What's new

dont treat coco like soil??

H

Hazyfontazy

Man you should send your resume to AN.

Seriously how the hell would I get double the amount of weight if I did a drip/e&f system with coco instead of hand watering? You can't possibly tell me I would get 180oz/100W wet instead of the 90/1000W I got my last grow by doing hydro style system using coco.

90 ounce off a 1000watt ,got a pic ?

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Man you should send your resume to AN.

Seriously how the hell would I get double the amount of weight if I did a drip/e&f system with coco instead of hand watering? You can't possibly tell me I would get 180oz/100W wet instead of the 90/1000W I got my last grow by doing hydro style system using coco.

You really mean "You can't possibly tell me I would get 36oz/1000W dry instead of the 18oz/1000W I got my last grow"

Wet weight is not a reliable guide to dry weight, so people just speak about the dry weight. :)

B

Bud Bug

You really mean "You can't possibly tell me I would get 36oz/1000W dry instead of the 18oz/1000W I got my last grow"

Wet weight is not a reliable guide to dry weight, so people just speak about the dry weight. :)

Well either way its gonna be about 23/24 oz dry and no way in hell you'd get 46+dry with doing a drip system with coco instead of hand feeding.

:dance013:

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so, essentially everyone just wants to lick the backsides of the nute companies

and, no one has ever tried organic teas w/ coco?

:thank you:

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Well either way its gonna be about 23/24 oz dry and no way in hell you'd get 46+dry with doing a drip system with coco instead of hand feeding.

Wait, no, not the difference between hand watering and drip.

I got the impression, as I said before, that BushDr was saying that you'd automatically double your yield if you ran it as soil instead of as hydro. Which is ridiculous and patently false, which is why we all jumped on it.

I don't think anyone meant you'd double your yield going from handwatered to drip.

Unless I misread, which is entirely possible :D

NiteTiger

Veteran

Do teas work well in hydro? I'm not sure, might be something on it over in the Organic Hydro?

I know teas are frequently used in organic soil gardens, but again, coco is a hydropnic medium by itself, not soil.

And how are we licking the nute companies asses?

G

Guywithoutajeep

God damn you just came right out and slapped us all in the face :). I don't think anyone is ass spelunking on purpose. I really am not knowledgeable enough to get on with that stuff just yet. Eventually I'd really like to do a whole bunch of side by side experiments with coco, organics, bloom boosters etc.

I wouldn't even know where to start with organics in coco. I don't even know a single grower who uses coco to begin with. I brought a bottle of H&G coco AB to the counter at my local grow shop and the guy didn't even know what the stuff was, how much it cost, or when the last time was that someone had bought the stuff. So yeah not too many coco growers out there.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran

If you got 24 in Coco, doing it right, I reckon you might get 30 using an active system like the NFT we used for years [before changing to Coco, ran known clones both ways]. So, as you say, getting 46+ just from changing your delivery to drip, not going to happen IMO.

If you are somehow making mistakes with your handwatering, then, yes, a feed system may cut down on human error losses, however, relying on it can bring its own problems....

NiteTiger

Veteran
I wouldn't even know where to start with organics in coco

Yeah, I got to thinking about it, and I haven't seen an organic coco grow. I'm sure they're out there, though.

I'd start out trying some formulations and nutes off the Organic Hydro forum, I think.

G

Guywithoutajeep

Wait, no, not the difference between hand watering and drip.

I got the impression, as I said before, that BushDr was saying that you'd automatically double your yield if you ran it as soil instead of as hydro. Which is ridiculous and patently false, which is why we all jumped on it.

I don't think anyone meant you'd double your yield going from handwatered to drip.

Unless I misread, which is entirely possible :D

Although not possible to double your yield, it is possible to do better on it over hand watering. If you used a system where the drip was always dead on. Meaning, it provided the exact amount of water needed at the exact moment needed thereby creating a perfect oxygen/water balance for your roots.

This is why I'm switching to Tropf-Blumats. A natural built in moisture meter is my wave of the future. I know it will do a lot better work than the hand watering job I'm doing now. My plants are too big to wait to be watered past the 12 hour dark period anyways. They suck up the water so damn fast and I even leave a heavy puddle in the bottom for the roots to soak up. Damn I need drips.

HydroManiac

One thing I have noticed with coco is that it should be rinsed before it is used I checked the water it was soaking in and it had a ppm reading of 660 after I rinsed it I got it down to about 190 ppm

foo_bird

I use a mix of 70% coco 30% charcoal grounded to a powder
and only feed with tea's seems to work fine but then I don't
know what I'm doing just trying what sounds good and staying
with what works

NiteTiger

Veteran
Although not possible to double your yield, it is possible to do better on it over hand watering.

But that's not a given. Just because you change to drips doesn't mean your yield will improve.

Plus, I've had excellent results handwatering, as have many other people, by doing is exactly like you said for drips - the right amount at the right time.

That holds true no matter the method of application, though.

A properly dialed in grow is a properly dialed in grow. A plant getting all that it needs and wants doesn't care how that nute solution got there .

No method is inherently superior to another.

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
This is why I'm switching to Tropf-Blumats. A natural built in moisture meter is my wave of the future. I know it will do a lot better work than the hand watering job I'm doing now. My plants are too big to wait to be watered past the 12 hour dark period anyways. They suck up the water so damn fast and I even leave a heavy puddle in the bottom for the roots to soak up. Damn I need drips.

Mine are in the mail, hopefully... I look forward to using them!

L

Lord Humungus

A properly dialed in grow is a properly dialed in grow. A plant getting all that it needs and wants doesn't care how that nute solution got there .

exactly... well said

G

Guywithoutajeep

Yeah, I got to thinking about it, and I haven't seen an organic coco grow. I'm sure they're out there, though.

I'd start out trying some formulations and nutes off the Organic Hydro forum, I think.

Yeah I wish one of those fools would happen to stumble in here, but organic people stick with organic people I guess.

If you happen to see a decent organic grow on here, please post the links.

NiteTiger

Veteran
Yeah I wish one of those fools would happen to stumble in here, but organic people stick with organic people I guess.

If you happen to see a decent organic grow on here, please post the links.

Damn, now I have an experiment lodged in my head that's going to torture me :D

G

Guywithoutajeep

But that's not a given. Just because you change to drips doesn't mean your yield will improve.

Plus, I've had excellent results handwatering, as have many other people, by doing is exactly like you said for drips - the right amount at the right time.

That holds true no matter the method of application, though.

Your right, it's definitely not a given, but possible. The only way to know is to compare for yourself and see if your hand water matches your drip. Its nearly impossible to know the "exact" moment that the coco is drying or needs water. That's why I really want to try these Blumats. They supposedly just know. I think it's something that's a one in a million to mimic by hand.

Again its not a given that it will improve your yield, but it will assist in getting you dialed in. I'd prefer to spend my time learning about different biological processes and let the Blumats take the guessing out of proper watering.

Where's that damn thread that shows a hand water vs. drips vs. Blumats grow? If I remember correctly the Blumats kicked all ass.

Latest posts

Latest posts