What's new

Doomsday Seed Preservation:Breeders URGED to Contribute to Arctic Circle Facility

Granger2

Veteran
Image, articles:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.globalresearch.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/doomsday-vault-2.jpg
[/FONT]http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...t-food-supply/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault
http://www.globalresearch.ca/doomsda...arctic-2/23503

I'm asking that ALL professional breeders investigate contributing seed to the Norwegian Seed Bank at Svalbard. Please contribute all kinds of strains, especially land races and IBL's.

This is vitally important to the future of the World. It may also prove to be of vital importance to the Cannabis Industry.

I do not know what the attitude/policies of the management of the facility is. There are also other similar facilities around the world.

I wanted to put this thread in the vendors section, but I am not allowed to start threads there. Thank you for your efforts.
Sincerely,
Granger2

"
[/FONT]The seed vault functions like a safe deposit box in a bank. The bank owns the building and the depositor owns the contents of his or her box. The Government of Norway owns the facility and the depositing genebanks own the seeds they send. The deposit of samples in Svalbard does not constitute a legal transfer of genetic resources. In genebank terminology this is called a "black box" arrangement. Each depositor signs a Deposit Agreement with NordGen, acting on behalf of Norway. The Agreement makes clear that Norway does not claim ownership over the deposited samples and that ownership remains with the depositor, who has the sole right of access to those materials in the seed vault. No one has access to anyone else's seeds from the seed vault.[11][17] The database of samples and depositors is maintained by NordGen.[18]"

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Uh, I think as soon as seedbay receives the payment, they'll promptly be shipped to any location you request.

bentom187

Veteran
Ok so put all the genetics in one basket, that way it can be wiped out in one shot like the rest of the seed's stored there. I see whoever thought this through didn't do a good job.

Diversify.

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
My understanding is that its for the "elite" class of humans to have real food when we are stuck with nothing but GMO's

Granger2

Veteran
Seaf0ur,
Why not read one of the articles I linked to so you can quit operating on hearsay, and guesswork?

Bentom,
Nobody is suggesting that we put all our seed into one basket. I don't even see how that applies unless a person is totally out to lunch on why and how this is being done. And there are other seed preservatories around the world. This one, however, seems to be the least vulnerable to almost any disaster. I'd suggest that breeders put them in multiple locations that will be monitored and maintained into perpetuity.

This is a good thing for all concerned. It's genetic insurance. I'm floored by the reliance on hearsay, and the snarky close mindedness. Read up. This is important. -granger

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
From your link:

The first notable point is who is sponsoring the doomsday seed vault. Here joining the Norwegians are, as noted, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation; the US agribusiness giant DuPont/Pioneer Hi-Bred, one of the world’s largest owners of patented genetically-modified (GMO) plant seeds and related agrichemicals; Syngenta, the Swiss-based major GMO seed and agrichemicals company through its Syngenta Foundation; the Rockefeller Foundation, the private group who created the “gene revolution with over $100 million of seed money since the 1970’s; CGIAR, the global network created by the Rockefeller Foundation to promote its ideal of genetic purity through agriculture change.

All GMO proponents.... And meanwhile Bill Gates is investing in Monsanto and GMOs around the world...
Bill Gates said "We Need Genetically Modified Seeds" and all the Gates' yield-increasing claims are widely refuted by scientific studies...

If I need a babysitter.... I'm not gonna hire a dingo...

Jacksonbabyoutback.jpg

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Actually this is not a bad idea... I had heard of this before but didn't realize the Big $ implications...

Let's not all be negative ALL THE TIME however... there is merit to the idea...

Perhaps Sam can open the doors and create a space in the Netherlands for a seed bank.

Years ago I was impressed with the seed vault at Flying Dutchman... won't tell you where it is, but it was very large...

I believe that now that Ben Dronkers has purchased the Flying Dutchman seed company, that he probably got the genetics bank with it... maybe Sam knows?

Meanwhile, let's tone down the negativity... it doesn't help anyone.

Granger2

Veteran
Ever heard of The Irish Potato Famine? One Million dead Irish, millions of Irish left Ireland for America and elsewhere. This was the result of a rapidly spreading blight that killed virtually the entire Irish crop of potatoes.

Problem was solved by planting other strains of spuds.

Seed preservation is insurance to humanity so that if a new blight runs rampant thru any crop you want to name such as wheat, rice, etc., we will have seed to breed from that will hopefully be resistant. There are many other possible calamitous events or conditions that could make this necessary.

There are 770,000 seed samples, so far, banked in this one facility. It is literally a bank. The samples are owned by the depositors. Depositors use it for a variety of reasons. I'm sure I don't like some or many of the depositors and their reasons. Same goes for contributors who helped build this facility.

Is it better to have a good representation of Cannabis strains, especially land races, safely stored away in case of some catastrophe or not? That's what this is about.

And if they are sitting on a shelf next to Monsanto's deposits, I don't give a shit.

I commend Sam and anyone else who is doing this with their own facility, but the Svalbard facility is far and above any walk-in humidor or refrigerator. And Sam is mortal, as are his heirs, if they even care about seed preservation. Svalbard, deep inside a mountain, 400 ft. above sea level, in an earthquake free zone, 70 miles from the North Pole, is impervious to just about anything except a direct thermonuclear hit, and the seed should survive for many decades even if power is lost. -granger

Rinse

Veteran
From your link:

All GMO proponents.... And meanwhile Bill Gates is investing in Monsanto and GMOs around the world...
Bill Gates said "We Need Genetically Modified Seeds" and all the Gates' yield-increasing claims are widely refuted by scientific studies...

