What's new

Don't lose Good Genetics!! Clone your Bud.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
question is why wouldn't one take a cutting ?

What I eventually learnt in past experience was to find the best clones/plants id have to start using the breeders magic number of = 6 clones or cuttings I must take from different branch sites if I wanted to find any different phenotype plants such as the indica or sativa pheno's I might get out of a skunk or some indica's finding the sativa and so on,

If I don't take 6 cuttings and say ive only got the one clone to work with then not all is lost, yet it will mean a lot more work from growing out many many dozens of clones taken from the one mum clone I took to start with to find these other phenotypes wanted for there traits whatever they might be,

sometimes the clone we choose can or will be a better looking and tasting plant than the seed plant on its own, yea very important the clones and must be questioned now n then if ya unaware of all this clone business,

Times ive failed at reveging a plant were to do with the plant not having much leaf left around the lower portions of a plant and in conjunction using a HPS light to revege, they much prefer the sun, led or Metal halide to get off to a good start etc.
i had to ask myself, doesn't seem like english might be your first language. it sounds like you're saying the clones grow differently (diff phenos) based on where you take it from. that's false. it's the same no matter where you take it from or when you take it. it's still the same plant hence clone. sometimes genetic mutations occur but they usually grow out of it in most cases.

dunno any science on the sunlight thing but seems like it might have some legitimacy. the sun effects all living beings including people. the sunlight contains wavelengths not present in artificial light, people get cabin fever, season affective disorder, blahblahblah in the winter because you don't get enough sunlight for your body to process vitamins and shit that you need. so i can see a clone that's been kept indoors since forever might perk up nicely outdoors than it ever did indoors.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
Still trying to get this, right...40 days since cut..

Still trying to get this, right...40 days since cut..

Transplanted to a 4 inch pot a few days ago.
(the other one didn't make it) THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Started 12/12 today. 400 watt CMH

IN OTHER NEWS: her mother is with ME now

Attachments

• IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 14

boocon

papaduc great thread, thanks to all who shared their info here!

Just getting going again after long hiatus, so i got 3 seed grows spaced 3-4 weeks apart, and looking for keepers. While i have always waited until plants showed their sex, usually couple weeks into 12/12, i guess i had convinced myself of a narrow window of couple weeks to take clones, after showing sex but before really starting to flower heavily.

So my first rounders are 3/10 year old boggle gum seeds, blue moon rock/bogglegum seeds i crossed myself , and I had 1 barneys violator kush seed left from 10 pack. While the overall performance of those vk seeds left me wishing I had spent that money on BOGs gear, this one seed might be a "grail" plant the way its performed since I popped it until now 2nd week of 12/12 . Sometimes you just get that "feeling" about one ya know?!?:)

Anyway, I'm startin to "dabble-babble" now, but this thread has lifted the only part of the process of mj growing that causes me any stress, taking cuttings of them all, the labeling, ect. Now I'm gonna let that vk go until it's almost ready chop and then Im gonna "bud-clone" that bitch in honor of this thread!:bow:

night y'all...

JointOperation

"I wish I'd taken a clone... I'm gonna try re-vegging the plant"

Every time I hear it I'm surprised at how few people are aware of how easy this is to do, and how far out of control the myth has gotten that flowering, even fully budding plants, are harder to clone than vegging ones.

A lot of the time you just can't or won't or don't dedicate the time and space to re-vegging a whole plant, so you cut your losses and move on.

There's no need.

There's no cut off point for cloning. None. Not even chop day.

I do this all the time and I haven't found a plant to this day which doesn't respond the same way.

Last week I had a look in on my girls. I got one Humboldt seeds OG kush freebie recently and it's one of the only girls I didn't clone.

Now it's near to harvest day and it's a stocky nice yielding plant, with some nice kushy greasy funk going on. I like it, so I'm gonna grow her again. She deserves it.

So, 7 weeks in... what to do?

All I do is cut a bud from a lower branch with an air bud on it.

This is she...

[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=224099&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL]

After 12 days she has rooted and begun to search out the pot she's in.

[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=224100&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL]

That photo was just taken now. I decided to document how the plant will re-veg from that little air bud, and what to expect from this point. And how fully vigorous and healthy it will become in just a few weeks.

I think people worry a clone loses vigor, or some other negative thing occurs when it is cloned like this. I had one fella a while ago argue blind with me that a plant never properly re-vegetates, or that not all plants will do. These are all myths. Every single plant I have ever done this way has been as big, strong, vigorous and healthy in every way from taste to strength to yield, as the plant it was taken from.

Apologies if a thread like this already exists. If it does, I haven't seen it.

I really believe people should be much more open minded to this procedure. It's really really simple.

I'll post back when she first starts to re-veg. Should only be days.

hey man.. what strain is that?