What's new

Door Security add on

Hello IC mag'ers

I'm Genetic H and i'm going to show you my defense against break ins.

Now, to explain: My front door is at the base of stairs. To get into my house you walk up about 12 stairs till you get to the living room.
I have no worry about break ins threw windows, just the door.

So after adding in a huge deadbolt with another lockable door my paranoia still wasn't satisfied.

So fellow IC Mag'ers I took it upon myself to install a system that would make it literally impossible to break in without breaking the door in half or collapsing my staircase.

attachment.php

So now, I draw like pure shit, but hopefully you can follow my idea.

Obviously the brown door is the entrance with the stairs going up higher than the door to my living room.

The first 2 staircase have orange lines which is Plywood cut to the size of the stair or a little smaller and put at the vertical piece of the stair.

After having those 2 pieces cut out and ready to go, cut 1 last piece that will fit on the door and be at the same level as the plywood.

Now, the red lines, or 4x4 posts, get screwed/hammered into the Plywood to make a brace from the Door to the first 2 stairs.

With this system, even breaking the window on my front door and unlocking the door with your arm wont do shit because the post/plywood will still keep the door in it's place.

Trying to knock the system in would have to destroy the stairs and or post. Also at the low level they are compared to the window's lowest level unless you have 3 foot arms you won't be able to slide it up and out of the way.

Hope this works well for some of you.

Attachments

• Door security.jpg
    Door security.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 19

JustBlazed

How do you get into your house? Once the door is closed and those pieces are in place? Is this only for when you are at home? Your next step is to setup a trip wire on your stairs that will have the robber/LEO hanging upside down in your house after they break down your door.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Is your door frame steel or is it wood just shimmed in place? If it's wood and shims, I've got bad news for you. . .

Is your door frame steel or is it wood just shimmed in place? If it's wood and shims, I've got bad news for you. . .

You can't pull the door off from the outside, and if you tried to break in you'd need a sledgehammer to bust the door.

If they try that when I'm home, i've already got the drop on them cause of the work involved and the sounds of breaking glass /busting a wood door apart a-la Psycho.

If i'm not home, my neighbours always are and would certainly hear a sledge hammer or axe destroying my door/frame.

this design is so that no one can pick your locks and come in quietly, there is no way they'd be able to get in without making a huge noise racket.

edit: Forgot to mention that my front door faces about a dozen apartment complexes and their parking lots. there's always people around.

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
And the drywall has what magical properties attached to it? Fortify a door and Im just going to bust a hole in the drywall.

MileHighMed - No, it's for general safety all around. My girlfriend has to sleep without me a lot of the time so when she goes to bed it makes her sleep a little easier.
And who said I've got 6 seedlings there? There's a million other places I have them

This is also just for when you're home, you wouldn't be able to get in your house, you'd have to go through a window.

Verite - What are you taking about? what drywall? It's your front door and your staircase, which is built out of wood.
If you managed to bust it in you'd either have to break the door in half and climb over it or break the staircase which wouldn't happen as the plywood between the post and staircase would distribute some of the force.

ninfan77

You've essentially built one of these...
183726zz1.jpg

And what good is it when you're not home? Isn't that when you would want the most security... Seems like backward logic to me.

Jesus christ it's like i'm telling you guys you have to do it. Lay off me a bit and smoke a bowl or two.

If you don't like it, don't post. You don't have to do what I did.

You've essentially built one of these...
183726zz1.jpg

And what good is it when you're not home? Isn't that when you would want the most security... Seems like backward logic to me.

I never said it WAS made for not being home.

I said more than once it was made for BEING at home.

Example : Your watching tv. Deadbolt and door both locked, get picked by two dudes with guns, they quietly open the door and get the jump on you, you've now got a gun in your face and they're robbing you blind.

Example 2: Your watching tv. Deadbolt, door locked and you have the posts set up against teh stairs. They pick the locks, try and open the door and it doesn't budge. They start to try and force there way in and realize it's futile so they break the glass. You've potentially heard the initial door slamming and definitely hear the window breaking, allowing you to get the jump on them and not get a gun in your face.

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
not many people have stairs like that. so this is basically your own personal custom door security add on... not much use to us... but hey, glad you feel safe!

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
shit, I should just get this thread removed, would safe me the effort

what effort? dude chill, dont be sad... its a good idea, it won't be a hit thread and get 1000 replies and gain you much respect, but its unique and could possibly help some one...

and by the way i think most people rob homes when nobody is there...

for some reason i get the hint that you are a little white boy in the hood somewhere?

what effort? dude chill, dont be sad... its a good idea, it won't be a hit thread and get 1000 replies and gain you much respect, but its unique and could possibly help some one...

It's annoying to have to defend something you are offering up as helpful & free even if not every can use it.

and by the way i think most people rob homes when nobody is there...
True, And I'd rather have it that way. Rob my place when I'm not home and i'll count myself lucky. Rob me when I'm home and someone goes home in a bag. which is likely me.
for some reason i get the hint that you are a little white boy in the hood somewhere?

No I don't live in the hood. I've had issues in the past and putting this together for the GF when i'm not around (and for me when I'm around) really helps her sleep.

I'll throw ya some good karma when It'll allow me