What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DP Flo, PPP and ?!?

RubbaDub

Hi ladies and gents!

I started my second grow on Sunday, July 20th. I popped 5 DP Flo beans into soil and put cuttings into soil. The 4 out of 5 of the Flos hatched quickly and were showing green within a few days. Quite impressive, actually. The one that didn't hatch I replaced with a new bean and it has done a marvelous job of catching up.

The PPP cuttings are from my favorite PPP lady from my first grow. I did experiments with storing some of the cuttings in the fridge for about 3 weeks, so there's 6 of those. The other 7 are fresh cuttings. I used olivia's cloning gel before putting them into muddy soil. I'll keep the best cuttings and maybe give a few to a friend.

Once the veg period is over, I want to try some south african sativas 12/12 from seed. Right now it looks like it might be Seedsman's African Buzz, which is Malawi Gold x Malawi Gold.

The soil is Fox Farms' Ocean Forest. Lights are cheapo 30 watt CFLs x 4.

Here's a few pix, nuttin' too exciting just yet:

BTW, thanks to Elevator Man for all of his work with Flo. He's done a great job of bringing this magical hybrid to our attention!

The Hummus Monk

Veteran
High five for Flo!

High five for Flo!

Hey there,

Just wanted to let you know I've got a little Flo grow going on too that I'm documenting here:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=94965&highlight=flo

Great to see you giving them a go too. Would have got the DJ variety but didn't know enough about the origins of the strain and all his hard work.

Anyway, i'm looking forward to seeing how yours fair. I seem to a have one with quite a bit of purpling and two others with medium amounts.

Peace

:joint:

RubbaDub

The Hummus Monk said:
What's the crack? How they looking?

Hehe. I took some photos yesterday, but they didn't come out like I hoped. I'm gonna retake them this afternoon. Wanted to show off the purple veins. In the light I took them in, they just looked green. More later today.

RubbaDub

Alright. Here's the day 15 update.

Not a lot of growth yet. Last night I noticed some weird spots on 3 of the young'uns leaves. :badday: It might be because I hadn't been running the fan in the grow room, and I've been lazy about turning on the vortex to circulate the air. :bashhead: I thought that in the first weeks, keeping the door open would be enough. Maybe not. I will post close ups in the infirmary to find out if it's serious and if there's any kind of remedy.

Group shot:

Spotty plants:

The Hummus Monk

Veteran
Hey there,

They look pretty dry to me...I kept my seedling compost nice and moist with a sprayer...also it looks like they're ready to re-pot. Get them in their final grow pots now I reckon. If you're using soil all the way then I can heartily recommend what I'm using: 40%B&Q Multi, 40% J Immes no.3, 20% perlite. Even 30% perlite would be fine...those Sativas like a good aerated sandy soil and in the case of Flo...steady but not overpowering nutes. With that soil mix above you wouldn't need to feed for a good stretch (I'm growing outside so for me I'm about 2-3 weeks away from needing to feed).

What's your seedling mix?

MapleMonk

hi, been growing the DP-flo myself and its for sure a nice n tasty plant !
about youre plants, what soil do you use ? do you already gave them some food ? do you use this light for the whole grow ?
normaly such things are getting better with time, but its not normal at all. if you have the possibility transplant them in bigger pots with a !!good!! soil give them enough lumen and they will grow as hell.

hope you dont mind:

some purple flo

same plant in reveg

RubbaDub

Whoa! Replies from two Monks! :bigeye:

I hate to admit it, but I think my Flos are fried. pH has gone up in my tap water and since I didn't check beforehand, I think that and possibly the soil being too rich is overloading the little ones.

HM: The soil wasn't that dry. It's a case of nute burn. I found out that the pH of my tap water has gone up a bit since my last grow, which is contributing to it.

I'll come right out and say it - I didn't know until now that seedlings need a different soil mix than mature plants. I used Fox Farms Ocean Forest, which is considered a pretty easy to use and safe soil mix. The shop where I bought it actually advertises it as a good mix for seedlings. I checked Fox Farm's website and found out that they have a different mix called Light Warrior for this purpose, so I will give that a try. I've got a big bag of perlite too, so depending on the LW mix, I'll probably add some to it.

Luckily it's no problem to get more seeds.

MM: Thanks for your reply and your photos. Flos sure are pretty! :canabis:

RE: lights, I only used the CFLs for starting them. I switched to my 400W MH, since the PPP cuttings look ready for more action.

happysun

That sucks! I was reading the thread because I just started growing some flo and it definitely came to an unexpected conclusion. So they are for sure done for?

I didn't have much better luck with mine. I only tried 5 seeds because of space issues, but 1 didn't pop, 1 poped weakly and died, 1 was a runt, and 2 grew ok. I grew them in 16 oz cups with coco,perlite and worm castings and they didn't seem to like it. Compared to other seeds they just seem weak.

RubbaDub

week 3, inept at photography....

week 3, inept at photography....

I made two attempts to shoot my Flos last night and both times got very blurry results. Not getting along with the macro mode on my camera. I'll make another attempt tonight, maybe less stoned. :bigeye:

I am happy to report that the flos have recovered from the fert overload from the FFOF. Over the weekend, I repotted them into 1 gal containers with a 50/50 mix of FFOF and Light warrior. Here's two pics that did come out:

On Friday, to celebrate getting my MMJ paperwork into the state, I planted two Seedsman African Buzz (Malawi Gold x Malawi Gold), two HQS Durban Poison, and four Johnny Blaze seeds. I used FF Light Warrior with a bit of coco mixed in as the medium. Nothing to report on those just yet.

