What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does watts have anything to do with potency?

hazemaker

One could and certainly has, gone to Home Depot and bought:

2 42 watt bulbs 2750K=2600lumens each totaling 5200 lumens in the first sq foot.
2 Light holders with receptacles
1 timer

Take a seed germinate in paper towel with unchlorinated water!

Plant seed in Dirt put pot under light 12hrs a day for 3 months! to get an 21grams in a .5liter ceramic pot.

Everything else is improvement or at least attempts to improve! The exhaust fan, nutrients, UVB bulbs, co2, etc all of this is nice but not demanding to grow.

Its rather remarkable i have only killed one plant in many! Thats a testimony to her will to survive and not my farming, They (my plants must shit themselves when they see me comin "oh fuck whats he going to try and pull now". Nevertheless its been a peaceful coexistance we have shared!

I started here, just a cple of cfl's and it really will get u good herb, Growing is easy, GROWING WELL, is vanishingly rare! The perfect crop, the perfect bud, the best of the potential is a very HIGH MARK, to reach n hit!

Bud almost every crop gets better and you will add ever new ever more to improve as you go along!

To me it all sounded rather complicated until i saw 2 light bulbs produce a 18" plant with buds! Then i realized hey i got a chance here if this is my first plant. It pains me to think of anyone wanting to try but not carrying out that desire! That would likely be a mistake, Buying it is now a hateful endeavor, I rather be dry, not that i buy it much at all, time to time between grows i may end up dry and i just remind myself to plan better in the future!

at 12/12 from seed most strains finish in 3-4months if u have 250watts and you grow in 2gallon soil container you can get 6 plants under there at different stages of development!a harvested Pulling a harvested plant every 2 to 3 weeks! and planting one at same time u pull!

If you super crop and prop up the smaller plants they will all be even distance from the light ideally CFL 2"-4" away.

15-40grams dry per plant.(again most plants)

6 42 w cfls 252watts=15,600 lumens 2750k
11 23w cfls253watts=17,600 lumens 2700k
4 68w cfls 272watts=16,800 lumens 2700k

Clearly 23w of thos 3 is the best option for effeciency they are also the cheapest option last time i bought lights. HPS puts out more lumens per watt no argument but if you cant get plant within 12" of the light then its that extra light is squandered!

Z

zen_trikester

Zen, so do u think i can get away with running just 1 5" intake fan and then run 2 5" exhaust fans? Plus i'll have a 4" circulating fan inside my cab cooling the air inside. Do u think i can get away with running a 250w hps in there with what i mention? Or do u suggest just sticking to the 150w hps for better yield based on my grow measurements?

OK, here is the deal with intake fans. IF you don't want your house to smell like a hashbar then you will want a carbon filter and if you want your carbon filter to wrk you wont use intake fans. Regardless of how well you seal the cabinet there will be gaps in which air can pass. If you have positive pressure inside the cabinet (think of blowing up a baggie with air) then air may push through those little gaps instead of going through your filter. If you have negative pressure (sucking air out of the bag), then worse case scenario is you suck in a little bit more outside air from places other than your intakes and that is NBD. To use intake fans effectively you would have to have the airflow pushing into the cab just slightly less than the exhaust fan and that would be nearly impossible to achieve. Hot air moves faster than cold for one, and the filter on the exhaust will change things drastically as well. It is just a big can of worms and is completely unnecessary. Can it work? sure! will it for sure? no. It's a lot of fucking around that you don't need to do.

As for HPS in that little cabinet, I would personally stay away from HPS without a little more height to work with but that is me. People do it and it works for them. In my cfl cab I have done a lot of training to allow for more veg time and when it comes down to it I get my best results from doing a sog and just letting them stretch. I clone, plant, veg for 5-7 days (or often not at all) and let her fly. I use tall narrow pots (currently standard 1 lb-ish coffee bags that I reuse but moving to mini-treepots next week) and pack 20 or so plants into a 19 x 14 footprint. that all being said I have never run an hps and I am saying why I haven't ever bothered. You almost have to put your ear withing a foot of my flower cabinet to hear it at all and that is very important to me for security since I have a tween at home 1/2 the week. My buddy and I are in the process of building out a wardrobe cab for his basement that uses a 250w hps but until that starts clicking off the zips I'm not going to be convinced the extra heat, fan noise, ballast and whatever else is involved is worth a little extra product. I'm not hating on hps... it just isn't what works best for me.

as for internal fans to blow things around... I don't use anything. I did at first but it made it harder for me to control my heat. My filter is right over my bulbs and since heat rises it is most efficient that way. blowing the heat around the cabinet makes things worse in my case and I would recommend anyone running a micro cab with floros to try it as well. Blowing air around to "strengthen the stems like outdoor" is not important when your plants are 12-20" over the top of the pot, and agitating the plants by touching them makes them smell more so I can only assume wind moving them around does the same thing.

