What's new

Dr. Drew: world class shithead

When he's not speaking in circles about the evils of marijuana, he's going after snagging some strange. Railing against the new film "Friends with Benefits," Drew writes:
I was giving a lecture at the University of Maryland eight or 10 years ago, and I was describing “friends with benefits,” and I said, “You know, on paper it looks great.” And some kid yelled out, “Yeah, so does communism!” Which is very much the point: that just because something looks good on paper and sounds good intellectually doesn’t mean it’s good for the human experience. Humans don’t operate like that. Inevitably, an attachment occurs, a bond occurs, and feelings develop. Even though people swear off it, somebody develops some kind of feelings. The only scenario where I see it work is when very young screwballs are just kind of messing around, or in two sex addicts acting out together. That can go on for a while. If people are really in trouble emotionally and they’re just mutually exploitative for sex addiction, that kind of works. But, just like every other addiction, it eventually goes down in flames. So it only works for a while.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl.../articles+(The+Daily+Beast+-+Latest+Articles)
Amanda Marcotte counters:
The fallacy Dr. Drew is employing here is called the "No True Scotsman" fallacy. His argument is that "friends with benefits" is unhealthy and therefore can't work. If you point out examples of when it does work, he simply dismisses them by saying that anyone who makes it work must be mentally ill, i.e., no true healthy person could do it. You need no external proof of their unhealthiness, of course. Simply enjoying a sexual relationship outside of the context of a movement toward commitment is proof in itself that you're a "sex addict" or otherwise broken. It's a neat bit of circular logic.

ijim

Whats a Dr. Drew? Don't you think when you look to deep into the meaning of things you just ruin whatever you are looking at. Ignorance is truly bliss.

C

Classy@Home

Isn't he a dermatologist or something?

He is a publicity whore, on par with Paris Hilton and Octomom - no discernible talent, no redeeming qualities, and an uncanny ability to fellate the mainstream media.

Loser, talentless hack...

Stranger

Opportunistic prick, exploiting individuals for gain.

Dr.Phil, Dr.Drew, Dr.Ruth ... Dr.Pepper all brand names meant for consumption.

" If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill 'em":dueling:

How is anyone going to tell me if I'm o.k, if I don't know myself?

Losing proposition from the start, no thanks.

:joint:

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
I personally don't believe in it, but that is besides the point.

People who think they understand life, and the path to being a happy well centered individual are really just grasping at what they need to be true in order to have what they feel is a balance in life.

Its such a silly thing, not only to believe you have some grand understanding of life and how it should be lived, but also that you are so well versed in it that you have the arrogance to think you have the answers not only for yourself, but for other people as well is really delusional.

Honestly I think its a little sad when people have such a rigid concept of the world that they can't even fathom a premise that is different than their beliefs.

You see it a lot with religion, or politics, or any other way that people make a physical template for their ideological platitudes. Its not even about the truth, its about making things conform to their understanding of the world. If they didn't believe their own bullshit they couldn't justify telling other people how to live, and how they should feel and behave.

Not everyone is the same, so that old idea that everyone will be happy if they get married, have kids, go to church on sunday and have two beers afterwards for the football game is the secret to a happy life has been proven false.

The idea that the same scenario might be specifically what makes someone unhappy just does not compute in their narrow understanding of the world.

I personally don't believe in it, but that is besides the point.

People who think they understand life, and the path to being a happy well centered individual are really just grasping at what they need to be true in order to have what they feel is a balance in life.

Its such a silly thing, not only to believe you have some grand understanding of life and how it should be lived, but also that you are so well versed in it that you have the arrogance to think you have the answers not only for yourself, but for other people as well is really delusional.

Honestly I think its a little sad when people have such a rigid concept of the world that they can't even fathom a premise that is different than their beliefs.

You see it a lot with religion, or politics, or any other way that people make a physical template for their ideological platitudes. Its not even about the truth, its about making things conform to their understanding of the world. If they didn't believe their own bullshit they couldn't justify telling other people how to live, and how they should feel and behave.

Not everyone is the same, so that old idea that everyone will be happy if they get married, have kids, go to church on sunday and have two beers afterwards for the football game is the secret to a happy life has been proven false.

The idea that the same scenario might be specifically what makes someone unhappy just does not compute in their narrow understanding of the world.

I agree with most of what you said. But I think that some day we will be able to quantify real truth, and also make judgements about who lives "better" in a meaningful sense.

I have found Sam Harris to be very persuasive here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj9oB4zpHww

[youtube]Hj9oB4zpHww[/youtube]

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I used to listen to Dr. Drew a lot, mostly because I liked listening to Adam Carolla, who would just rip into their Loveline callers.

Now that Adam's gone, so is my interest.

I've seen the celebrity rehab shows once or twice. Not my cup of tea.

G

guest121295

Remember that guy who wrote the book "I'm ok, you're ok." Then he killed himself.

genkisan

Cannabrex Formulator
Veteran
Dr Drew, Dr Phil and all the other opinionated, arrogant choad-sucking fuck-monkeys posing as experts so they can give bullshit advice to brainless ruminant morons should be boiled alive in rancid hippo semen while munching on moosecock sammiches.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Yeah I understand him going after the other drugs i.e. cocaine/meth/alcohol what I don't get is him going after "cannabis". That is just sad.....They make no distinction in that show which makes it a farc in my eyes. peace out headband707

H

h^2 O

no Colonel Sanders, momma's right!

I mean Dr. Drew is right and the lady even admitted it - individuals capable of sustaining that long term must have a mental illness or personality disorder

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
Dr Drew, Dr Phil and all the other opinionated, arrogant choad-sucking fuck-monkeys posing as experts so they can give bullshit advice to brainless ruminant morons should be boiled alive in rancid hippo semen while munching on moosecock sammiches.
please quit sugar coatin ur opine. Tell Us u really feel!! LMFAO

Whoa. What do you have against Dr. Ruth? She's not arrogant or judgmental. She just wants everyone to get laid and enjoy sex, safely of course.

G

greenmatter

at least Dr. Pepper only trashes your body.... and i have to agree with MV .......all dr. ruth ever wanted is everyone to have some good nookie. these other two gasbags on the other hand are permanent brain damage in three piece suits, so i think G is right..... we should be heating up the rancid hippo semen

Dankgravy

Someone didn't get my joke :) If you listen to Loveline, Dr. Drew's answer for EVERYTHING is that the person was abused as a child