. It even has the option to supe the bulb up to 660W, no idea if this is good or adviceable.

Right now I'm running some tests to see where I'm at temperature wise. The temperature will be my biggest problem in that tiny room, I don't have a proper window. More like a venting hatch, and I want to run it with the door closed most of the day (when I'm at work). So I just got it all together and fired everything up, and after 20 minutes I was already up to 29.5C (85F). This was with the venting hatch closed though. We'll see where I end up, if I need an AC or what the deal is. If anyone know of a cheap AC for small rooms, let me know!

I will be using the hempy bucket method, with straight perlite I think. People seem to get good results with that. And since I'm in an apartment, if I don't have to mix alot of shit together, I'm a happy camper. Figured 5 plants in bloom at a time, maybe even 4. Will veg the plants as long as I can without them being burnt by the CFL's. Will be using the lucas formula.

That's about it for now, I'm glad to finally be at it! Hopefully beans will be popped this weekend (if my testruns are any good).

Take care!

P.S Just did a test for 1-2 hours, running at 600W is no good. 29-30C in flowering chamber and 33-33.5 in veg... Will do another try tomorrow dimmed down to 400w.

Attachments

• Grow 009.jpg
    Grow 009.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Grow 007.jpg
    Grow 007.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Grow 008.jpg
    Grow 008.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Grow 002.jpg
    Grow 002.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Grow 015.jpg
    Grow 015.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 47

Fou

Nice setup u got there!!!
Dont worry about the temps!!MJ just dont like temp fluctuations!!If u keep temps between 10 degres u will have no prob at all,even in 35C!!!
Wish u good luck!!
Keep it up,keep it green!!!

Lazyeye

Thanks Fou! I was pretty pleased when I got it all together :) The statement that the tent only takes minutes to assemble is an utter shameless lie though! (SJ claims this)

I thought that MJ didn't survive over 90F (32.2C)?

Fou

Thanks Fou! I was pretty pleased when I got it all together :) The statement that the tent only takes minutes to assemble is an utter shameless lie though! (SJ claims this)

I thought that MJ didn't survive over 90F (32.2C)?
MJ is a very resistant plant!!
MJ can manage temps over 40C!!
Consider that in place near equator she grows to temps near 40C and she loves it!!!
Hope i helped!!
Good luck!!!

Lazyeye

Finally got off work in time to pick up some more stuff for the grow. I found this little dimming device for the exhaust fan, hopefully it will do the trick.

Testing with dimmed down exhaust and hps at 400w at the moment.

Attachments

• Grow 001.jpg
    Grow 001.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 46

Lazyeye

So I've run it like this for about an hour I think, temp in flower is ~25.5C (78F) and in veg ~29C (84F). So this seems to work like a charm. I'd very much like to be able to run it at 600W though...

Either way, beans will be popped during the weekend! :D

Lazyeye

So I was eager and couldn't wait to get going, decided to do the 24 hour soak starting today! :woohoo:

Tomorrow they are going in to small rockwool cubes. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• Seeds 002_cleaned.jpg
    Seeds 002_cleaned.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Seeds 008_cleaned.jpg
    Seeds 008_cleaned.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 45

Lazyeye

Seeds have been soaking for like 22-23 hours. I gently tapped them with my fingertip and they all sunk, so I guess that's a good sign.

I decided to put some perlite in the bottom of the growbox to keep the moisture level steady. Seen a few others do it like this. I don't really know if it's better to use it than not really, but since it's my first time I really don't know how fast the rockwool dries out.

The rockwool was harder to work with than I thought. I poked some holes with a pencil and put the seeds in, gently covering them up again. Hopefully it will work. They are now resting in a dark spot with a temp around 26.5C (80F). I sprayed some extra on the lid and inside the growbox after the seeds were put in. Hopefully I'll have some babies soon!

Attachments

• Seeds 004_cleaned.jpg
    Seeds 004_cleaned.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Seeds 003_cleaned.jpg
    Seeds 003_cleaned.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Seeds 001_cleaned.jpg
    Seeds 001_cleaned.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 43

Lazyeye

Babies are popping!

First picture is what met my eye earlier today! I'm childishly happy about it, as I said before it's my first grow. Not only that though, I've never (ever!) grown anything before. This small step is a big deal for me:dance013:

What do you guys think? Do they look healthy?

Immediatley when I saw it I put the 3 sprouted ones in bigger rockwool cubes. Again, rockwool is harder to work with than I thought. Might be my perfectionist side that doesn't like the way it looks, but meh, seems to do the job alright. Don't seem to dry out nearly as fast as I thought, then again the ladies don't drink much at this stage.

