What's new

Dog training

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Im planning to teach my guy tracking/searching. Ive got an uncle who was a military dog handler so he knows how to do all the tracking,searching,protection stuff.
Ive already got him doing blind retreives just by going to the field, and walking to the edge of the next field with a hedge between them, then throwing the dummy over the hedge so the dog doesnt see it land, then sending him to get it though a gap in the hedge. Not exactly a disciplined hunting type retrieve but Im not hunting so hey ho LOL.
Theres a lot of videos about dog training on youtube, but youve got to wade though a whole lot of crap to find the good ones.

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
Gotta plug this company.
When I was looking for a good leather muzzle for my last beast, I couldn't find shit!
Until I got them.
http://www.fordogtrainers.com/

Was satisfied with my purchase and the quality/construction. Rivets where needed, stitching otherwise.
:blowbubbles:

supermanlives

Veteran
i think my last dog trained me LOL actually he was the perfectly trained dog and i aint really sure why? i am looking for a new dog.

Rednick

Veteran
I don't normally plug shit.
But, yeah, they gots whats needed.
You'd be amazed how hard it was to find a proper muzzle for an Akita.

keat

I don't normally plug shit.
But, yeah, they gots whats needed.
You'd be amazed how hard it was to find a proper muzzle for an Akita.

Yeah i recon its hard. Here in sweden its almost impossible to get proper stuff, you have to go thru "svenska brukshundsklubben" with is like the swedeish workingdog/k-9 club, and then big brother even goes after u'r dog. Sorry if im lacking the grammar at the moment, just took me the morning toke :dance013:

Just gotta love hanging around cannabis forums, where else can i talk about dogs and at the same time telling i just smoked a J, without getting banned!! :tiphat:

keat

Does your Akita actually need one?

Maybe the Akita just wants that dirty look? :tiphat:

My dogs dont like to be dirty, they like it clean
icon12.gif

picture.php

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
Get an Akita, and tell me.

Well...I have dogs, you have seen a picture of one of them...and personally I think a well trained dog does not need a muzzle.

If a dog does need a muzzle it certainly is the responsible thing to do, however I suggest more training.

Rednick

Veteran
It's in their blood.
Crazy fucking redneck Japanese dog.
Their version of Wolf Hybrids.

And the muzzle wasn't for people, just for other dogs.
He was very discretionary when biting people.
R.I.P. Dakota

All Akitas are born Alpha. And they'd rather figure out the heirarchy in the first 20 seconds, than run around sniffing bottoms.

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
I haven't read the whole thread but from my experience you want to focus on a few things:

1. Never, ever, no matter what teach a dog one thing and then show him he can do otherwise.
For instance, if you don't allow your dog in your kitchen never ask him to come in.
If you do so you'r dog starts to question if what you taught it is absolute.

2. Let it bite toys and such but never play with him barehanded when the game somehow involves his mouth.
Encourage it to bite stuff. I used to play with my rottweilers puppies with a plank of wood letting them bite it and try to hang on to it as I lift them with it.
You want something more rigid though as if you'll change too many object they'll just take down your stuff.

3.Don't let the dog get social in the yard - with no one.
You should let it grow into his job - a guard dog.
In the yard you could play with him but don't let other people do so.
Teach him not to approach people (or dogs for that matter) thats getting near the territory - you don't want to scare off people thats passing by. Also the dog should learn that outside his territory he doesn't rule.

4. You could either teach your dogs to chase off burglars or catch \ bite them.
If you want them to chase off burglars let them bark as much as they wish.
If you want them to catch \ bite burglars train them NOT to bark - A silent dog is more efficient in catching a pray.

5. If your property is large enough for your dogs to take a dump in and not stinking the house up don't walk them outside of the territory too much.

6. Some people will not agree with me but I say give your dog food scraps (bones, COOKED meat craps, bread, legume etc) along with the dry food.
Teach your dog to eat a variety of foods.
However, this should be done very early as if taught after around 3 months old the dogs might eat the bones too fast (now that they can easily break them) and choke or puncture internal organs.

Reading books is good but learning from a pro helps a lot as most of the training comes from your body language - and thats not easy to learn from books.

Cheers.

Rednick

Veteran
You should've seen the shock collar I had for that dog.
It took holding down the button for 1/2 to 1 second at 27 out of 30(highest), with the long prongs.
To get the attention of the dog when he went, as Ceasar says, "RedZone".

Just glad they aren't as popular as Pit-Bulls. Otherwise, be a lot more ordinances against them. Also when bred with a GSD it takes a real pro to tell what part the Not-GSD is.

mad librettist

Veteran
man, there is a dangerous vibe here.

Here is some advice from a friend who is a professional trainer:

a guard dog is not a pet. It is a working animal with a job and its whole life has to be structured around that job.

I have not read the whole thread, but I should not be 2 pages in with still no mention of teaching the dog turn off the aggression.

