What's new

Dopest's "Cooler" DIY Chiller

crzygirl

part #'s

part #'s

Does anyone have the model# / part# for the coolers that have the round cylinder like thing that you use to keep the water cold? I'm really interested in getting one going well.

clowntown

Veteran
I think there are way too many brands / models. There are so many. Best bet is to buy a used one from places like craigslist.

I got mine in a trade. Got the cooler, $20, and delivery in exchange for 2 cases of batteries.

G

If you're looking to just go and pick one up at a store and have a Home Depot nearby, I recommend the Sunbeam model...it's their cheapest and works like a champ. Just make sure you pickup some plasti-dip spray while you're there. It seals up the coils yet allows the cooling to escape....

Pics of mine

crzygirl

maybe a pic of it setup and running, price paid, would all be greatly appriciated. My space for where my cooler would be is limited.

Last edited:
G

I actually had to tinker with it a bit. The thermostat is pretty much useless since it wants the water at least down to 40.... so I put it on a timer and ran it 1hr on/1hr off... tested temp different times of the day and customized timer accordingly.

G

plumpm0nkey said:
mine didnt cool off the water enough, i use a fan on the water and it does a better job

How did you insulate the coils? When I used bags it blocked too much of the cooling to affect the water much. Hit 'er with plasti-dip and tried again, had no issues at all.

G

Easily... had to keep mine on a timer cause it was cooling too much.... it was in a 15gal rez that was feeding two 5gal buckets - total of 25gal of water.

clowntown

Veteran
Just curious... is it worth all that $$ and trouble for a 250w grow? :confused: Wouldn't you be better off running a different style of grow that doesn't require a chiller? Having this system will obviously take up a lot of extra space, electricity, and money... for how much gain?

plumpm0nkey

yeah i used plastic bags, what you mean it blocks the cooling process?

i was told by the pain store not to use plasti dip on something that will go in the water bc it will release toxins into the water.

G

crzygrl there are Hempy Buckets. Passive hydro in their basic form, easily watered with a timer.

No aeration
No chilling.
No dozens of gallons of water
No massive pumping for the volume
Utterly quiet - the stealth is absolute.
Very pH forgiving
No pythium.

The guy who they're known for talks about em on another site. Google Hempy Buckets.

crzygirl

I really like the tecnicality of the hydro setup :)
Hubby and I will be getting a cooler this friday now.... I CANT WAIT soo excited.

G

crzygirl said:
I really like the tecnicality of the hydro setup :)
Hubby and I will be getting a cooler this friday now.... I CANT WAIT soo excited.

Rgr, just makin conversation;

:wave:

(Very nice cooler thread by the way)

Lurk-mode : engaged.

:Bolt:

Last edited:

plumpm0nkey

ok so when i tried to use a water cooler the coils got very cold and frosted up but when i put them in the water the coils didnt get cold enough to actually have a effect on the water.. Was my water cooler just crap or does these actually work for you??? if it does i will so go out and find another cooler.

Oh and i found out that my neighbor had a 50gal fishtank setup with a bunch of gear and he had a water chiller along with it and sold it all for 150.. I almost cried :(

Latest posts

Latest posts