As always this is simply my $.02 and ymmv

Jed

hazemaker

I want recant my earlier assertion of HPS 250 and its loss in lumens over feet!

250 Hps at 29000 lumens (1ft from light, Any portion of plant within 1ft gets 29000)
7250 lumens (from 1 to 2 feet any portion of plant unshaded offcourse)
3222 lumens (2-3ft)

253 watts cfl 17600lumens (0-1foot)
4400lumens (1-2foot)
1955lumens (2-3foot)

Hps cannot grow in the first foot or you burn em! so the lumens uptop dont see the plant til 1 ft away AT LEAST, whereas CFL can, so match up should be as such!

250 w hps 1-2ft 7250 lumens 11 23wcfl's 253w 0-1ft 17,600(you can grow in first ft)
2-3ft 3222 lumens 1-2ft 4,400
2-3ft 1,955
I think im complicating it! Inverse square law do models for both lights and REMEMBER the hps cannot be in the fist foot !!!!!!!!!!!! you will burn em! so you start with 7250 in your first foot of usable grow space

apologize for earlier numbers and if i am wrong PEOPLE PLEASE SET ME STRAIGHT

hazemaker

and smell is a strain and number of plants issue, i bought ionizers, hepa filters and panic day n night over the WHAT IF they knock at the door and say we KNOW YOUR BREEDING SKUNKS SIR! Northern lights g13 seeds i once smelled her from 10 feet from my house otherwise if you dont beat the branches it tends to not smell, plus i have a very unique smelling sat/hybris that doesnt even smell like weed in the slightest!

So if your just growing small plants that arent, skunk,afghani, i wouldnt expect a need for carbon filters!

Im not saying grow KUSH and forego the carbon filter! im saying if you like tropical sweet fruity sativas! you dont need it, besides u dont want to filter out that smell its never confused with ganja!

Just say

WESTCRAZY1

Indica's are my main of choice. This small grow box is to complicated, im thinking about going out to ikea or something and just go pick out a decent size wooden closet and start from there since the current grow box doesnt allow me to do much.

Z

zen_trikester

So if your just growing small plants that arent, skunk,afghani, i wouldnt expect a need for carbon filters!

Im not saying grow KUSH and forego the carbon filter! im saying if you like tropical sweet fruity sativas! you dont need it, besides u dont want to filter out that smell its never confused with ganja!

Just say

Be careful saying this stuff Haze... everyone has different standards of acceptable odor. Sure you may not smell it outside your house, but inside your house you will smell most any mj plant unless you are using carbon. Some plant odors are slight and almost not weedlike, but still. Just saying...

Jed

hazemaker

JED, Inside my house does not smell like weed! When i grew a 75%indica 25%sativa, the odor was enuf that i had to deal with odor, frankly its scared the hell out of me coming home from work and smelling it but I have moved to sativa leaning, sweet and fruity plants and they do not carry an odor i have to deal with! Its subtle and not at all noticeable by anyone aswell my good friend is working same strains and he doesnt need any odor control.

That said West wants indica, so, USE CARBON FILTER! I fear that smell and have stayed away from indica's especialy full on afghani or skunks! My point was Some strains dont require odor control and some do!

I also dont like how indica knock me out, i like the up, social NON NARCOTIC high of a good equitorial sat, SO IF ITS INDICA!, HAZE IS stating Check your strain(s) and if YOU NEED IT carbon filter!

hazemaker

I dont want to sound argumentitive Its a rather big personality flaw i carry. I have seen other people say "I want to grow" only to get involved and say this shit is to complicated, hydro, co2, ec meter, uvb bulb, hps, metal halide, ph control, boosters fertilizers odor control, Its as if you need a degree in Horticulture to get going, For the most part you dont need to fully understand it all to grow your own. CFL + soil + care(watering)= a plant, go from there you will need to keep it dark for about 12hrs(on avg) for a period of 8-9weeks(on avg), once you plant the seed and see results man your fukn hooked and your passion will carrry you a VERY VERY VERY LONG WAY! From there Im confident its most people keep growing or thinling about growing or helping others grow, If everyone turned 1 person on to growing and not just cannibis, almost any plant, the world would be a much better place. Mankind is detached from its ROOTS. Unfortanately i know this growing community knows all this! Damn this weed me hard today! LOL

Good luck WEST!

jm420

Veteran
I dont know but yeild will be affected, but I would think trich formation could be reduced wich would affect potentcy IMO
.Bad enviorment = bad weed,bad lighting = bad enviorment.