What's new

Dr Bruce Bugbee - Toward an Optimal Spectral Quality for Plant Growth and Development

SuperBadGrower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXkYPN3HD6A
Oct 19 2019

In this video, Dr. Bruce Bugbee summarizes the dual effects of photon quality on photosynthesis and plant shape. Spectral quality has an enormous effect on shape, but the effect varies among species. Conversely, the effect of spectral quality on photosynthesis is nearly constant among species, but our definition of photosynthetic photons may need revision to include both far-red photons and UV photons between 360 and 400 nm.

VIDEO CONTENT

2:48 The nine cardinal parameters that affect plant growth

3:59 Summary of spectral effects: 30 years of Bruce's photobiology research on 1 slide.

8:31 How colors of light penetrate leaves

9:36 Efficiency of LEDs

13:00 Spectral Effects: blue photon fraction and yield of cannabis

16:54 Edges of photosynthetic radiation. Why our definition of photosynthetic photons may need a revision by adding far-red and UV. How our definition of photosynthetic photons is influenced by the Emmerson enhancement effect and the McCree curve.

Enjoy!

SuperBadGrower

If anything, watch 13:00

Thank you so much Bruce Bugbee & associates

If these results are replicable, a lot of people are going to get really angry hehe

Last edited:

SuperBadGrower

Wow... Addendum: Far-red: The Forgotten Photons

In this video, Dr. Bruce Bugbee reviews recent research on the powerful effect of far-red photons on plant growth and development. The summary includes the evidence for the direct value of far-red photons in photosynthesis as well as their value in promoting leaf expansion rate in lettuce. The evidence indicates that we need to redefine photosynthetic photons to include wavelengths beyond 700 nm. The availability of efficient far-red emitting LEDs means that there are immediate commercial applications of this research for indoor agriculture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS7aAcacfgk

G13Fan

Wow... Addendum: Far-red: The Forgotten Photons

In this video, Dr. Bruce Bugbee reviews recent research on the powerful effect of far-red photons on plant growth and development. The summary includes the evidence for the direct value of far-red photons in photosynthesis as well as their value in promoting leaf expansion rate in lettuce. The evidence indicates that we need to redefine photosynthetic photons to include wavelengths beyond 700 nm. The availability of efficient far-red emitting LEDs means that there are immediate commercial applications of this research for indoor agriculture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS7aAcacfgk

Well... were waiting!

Mr. J

Funny how everyone went all the way from "You only need blue and red" to "Basically all the colors and also UV and far red". I think the answer to the the question of what is the best artificial light for growing plants is really simple. It's the light that best replicates the light of the sun.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
About 10 seconds of that last video almost told us about plants feeling at risk, getting into flower sooner. Much like being pot bound can be a trigger.

I have used far-red as a tool to promote stretching. With this academic confirmation, I feel more comfortable with my results. My grow is a mix of various plants. Attaining an even canopy is a large part of getting it right. Where a plant is getting behind, because it's not so tall, I can use far red on that plant to make it taller.

Each photon of light, be them far red, red, blue, whatever, will grow as much plant. So If I put 15% more light over a plant using red red, it's going to grow 15% more. This 15% more is of the stretchy kind of growth though. If I instead used 15% more blue, I would be making more stocky growth so loosing my shorter plant in the shadows. It's the fact that it's 15% more of the stretchy kind, that gets my plant up to the height of it's sisters.

Being the height of it's sisters, increases it's yield. Not just by 15%, but more because it's now got a better position in the canopy.

Our plants are shade avoidance plants. The increase in far red is seen as a shade situation. The response is to stretch. It's not usually useful for us to grow more stem. It's things like leafy greens that really want far red. Their response to shade, is grow bigger leaves. Or plants will also do the bigger leaves, but high up, where they think they can get light and shade their neighbours. This extra leaf is of limited use. It's often just shading leaves they already had lower down. Or shading neighbouring plants. It's a rare case where this kind of elongated growth is of use to us.

I dangle a 100w incandescent lamp over lagging plants. It's been more of an experiment than a relied upon tool. Something found in my pictures, but not spoke of in this great a detail. But it does seem to be true.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
Funny how everyone went all the way from "You only need blue and red" to "Basically all the colors and also UV and far red". I think the answer to the the question of what is the best artificial light for growing plants is really simple. It's the light that best replicates the light of the sun.

that's like saying the best substrate that works best should replicate soil.:tiphat:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Keep in mind, everything is relative. This information was accumulated while doing experiments on yield only. The structural flower formation of cannabis has a lot to do with spectrum, and what grows the highest yield also tends to grow very leafy cannabis.

Always keep things in perspective. I can't wait for him to be able to replicate his experiments with resin/terpene production as the main goal. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts