What's new

DOs and DONTs of rental property growing

M

Mr.Howie

Well well yall. I am about to venture out of my small 2k watt grow and move into (hopefully) several rental property grows. Was hoping to get some advice from people that have been there...and are there.

kingdome

it sucks, no good advice as it just plain sucks renting and growing. period.

a lease option can put you more in control and make you less likely to have a confrontation over your im assuming medical marijuana use lol.

are you a legal patient or trying to grow in a rental in a non med state?

unless your landlord is cool with it in a non med state your going to be exposing yourself to potential vulnerabilities no matter what, theres possibly some very bad situations that can occur, inspections, maintenance, neighbors, emergency access, showings, the list goes on and on.

if your in a med state all those things still apply because most leases have clauses that cna prohibit growing even if a legal patient. they can say your operating a business, zoned incorrectly, improper wiring, drug clauses in leases, and again, the list goes on.

good luck and realize no matter what growing in a rental is more risky than owning or being in a lease option!

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
iIf you're not in a medical state owning is way more risky because your property can and will be seized.
Regardless, we're talking about rentals not purchases.
Do not attempt to grow in an apartment. You will regret it.
Rent a house with a basement if possible and modern wiring with a large 200+ amp main service.
Avoid close neighbors and remember to keep your yard looking as clean as the neighbors. If their yard is a dump you're off scot-free. If not you're going to be doing outside maintenance work or paying someone else to do it.
Try to find a house with a drive-in garage connected to it. This makes unloading supplies infinitely less stressful.
Don't steal power; it's cheap enough and improperly tapped power lines have got to be the number one reason for grow house fires.
Don't throw out grow related trash at the house you're growing in.
There's more but I have a lasagna to go cook.

midgethorse

Most people will tell you not to, for good reasons too.
I rent, and to me it really comes down to the place, landlord and a number of other things. 2k in a rental I would not attempt. But thats me. First thing I do is change the doorknobs to similar looking models from the depot. True, thats against the rules for most rentals. But I would prefer they call me and bitch about that rather than enter my property in an emergency situation(flooding, above rental flooding, fire ect.)
Next.....well shit man, there really is soo many things to be careful of. It comes down to the place.
Just dont tell anyone ....that is..if you decide to take the chance..
Best luck hollar if I can help with anything
Midgethorse.

humble, thats some good advice. Only thing i have to add is, make sure you always pay your rent on time, or before on time. I know its kind of obvious, but if there is one thing land lords love, its getting payed.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Bah, I did an 8kw in a rental for a year, no landlord issues.

Rent a place out of city limits, preferably with at least a couple acres. A basement is nice. Save up your money so you can afford the higher rent, because it will pay you back nicely. Dont think of telling anyone about the grow, ever, period. It does not exist, a 2 car detached garage works pretty well, but if you want to grow commercial, life begins at 8 lights my friend. It takes similar amounts of work to grow 4k, 6k, and 8k crops. The biggest difference is power bills and trimming time. Other than that its the same. Go big bro!

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Oh yeah, look on google maps at places youre looking at. If you've got neighbors houses anywhere near your place, you havent found the right place yet. Keep lookiing for a GROW HOUSE and you will find a good place. Usually takes me 2-4 months to find a spot, looking on craigslist a few times a week.

Marshall

Bah, I did an 8kw in a rental for a year, no landlord issues.

Didnt you have to tear down every 6 months for inspections?

iIf you're not in a medical state owning is way more risky because your property can and will be seized.

Wrong. It will only be seized if there is A LOT of equity and nowadays its rare to find homes with equity. It is easy to buy homes and have no equity in them

But you are right this thread is about renting.

Why would you want several rental properties? Do one if you have to to build funds, then buy.

clp

Definetly want to buy a house or at least rent a HOUSE versus an apartment for a bigger grow.
If you're not living at the place which you obviously wouldn't be since you're renting multiple places you're going to be stressin ALOT. You will have no idea who is coming in/out unless you install new locks + some surveillance.

A much better idea is to save your rental funds, buy or lease a cheap house in a good location and run 8-12kw off that. Live in the place, and make sure those 8-12kw plants are well kept. You can easily meet whatever goals (Weight/Potency, $$$, or whatever) you have with that much light and only one person knowing/handling the garden. Anything much bigger and you will probably need some extra help and at that point it's not worth it.. You cut your yield (dividing it between people) and increase your risk ALOT.

I haven't done this option but have looked into it alot and plant to do so within the next 5-10 years.. I'm just not in the right position to do it right now :/

What do you guys think about doing a smaller 1kw or so grow in a tent in an apartment?

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
I think it comes down to finding the right landlord and looking the part of being a clean cut upstanding "citizen".

Ask them about pets, tell them you have a very protective dog who doesn't like strangers and that if they need to get in the house you will be glad to put the dog on one of the bedrooms. You actually need a dog to pull this off. Be willing to pay more for this extra security measure.

my 2 cents

If youre going to have multilple houses will you be putting all the utilities in your name? Something to think about. And if there are any neighbor then a garage is a must imo so know one knows if your home or not since you wont be there much. And throw some living room lights on a timer.

R

rick shaw

Living on site is your best,cheapest form of security.Would you run an automated factory without somebody watching the line.Many fires and floods could have been stopped with someone monitoring.

echo_chamber

Growing where you rent will work no problem as long as the MANAGEMENT is the type that stays away.. If you are renting directly from the Owner, they will most likely stop by to "check up" on the house, since it is their "investment" and they need it to stay in good shape and not "confiscated". If you rent through a Management Company, these situations are much better, as they owner most likely sees the property as a "hassle" and wants someone else to take care of it for them, aka management company. Most management companies are "hands off" and only respond to "complaints" so if you pay all rent/bills on time and dont have big speakers and heavy bass and filter your grow room air, you will be good to go...

highbrid1

The important points have been well outlined by the previous posters.

- Don't do it

If you really want to:

- Make sure you have a liberal minded landlord, preferably one who is involved in criminal activity themself
- Stay on good terms with this landlord at all times (Be clean-cut, pay rent on time, dont make noise and dont have alot of ppl over)
- Do NOT grow not stop year round - take the summers off for example
- Changing the locks is a give away that you're hiding something, so dont do it. Instead find a way to lock up your grow area within your apt.
- As always, conceal the odor. This is the biggest issue in apt growing because you have ppl living all around you.
- Install security cameras and do not use sounded alarms (false one could cost you)
- Stay around the apt as often as possible

The main concern is knowing that another person has the key to your apt. The other factors you cant control like the person above you floods their apt when you're not there and the manager must go in.

Thats about what you need to know.

fireman

The important points have been well outlined by the previous posters.

- Don't do it

If you really want to:

- Make sure you have a liberal minded landlord, preferably one who is involved in criminal activity themself
- Stay on good terms with this landlord at all times (Be clean-cut, pay rent on time, dont make noise and dont have alot of ppl over)
- Do NOT grow not stop year round - take the summers off for example
- Changing the locks is a give away that you're hiding something, so dont do it. Instead find a way to lock up your grow area within your apt.
- As always, conceal the odor. This is the biggest issue in apt growing because you have ppl living all around you.
- Install security cameras and do not use sounded alarms (false one could cost you)
- Stay around the apt as often as possible

The main concern is knowing that another person has the key to your apt. The other factors you cant control like the person above you floods their apt when you're not there and the manager must go in.

Thats about what you need to know.

dont listen to this guy definitely change the locks.

Situation A) Landlord comes over has a key and can jsut go look around find the grow while your possibly out of town and call the cops immedietly. If your renting a place to run a decent size its not the easiest thing in the world to hide honestly so sometimes you have to just keep people out as you know from you experiences in the small scale.

Situation B) Landlord comes over and only calls you and you say oh sorry i forgot to give you a key i`ll get you one when i get back in town and now you can also find out why they were trying to go in your place with out telling you.and also break down without them finding out

Ask questions when you call about places. Ask the right questions feed them bullshit maybe about why you may be outta town often and say who fixes simple things.

