What's new

do's/dont do's in amsterdam

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
they stand in the windows? really? now THAT is advertising like it oughta be. no "scratch & sniff" posters, huh...damn!:)

Yeah, like this:

format1

L00Pbackline

DO: Certainly get high :dance013:
DON'T: Act like a jackass. Imagine it was your town and you'd be living next to a coffeshop so be friendly and don't yell on the streets.
Steriotype tourists acting like springbreakers are a NoGo!
And in gerneral drinking alcohol in public is forbidden in the whole of the netherlands.
cheers!

rambone

DO: roll a fat joint of some kind, and sip a Heineken at a canal side bar in the evening
and watch out for them fucking bikes

THC123

Veteran
And in gerneral drinking alcohol in public is forbidden in the whole of the netherlands.

no you would be confusing NL with saudi arabia:D , there are bars and terraces everywhere

but coffeeshops do not serve alcohol

L00Pbackline

no you would be confusing NL with saudi arabia:D , there are bars and terraces everywhere
Oh i'm sorry i think i was a bit unclear, you are allowed to drink in bars and at home but not somewhere in the streets.You won't be bothered in Amsterdam, but we went to a small town at the beach and ran into some cops and they told us.
:tiphat:

zoidb3rg

walk out of the train stationand find dakroon coffee shop, it has a neon green crown as a sign, walk in, order blueberry haze, if they still have it, get a gram, smoke the whole thing, leave, find the grey area, order anything on their menu, it's almost all DNA genetics, and GREAT stuff. if you still can function, i would recommend going to the main red light district walking around and lookin at the sights, the canals and just the way things are there. it just might change your perception of how you want to live your life. i was there for about 5 weeks in the fall and enjoyed every minute of it. still did not see everything... the heineken tour is awesome too.

The shop this guy means is actually called De kroon, not sure what it means but i love the place. Just opposite is a bar that plays the football games, we got our weed, went across the alley and got smashed and stoned whilst watching the footie, Lovely way to spend an afternoon!

THC123

Veteran
Oh i'm sorry i think i was a bit unclear, you are allowed to drink in bars and at home but not somewhere in the streets.You won't be bothered in Amsterdam, but we went to a small town at the beach and ran into some cops and they told us.

ow ok now i see , well i know it is not ok to be drunk in public but normally they shouldn't make a prob , but your prolly had the bad luck of ending up in an uptight village , cuz normally as long as you act normal and don't puke and act totally drunk they shouldn't make probs

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
heres what I can figure about drinking in public... if you look scruffy/wasted/stoned you may well get a ticket and told to move along... if you're wearing a suit n tie, no one says a thing.... que sera ;)

also... if you're walking and drinking a can its way more "accepted" than if you stop and sit down with a 6 pack :)

B

Buffoonman

Hmm I dont know about a non crack city there was plenty being sold in Dam square when i was there and show me a working girl that dosn't smoke it. I'm not suggesting you get some, stick to the herb but be warned it is there.

THC123

Veteran
maybe it where the coke hero hash guys you see in maastricht also :D

they always ask in french coke hero hash?

and i always say non merci in a friendly manner , greet and keep on walking

buddah

Life is one big grow........
Veteran
psss psss coke cyrstal crack heroin......xtc....psss psss

Last edited:

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
do : have a good time.
don't : get jacked on warmoesstraat.
see >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr1it176qss

do : something other than just smoke weed.
don't : buy kif (that stuff supports glass-weed!)

do : a hotel with a safety deposit box!
don't : take your passport to coffeeshop as ID (you will loose it!)

do : get some ID if you look younger than the 18+ age limit
don't : get pissed when they refuse to serve you spirits if still under 21!

do : some imported hashish on a pipe
don't : eat too much space cake (if its not banned already like bon-bons are?)

do : remember that you are inside someones house at a coffeeshop.
don't : take the piss!
do : hit the green label on the drinks can-machine a Heineken pops out :friends:
don't : tip unless the service was good!

do : check the coin return on random telephones in redlight for bags of weed!
don't : expect the free-weed in those coin returns to be any good!.. lmfao

do : get high and wander aimlessly about the streets for an hour, afternoon
don't : wander down a dead end or the wrong street aimlessly!

do : beyond the redlight area,, the weeds often better and the people can be nicer
don't : cross the road without looking both ways! they drive on the wrong side.. lol

do : plan your route before you leave the hotel if you want to get somewhere
don't : plan your route by map in the straat like a tourist with a "rob me" sign on your back!

do : smile at nice ladies,, they often smile back
don't : smile at any ladyboys in bars, (unless that's your thing)

do : visit the redlight area and Warmoesstraat, they are interesting places.
don't : buy junk off junkies in the street!

do : tell the junkies "NO" and they move on
don't : touch anyone you don't know in Amsterdam (it's a Golden Rule!)

do : pick food shops and restaurants wisely, eat some fresh fish!
don't : eat from those boxes in the wall! that stuff is for fiends and tramps! lol

do : buy straight-edge relatives some cloggs or a windmill , or something as a memento
don't : mention the redlight area to anyone that isn't open minded yet when you get home - otherwise they might try and ban it!

mainly have fun! and come back home it one piece!

DONT SMUGGLE DRUGS !! (unless that's your prerogative) :D

peace n flowers

Last edited:

biteme

good points doc leaf, and i will comment on a few more others made.

when it comes to the bikes, they are rolling at all hours and often in pedestrian areas. these bicycles all have one of those little bell ringers and the riders use them. this will be a new sound for you but tune into it fast! these riders are pretty good, but help them out. listen, especially behind you.

as far as jails; i understand there are some in old dam built in the early 17th century that are still used. called dungeons?

it's been a few years since my last trip to adam but i doubt much has changed. when it comes to tourists and hard drugs my first solicitations are always in the same spot. bridges cross the canals approximately a block apart and the bridges into the red lights are manned by these crews offering to sell narcotics. my last trip the gangs on the bridges were almost exclusively north africans. try to ignore these mooks or wave them off quickly. if you talk to them at all the next thing is they will try to press something into your hands which they consider a sale!! and shitty economy makes them more desperate. and aggressive. they cannot stand the thought of the tourist taking the money to the red lights without them getting their fairshare?

and mr. skankwhisperer, i would interested in hearing you embellish on adventures with the blue lights?

here is my final bit of advice on your visit to adam: for whatever reason, the dutch have grown up with a good sense of proper etiquette and extremely good manners as well as in speech, at least compared to americans. it probably has a lot to do with royalty and their queen and such but regardless, think before you speak and try to be on your very best behaviour at all times. this is not the usa. proper manners will carry you farther with the dutch than money. they are not seeking nor expecting tips for the most part.

peace-biteme

Puffin13

Lifetime Supporter
ICMag Donor
Veteran
do : a hotel with a safety deposit box!
don't : take your passport to coffeeshop as ID (you will loose it!)

In many coffeeshops, your passport is the only ID that is accepted. Copies are not accepted.