What's new

Dr. Mantis Toboggan's Perpetual Tent of Wonder, Dreams, Highs, Lows, Enemies, Friends, and Maybe - Just Maybe - Even You

Let's decide this once and for all!

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpigjnKl7nI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdzH_aSL-6k

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYtFH2bFCfg

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx5YqFKjTCY

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5BdyIGtYcg

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PVal8Fy7CM

• Total voters

rindindoo

your plants look happy, and I am happy for your success!

did you leave a clone of the GG male? this is great! Surely you would like to get some seeds from its pollen? if your camera with a male is nearby there is a risk of excessive pollination, have you figured out how to protect girls from rampant swinger parties?

Last edited:

Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Continued lollipopping the Panama clone today. Raised the light and fan, as the fan was beginning to eat the leaves of the Panama clone.

Panama clone (left) and GG clone (right):

20231213_081540.jpg

GG is farthest along in flower formation:

20231213_080832.jpg

MN Tangie clone (left) and Panama mother (right):

20231213_081910.jpg

The party:

20231213_085217.jpg

your plants look happy, and I am happy for your success!

did you leave a clone of the GG male? this is great! Surely you would like to get some seeds from its pollen? if your camera with a male is nearby there is a risk of excessive pollination, have you figured out how to protect girls from rampant swinger parties?
Thanks, @rindindoo! I don't have a GG male. Perhaps you're thinking of the BB male? I killed the clone in the 3 gallon pot and gave the father to a friend. No swingers for me yet.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Took a clone from the Panama mother and from the GG #4 mother for my friend on 12/16.

I'm noticing some discoloration in the MN Tangie clone:

20231217_091426.jpg

20231217_091456.jpg

Thoughts? Think it could use a feeding?

I'm a bit concerned about the density of the Panama clone. Lots of tops are covered by fan leaves of other tops:

20231217_094343.jpg

It's a bit over 3 weeks into flowering. Is it too late to continue defoliating?

On a similar note, I keep having lower areas of the GG #4 produce lateral branches. It started flowering at the same time as the Panama clone. Is it too late to remove those?

20231217_094536.jpg

Sasult

I trim and do a light defoliation around day 21, unless they are getting too tall then it is sooner. It works out good for me, so ya week 3 sounds right.
That, one topping, and lollipopping them a week before flip is all the trimming I do. The hardest part is not to mess with them sometimes.

LG/

Go ahead and defoliate/clean as much as you can. If it's not getting direct light, it won't be a big loss to take it off. And less to trim later. But it shouldn't hurt anything to remove them.
I like to leave the big fan leaves though, just snip the part with the flowers. They can still use the energy from the fans.
I'd say no to a feed, but am open to others opinions. It still looks like possible overfeeding to me. Except the purple on the fans has me second guessing that. So Id like to hear more opinions.

rindindoo

cool jungle party! Don’t be afraid to trim leaves that shade promising shoots; some leaves can be hidden by bending them to minimize stress. and yes, having cut off the lower shoots, they are of little use; the plant spends energy on them that would be better directed to the upper ones. I think you're right, MN Tangie wants to eat. from the moment the light regime changes to 12/12, the plant grows intensively and nutrient consumption reaches its maximum values, and this lasts, depending on the strain, approximately four to six weeks. therefore, if you haven’t fertilized for a long time, then most likely she is hungry, if you fertilized but there was no positive result, a lockout is possible due to an incorrect pH.

rindindoo

"Except the purple on the fans has me second guessing that."

This can be similar to phosphorus deficiency, it can be caused by an acidic environment in the soil, and increased acidity of the substrate can be a consequence of excess fertilizer.

Doc, how long have you been fertilizing MN Tangie?

On the other hand, I see that the Panama clone looks healthy and well-fed, I would even say he is on the verge of an overdose. Dubi recommends medium-low concentrations of fertilizer for his sativa strains. That's why I'm more inclined to believe that Tangie is hungry.

blondie

You can tuck fan leaves, re-arrange branches for more light and trim lower small nonsense buds off. Keep in mind One school of thought, which I subscribe to, is defoliating (I mean removing your fan leaves) is actually counter productive. This is a debate and others believe the opposite. Not interested in getting into what’s right/wrong in your grow thread. I agree with LG, over nuted, possible ph. Assuming the very end of the leaf tips in that picture are on the same plant. Look close on the left at the picture. You can see the very end of leaf tips and they look slightly burned to me. If the slightly purplish color gets more intense then something else is happening. I’ve seen and had purpling and called it molybdenum issues. Not certain I was correct on that though. Your plant looks pretty good to me at this point.

LG/

I see a hungry plant. Leaf problems indicate phosphorus deficiency. I remember that you have fertilizers for the flowering phase, use them, but be careful with the dosage and do not expect damaged leaves to recover.
I tend to agree. As it is progressing now it seems like that plant is hungry. I'd go with medium strength feed, or better yet a couple light feeds in a row. Ime better to do little bits of nutrients at a time.

rindindoo

I like the second option, divide the dose into two waterings. it will be difficult for a plant that lives in starvation to absorb the entire portion at one time, especially in a small pot (small root system).

I’m also not a supporter of picking off leaves, firstly, these are solar panels that provide energy to the plant, secondly, they are a warehouse of nutrients, and finally, thirdly, they are the first to take the blows of fate :)
I tend to agree. As it is progressing now it seems like that plant is hungry. I'd go with medium strength feed, or better yet a couple light feeds in a row. Ime better to do little bits of nutrients at a time.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan

The MN Tangie clone is not needing a watering yet, so I haven't fed it today. I did however feed the MN Tangie and GG mothers ½ cap (2 tsp.) of the Espoma liquid nutrients. I'm probably going to give/throw these away, so this is also an experiment to see how they respond to a full feeding.

Latest posts

Latest posts