After the move to bigger cubes I decided to put all five under lights. The one on the far left in the first picture looks like it's about to sprout as well, my guess is that it'll be out by tomorrow. No sign in one cube yet, but it's only been like 2 days, I'm still hopefull.

As you can see my humidity is very low, I sprayed a bit and poured some water in the yellow box but it's still low. Can't really do much about it it seems, I keep the exhaust very dimmed down just to exchange some air. And during winter it's very dry air around here. How important is high humidity for the plants at this stage?

What do you experienced growers suggest to look at when deciding wich one will be kept as a mother plant? And what do you suggest to keep her low and bushy? Just continously top her?

Attachments

• Sprouting 012_cleaned.jpg
    Sprouting 012_cleaned.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Sprouting 011_cleaned.jpg
    Sprouting 011_cleaned.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Sprouting 009_cleaned.jpg
    Sprouting 009_cleaned.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Sprouting 005_cleaned.jpg
    Sprouting 005_cleaned.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Sprouting 004_cleaned.jpg
    Sprouting 004_cleaned.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 44
Very cool! Definitely getting there! I'm interested to see how you end up with the final setup as I'm currently trying to decide between the dr120 and the dr90 tent...

Lazyeye

Thanks Magnificent! I'm pretty eager as well.

From what I can tell this early on you'd be happy with wither one. Great quality tent. I havn't tried any other brand but Secret Jardin just... Breathes quality and durability. Well spent money in my opinion.

Take care.

Lazyeye

Day 2 - all sprouted!

I'm kind of proud of myself. Been reading so much about people who have gotten bunk seeds or any other reason behind shitty germination results. I can proudly say that my germination rate is 100%! :peacock:

As you can see in the pictures them too went in to bigger cubes. I don't think either of these two will be a mother plant, but who knows. I still really don't know what to look for.

Noticed that they are starting to drink a bit more, will be watering 2-3 times a day. Got an idea today about a hempy solution for the vegging plants. Might get it going tomorrow or the day after. Decided to keep them inside the dome since humidity is so low.

I'll be going in to weekly updates as of now, if nothing spectacular happens (or devastating). Doesn't seem to be much interest at this stage anyway. The bolded questions in previous posts are still unanswered, if anyone would like to chime in it's much appreciated.

Until next time, take care.

Attachments

• Sprouting 2 001_cleaned.jpg
    Sprouting 2 001_cleaned.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Sprouting 2 002_cleaned.jpg
    Sprouting 2 002_cleaned.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Sprouting 2 004_cleaned.jpg
    Sprouting 2 004_cleaned.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 41
  • Sprouting 2 005_cleaned.jpg
    Sprouting 2 005_cleaned.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Sprouting 2 009_cleaned.jpg
    Sprouting 2 009_cleaned.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 43

Mikron

Damn I got my Blue Cheese Beans seized at customs coming home from the cannabis cup in 2011. Along with many others :( hahaha the cops said they couldn't afford to bring me over from the island to go to court on the mainland so I never got charged hehehe living on an island for the win.

Lazyeye

Damn I got my Blue Cheese Beans seized at customs coming home from the cannabis cup in 2011. Along with many others :( hahaha the cops said they couldn't afford to bring me over from the island to go to court on the mainland so I never got charged hehehe living on an island for the win.

Ouch that sucked, good thing they didn't charge you though. As I've always said - location location location! :D

5th

Veteran
Very clean lookin' set up you have there. If I didn't enjoi making ugly cabinets so much it would definately be on my "to get" list. Looking forward to the show. :tiphat:

Jnugg

Veteran
What's up lazyeye,just got your pm so here I be...
Everything is looking good but I have some questions about your ventilation.

It looks to me like your fan is set up to pull air into the bottom of tent through one of the passive intakes,then over the plants,over the bulb,through ducting and then dumping that air into the top chamber...am I right about that?

Also what are the ambient temps (temperature of the room the tent sits in and draws air from)?

Also,is that a 4" or 6" exhaust fan?A 4" fan and a 400w HPS will do fine so long as the ambient temps are 65°F to 70°F add a carbon fillter and ambient temps you might want to keep @ 65°F or upgrade to a 6" exhaust fan.In order to run your lamp @ 600w youl deffinitely want to upgrade to a 6" while keeping ambient temps between 65°F & 70°F.

First & foremost I would vent each srction with it's own fan.The reason your top section gets so warm is because it appears your dumping the hot air from the lower section in the top section.

Another thing is dump that hot air into the attic or out a window or to another room,don't recirculate it in the same room that the tent sits in as that will just cause the ambient temps to rise which in return will cause temps in the tent to rise.You could straight shot aircool your light as seen in the ventilation 101 thread,then use a seperate fan to ventilate the grow with that fan pulling stinky air through a carbon filter again as seen in the ventilation 101 thread.

Latest posts

Latest posts