If I need a babysitter.... I'm not gonna hire a dingo...

View Image

Thanks for this, we need to make our own seed vaults,
giving the likes of bill gates and his ilk weed seeds is a laugh, anyone in this age should know,
they are nefarious, poisoners of the earth.
When I hear they have a seed vault, I think, what are they planning?

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
SamS has you covered.
Not really ;) .
These seed vaults are usually situated in a permafrost region to ensure that the seeds remain cold or frozen even if the power supply system completely breaks down like in the case of an atmospheric nuke (EMP), war, natural disaster, or whatever.
True, in case of such an event I don't see yet how I'd send these guys an email or SMS to tell them that I'm starving and they should send my seed back by airmail. ROFL
Sam's vault is likely branched to the public grid and will cease to work quite easily... (hope that'll never be the case but we're talking worst case scenarios here, aren't we)
And what happens if I die? Who'll get my stuff?

Apart from that, the B&M Gates Foundation allows great work to be done, for example in the field of neglected diseases or HIV and cancer research. They invest money where others won't and even if they have no clue (they don't need to, it's only their money not their knowledge they contribute) many rich folks could learn something from them!

I'm not saying they are saints, but honestly, it's not all bad what the big ones do.
Look for example at all the additives (PGRs and such) you use on your beloved plants: Guess how much of the fundamental research leading to what we know today was only possible because those enterprises funded it in the first place. And guess who's behind the manufacturing of many of these...

oldchuck

Veteran
I am reminded of the Vavilov seed bank in St. Petersburg during WW II. Scientists and technicians starved to death there protecting the seeds.

Big seed banks are great. The more the better but... don't seeds need to be continuously propagated to keep the species lively?

Only Ornamental

Veteran
I am reminded of the Vavilov seed bank in St. Petersburg during WW II. Scientists and technicians starved to death there protecting the seeds.

Big seed banks are great. The more the better but... don't seeds need to be continuously propagated to keep the species lively?
Recently, I wrote an email to the curator of the VIR. He told me that they had severe budgetary cuts in their hemp program the last years. Therefore, they can't even grow enough to keep the seed stock at top quality.

The main drawback at the VIR is the storage condition: Most seeds are kept at about 15°C and need to be propagated every two years. Only a small amount is kept at 4°C where the seeds remain viable for about a decade and just a very very small part is kept frozen and remains good for a very long time.
Fridges and freezers use a lot of electricity and hence cost quite some money the Russians actually don't have (or at least it's the wrong people which have it), a problem Arctic seed vaults not have to bother with.

wingdings

Veteran
Bill Gates is Satan's lackey. Any amount of earnest research will show that he is interested in everything that is bad for our planet. GMO crops are nothing but marketing. There is no increased yield, only food poisoned with glyphosate. Round up's active ingredient is now in 90% of rain samples, mother's breast milk, and newborn babies.
His cancer research initiative is nothing but a lie. There are already numerous natural cancer cures that are proven successful. Gates should be hung with the rest of the politicians. He is evil.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Bill Gates is Satan's lackey. Any amount of earnest research will show that he is interested in everything that is bad for our planet. GMO crops are nothing but marketing. There is no increased yield, only food poisoned with glyphosate. Round up's active ingredient is now in 90% of rain samples, mother's breast milk, and newborn babies.
His cancer research initiative is nothing but a lie. There are already numerous natural cancer cures that are proven successful. Gates should be hung with the rest of the politicians. He is evil.
Round Up isn't Bill Gates ;) . Most anti-cancer drugs are based on natural products and are neither better nor worse than the synthetics, nothing new to that. Besides, the Gates Foundation invests in the discovery of the the former (and biologicals) more than in the latter.
Did you ever do cancer and natural product research? Guess not... but I did (a lot) so I suppose I have the right to tell you that you better keep your pseudo- and half-truths to yourself and stop the blasphemy.

Rinse

Veteran
Round Up isn't Bill Gates ;) . Most anti-cancer drugs are based on natural products and are neither better nor worse than the synthetics, nothing new to that. Besides, the Gates Foundation invests in the discovery of the the former (and biologicals) more than in the latter.
Did you ever do cancer and natural product research? Guess not... but I did (a lot) so I suppose I have the right to tell you that you better keep your pseudo- and half-truths to yourself and stop the blasphemy.

The premise of what hes saying is true though, seems you're picking at details...

9111_398978903544120_56018963_n.jpg

Granger2

Veteran
If anybody actually checked the links I included, so they would know what they were talking about before taking a fringe view about Satan being behind it, etc., they would have noticed that, in the interest of fairness, I included an article by the author of "Seeds of Destruction."

Can we agree that the major seed breeders/marketers have a responsibility to themselves, to us, and to the Planet to make provisions to preserve Cannabis genetics for the future of mankind?

It doesn't have to be Svalbard, but it needs to be a world class facility that will preserve them properly, and can withstand foreseeable catastrophes, and extended power outages. -granger

[And BTW, for the record, I have been, from early on, one of the staunchest opponents of GMO's, starting with the Tryptophan debacle. I developed a dark hatred of Monsanto, et al, in the last Millennium.]

oldchuck

Veteran
It doesn't have to be Svalbard, but it needs to be a world class facility that will preserve them properly, and can withstand forseeable catastrophes, and extended power outages. -granger

And it needs to be continually updated, that is, seeds grown out to replace old ones.