Stop fucking around, please, and teach your pets not to be aggressive towards people. If you want a guard dog contact your local Schutzhund club and ask to be referred to a reputable breeder who will work with your reputable professional trainer.

Guard dogs/dog aggression and amateurs feeling their way are not a good mix.

from earlier:

1. Never, ever, no matter what teach a dog one thing and then show him he can do otherwise.
For instance, if you don't allow your dog in your kitchen never ask him to come in.
If you do so you'r dog starts to question if what you taught it is absolute.

This is humanizing. Dogs do not work that way and don't reason or "ask questions". You can teach a dog to come into the kitchen only when invited, just like couches, beds, etc...

5. If your property is large enough for your dogs to take a dump in and not stinking the house up don't walk them outside of the territory too much.

Not correct. Going on proper walks for exercise is not going to affect a guard dog's performance. Walking with you and guarding are two jobs a dog can distinguish and do independent of the other. An out of shape and frustrated guard dog is not on top of its game.

6. Some people will not agree with me but I say give your dog food scraps (bones, COOKED meat craps, bread, legume etc) along with the dry food.
Teach your dog to eat a variety of foods.
However, this should be done very early as if taught after around 3 months old the dogs might eat the bones too fast (now that they can easily break them) and choke or puncture internal organs.

If you are really serious about having a healthy diet for your dog, look into raw feeding. I can often spot the muscle tone and coat of a raw-fed dog when I see one. I kid you not: raw whole chicken bones and meat go in, bone meal comes out.

Last edited:

keat

Thank you all for the advices, once again :)

And I love you guys keeping the discussion going.

Tuggo

from earlier:

This is humanizing. Dogs do not work that way and don't reason or "ask questions". You can teach a dog to come into the kitchen only when invited, just like couches, beds, etc...

Not correct. Going on proper walks for exercise is not going to affect a guard dog's performance. Walking with you and guarding are two jobs a dog can distinguish and do independent of the other. An out of shape and frustrated guard dog is not on top of its game.

If you are really serious about having a healthy diet for your dog, look into raw feeding. I can often spot the muscle tone and coat of a raw-fed dog when I see one. I kid you not: raw whole chicken bones and meat go in, bone meal comes out.

:yeahthats Agree 100%

Was thinking the exact same thing. Was going to post but no need, you hit every nail on the head imho.

I've encouraged family/friends to enter my yard since the day my pup was brought home. I also put in the time to help him decide what is a threat and what is not. It's to the point now where I can kinda trust his judgement when speaking to someone on the other side of the fence.

Mom and a bunch of nieces and nephews come flying through the gate= go back to sleep.

Bunch of teenagers walking by minding their own business= if they come toward the gate he goes toward the gate.

Someone walking past acting suspicious or that he gets that vibe from= haul ass to gate in all his huffing and puffing glory

After a couple months the dog should start picking things up on his own and i just have to make corrections here and there.

It's not my dog's responsibility to protect my family and home. That responsibility falls on my shoulders. He is a pet/companion first, and a tool to aid in that responsibility second. As stated above, if you want your dog to do a professional job get a pro to train him. Other than that encourage what you want discourage what you don't.

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran

from earlier:

You can teach a dog whatever you like, like not coming into the kitchen.
You can teach him exceptions but don't contradict yourself.
If you train your dog to come to the kitchen only when your inviting it don't make it come in the kitchen without an invitation.

I meant that if he has a farm that could support the dog need for exercise let it do it in the property.

I was always afraid of giving my dog raw meat.
I don't want my dog to see some animal (or person) and think of it as food.
Also with all the hormones and antibiotics present it the meat around here (Israel) I'm really not sure its better than the dry food I'm giving my dog.

I'm not that good at explaining myself in English...

Cheers :)

Rednick

Veteran
@ML
If you have the time to train your dog in Schutzhund, good for you.
I hope people don't think I'm raising my dog Michael Vick style. But if that's what they think then fuckem.

My dog had the best Friend or Foe senses of any I have ever met.
Used to live on a busy commuter street. He knew everyone one of those vehicles by sound and smell.

Was just saying it was in his Nature (most Akita's nature), there is a reason some old people living in high-crime areas have Akitas. 24/7 he was a guard dog, but superfriendly to 'accepted' people. If not, watch out! He'd let you know who's yard it was.

Kept me out of jail a few times, just by being my eyes and ears, and bark to boot. And no telling how many times he kept me out of trouble by just keeping trouble out.
R.I.P. Dakota.

P.S. Ofcourse you can walk your Guard Dog. I would recommend it. Just make sure that he doesn't stop to 'say hi' to every passer by. He is on a job. His job is to 'heel'. Guard dogs love having a job.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4GgJC0eMJo

P.S.S. And don't starve your dog to make it meaner. IT won't work, it will just become a food whore to whoever comes by next. A well exercised and fed guard dog is the best.