The PPP clones are starting to grow nicely. You can definitely tell that they're sativa leaning from the skinny leaves.

RubbaDub

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Were they DJ Shorts or Dutch Passion Flos? I'm no expert, but your soil mix sounds reasonably safe, even for Flo.

happysun said:
That sucks! I was reading the thread because I just started growing some flo and it definitely came to an unexpected conclusion. So they are for sure done for?

I didn't have much better luck with mine. I only tried 5 seeds because of space issues, but 1 didn't pop, 1 poped weakly and died, 1 was a runt, and 2 grew ok. I grew them in 16 oz cups with coco,perlite and worm castings and they didn't seem to like it. Compared to other seeds they just seem weak.

RubbaDub

WK4 Update

WK4 Update

¡hola!

Here's the 4 week update.

First a group shot showing the PPP clones and Flos:

And now, for the biggest and healthiest of the flos, which I'm calling Flo 1. She's about 10 inches tall. Seems quite happy and starting to show pre-hairs. I attempted topping her over the weekend. Hoping she responds well to it.

Here's Flo2, also fairly healthy:

Flo3 is incredibly sensitive to nutes. All of the flos are in a 50/50 mix of Fox Farms light warrior and ocean forest. This one just seems to want no nutrients at all. I sprayed her down with a light solution of distilled water and epsom salts and watered her with it. Calmed her down before when she overloaded as a seedling.

And the newest member of the current grow, a Seedsman African Buzz seedling, about 2 weeks from germination:

The PPPs are growing strong - strong and lanky, just like the sativa leaning mom they were cut from. I topped two of them and FIM'ed another to see how they like it.

RubbaDub

No, not feminized. I don't play with that. I tend to refer to plants as "she" unless they prove to be otherwise.

The Hummus Monk said:
Looking good! Are they feminized? Going to be posting more pics on my thread soon too.

RubbaDub

Hiya,

Alright, alright... keep yer pants on! :biglaugh:

After the last nute freakout, I repotted the Flos 2-5. They've been pretty happy since then. Looks like adding a bit of dolomite to the soil has helped.

Brought the Flos outside since the grow room is a bit crowded. Some of the pix are a bit blurry because of the wind that was blowing. You still get an idea of the plant structure.

Flo 1, which has the beautiful purple stems. She's shown sex and looks to be a lady. :jump: I think that I might make some cuttings from her.

Flo 2 recovered fairly well from the repotting after the latest nute overload. I think that this one is a green pheno, as are the rest.

Flo 3, also recovering from the repotting. Leaves look a bit wonky.

Flo 4. It's a bit shorter than the previous 3, but catching up in size.

And Flo 5, a bit of a runt. Definitely a slow growing one and a bit weird looking. Probably a result of nute abuse, but who knows. I'm gonna grow it out all the same. Sometimes the odd girls are the most fun. :smoke:

:smoke:

Last edited:

Endo

IcMag Resident Comic Relief
Veteran
howdy, nice show.. just finished up some flo, and let me tell you i think your first pheno is a winner. seems to be very close structure to the one i just harvested. very nice growing plant, very pretty colors, havnt smoked it yet, gonna try my hardest to wait. hope you dont mind, but hopefully you end up with something that looks like this.

RubbaDub

Wow. That's a beaut! I saw your other pix in the BB/Flo/F13 thread. Gives me something to look forward to.

Was yours from DJ Short or DP seeds? How long did you veg yours?

Endo said:
howdy, nice show.. just finished up some flo, and let me tell you i think your first pheno is a winner. seems to be very close structure to the one i just harvested. very nice growing plant, very pretty colors, havnt smoked it yet, gonna try my hardest to wait. hope you dont mind, but hopefully you end up with something that looks like this.

Endo

IcMag Resident Comic Relief
Veteran
pretty sure the friend, got dj shorts right off of seedboutique.. i didnt vegg for that long being that this one was grown in a 1 gal pot. definitly could use a butload of training and some special attention. but i smoked an uncured nugg last night and it ripped my face off... really nice stuff. definite keeper.
good luck with yours.

Endo

RubbaDub

Sorry about the lack of updates. I've had my hands full, building a new flowering room and then coming down with a nasty case of fungus gnats.

Flo specific news: I culled the two that were hanging out in the veg room. They were short and weird. One was a full blown hermie, the other a male. In the bloom room, I have one that is doing well. She smells very chocolatey and will probably be a medium yielder. The other one that remains, I haven't checked for scent, but she has tiny buds. I'm gonna hang on to her for now, hoping that she will yield some good smoke in the end. There was a third one, one that smelled sort of sweet, maybe appley. I had to pull her out because I found tons of balls and nanners on her. That was a real heartbreaker because she looked like she was going to be a good yielder - big buds and pretty foxtails. Who knows how many of my other ladies got knocked up with hermie dust before I found out.

Most of the PPP clones are doing well. One got hit really badly with fungus gnat maggot root rot. I think that she'll recover. Keeping my fingers crossed.