Oh and honestly just dont use an apt its dumb all apt have routine maintenance that will jsut give you stress and too much investment to risk.

and security cameras just make it look more sketch by the way. Who needs security cameras for regular house?

take advice from the people who have done it succesfully for yrs and all the growers who have to rent. And like it was mentioned before in renting you dont risk forfeture

M

Mr.Howie

Thank you for all the responses so far. Basically my goal is to have around 20k of lights burning. So just having one house isn't exactly doable staying on grid. This is non med state so throw that out the window.

Seems as if I am getting a lot of "advice" from people that havn't actually done this with the exception of a few.....really hoping to get advice from people that do this.

That being said, maybe it is a bad idea. Maybe jumping into a situation that is too risky. Just hoping to hear from people that have done this to see if it's possible.

Yes just owning one house and having 6-10 lights is doable but having that kind of electricity bill in a house...in a non med state (not ca) isn't smart. Would be nice to set up multiple 3-4k light ops so elec bill stays on the lower side and still able to produce enough that it's worth it.

I was thinking 5 houses 4k each kind of thing. But......maybe just not good idea.

maybe just buy a raw pc. of land in the hills build a pole barn buy a deisel genny and blow it up for a year or two......................................

There's more but I have a lasagna to go cook.

Ya had a lot of valid points but ya had me at lasanga lol. Id say its doable just location location location lots of valid points with the electric being one for example. Trash being another make sure ya have multiple dump places or one really good one not repeat trips to same dumpster type shit with that much. Also traspo around town ridding dirty with product or equipment etc. Ohh yea one more thing be safe quite and tell no one if ya have to then pay them well so to say oh yea one more thing bro be safe and make that money. Id also work timming into it ya can get to know some neighbors at one house they think ya work mostly nights the other neighbors will think ya work in and out of town all the time etc... good luck

I was thinking 5 houses 4k each kind of thing. But......maybe just not good idea.

maybe just buy a raw pc. of land in the hills build a pole barn buy a deisel genny and blow it up for a year or two......................................

I have to think that if youre not actually living in the house then you can get away with running more then 4k before your elec bill gets too high. Way more actually. Turn the water heater off,, dont cook anything,, would think you could do 6-8k per house no sweat. 4x600w blockbusters per bedroom. Get a small little ranch house with a garage and run extension cords from the range and dryer outlets. Google 'electricity calculator' and figure it out.

Marshall

I have to think that if youre not actually living in the house then you can get away with running more then 4k before your elec bill gets too high. Way more actually. Turn the water heater off,, dont cook anything,, would think you could do 6-8k per house no sweat. 4x600w blockbusters per bedroom. Get a small little ranch house with a garage and run extension cords from the range and dryer outlets. Google 'electricity calculator' and figure it out.

ummm anyone running 6-8 k is not going to use extension cords and the dryer outlet......

Find a house with a basement, makes bulding the rooms easier. Plus a bigger house will absorb the higher electric bill.

You can run more than 4k in a house. 6-8k no problem. A bigger house could handle more

A 6k flower op with 1k for vegging will run around 275 in my area. That is just lights, doesnt include AC, fans etc. I suggest you create a spreadsheet to calculate your electric costs. That way you can calculate costs for different scenarios on the fly.

Having 4-5 houses will be alot of work driving around to each house, doing all the maintenance, etc.

And renting is just a bad idea. Anything can happen, you hear it ALL the time here. My LL wants to do an inspection, my LL is selling the property, etc. There is NO way to hide a 4-8kw op.

I speak from experience. Not renting but owning my grow houses

ummm anyone running 6-8 k is not going to use extension cords and the dryer outlet......

i personally dont see any reason why a person couldnt use extension cords to power a 6k op. its not the ideal setup but it can be done very easily and safely. you suggest building rooms and hiring an electrician to string new wires, but some people like myself like to get in bust out a couple harvest and get out. so what i suggested to the op was to rent a small ranch style 3 bedroom and use it just for growing. connect a 4k timer box to the dryer outlet and an 8k timer box to the range outlet. Then run 25 ft extension cords to the rooms. Throw some tarp up on the walls/floors and cut 8" holes in the ceiling closets of each bedroom. Bam just like that... have your shit up in a day. And then when you move out all you have to do is fix the 3 holes and you have it lookin just like it did when you moved in. just what i would do... extension cords are no big deal as long as they arent damaged.