What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does LEDs really yield the same as their "HPS equivalent"

indagroove

Veteran
who is led's AND hydro?

I've got a question about nutrients... Some say that plants eat more nutes under led's, i can't be sure, but one plant (same strain) over 4 under 400 w leds is showing signs of Mg deficiency, though my nutes are complete,

Have you noticed the same?

I add mag to my nutrients under LED, even though my nutes are complete as well. Mag seems to be the main nute they need more of under LED. Epsom salts are cheap, and 1g/gallon = around 100ppm of mag sulfate.

Horselover Fat

Veteran
I add mag to my nutrients under LED, even though my nutes are complete as well. Mag seems to be the main nute they need more of under LED. Epsom salts are cheap, and 1g/gallon = around 100ppm of mag sulfate.

Yes, I add canna cal/mag too, but my tap is <0.1ec. I add enough to get to 0.5ec which is what canna advices. That seems to keep them green enough. A lot of people say you need a little higher temps to up the transpiration, because less ir to warm up leafs. Dunno. I can't do shit about my temps or humidity so I try not to worry about them :D

I'm on my second dwc grow now.

indagroove

Veteran
Yes, I add canna cal/mag too, but my tap is <0.1ec. I add enough to get to 0.5ec which is what canna advices. That seems to keep them green enough. A lot of people say you need a little higher temps to up the transpiration, because less ir to warm up leafs. Dunno. I can't do shit about my temps or humidity so I try not to worry about them :D

I run RO, not tap. My tap is too inconsistent, and I hate chasing ph all the time so I filter to RO. I usually only add around 0.2 to 0.3 EC of Epsom salt or calmag to my base nutes, which seems to be ok growing in coco drip fed.

One thing you can do to control temps is use a dryer hose to pull air from top when it's too hot, or down from the bottom to keep it warmer when it's cold. Seems to help by a few degrees.

Horselover Fat

Veteran
I run RO, not tap. My tap is too inconsistent, and I hate chasing ph all the time so I filter to RO. I usually only add around 0.2 to 0.3 EC of Epsom salt or calmag to my base nutes, which seems to be ok growing in coco drip fed.

You know I didn't adjust my ph at all. Canna nutes seem to have enough buffers for my water. I followed the ph daily in the beginning, but I realized that it was stable.... well not stable at a specific ph, but the fluctuation was in acceptable limits. It might even go down to 4.4 sometimes after water change, just to bounce up to 6.5 and then start going down again. Which is of course how the buffers work. In a bigger container the ph might have stayed more stable.

Loved hydro and dwc! Just the right mix of following measurements and following the plants for me. I mean daily ec readings is something I enjoy :D Second round is one week into flower now.

Attachments

• IMG_20200905_144209.jpg
    IMG_20200905_144209.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200905_144646.jpg
    IMG_20200905_144646.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 12
OK thanks, i'll add cal mag or MgSO4 alone.
Does this deficiency make the fan leaves slightly droopy also? That's what i have...

Does it affect pH? It should raise it no?

Horselover Fat

Veteran
Does it affect pH? It should raise it no?

Cal/mag? I dunno. I didn't measure. I add cal/mag first & mix. Check ec is ~0.5. Then add A mix, add B mix, check EC is ~1.5.

Topping up I check EC. Then add cal/mag to my water to make it 0.5 ec and then enough nutes to bring the solution in the dwc back to 1.5 ec. I stopped checking for ph because it went up and down, but stayed within limits most of the time.

sshz

Finishing up my grow under two Gavitas.......... looks like I’ll get over 100 oz under 1290 watts, about 2.2 grams per watt. Search me out for the entire grow In google, “sshz and Gavita”......
Anyone who doesn’t believe you can get better weight under LEDs rather than HPS better pay attention!

robotwithdreams

Veteran
Finishing up my grow under two Gavitas.......... looks like I’ll get over 100 oz under 1290 watts, about 2.2 grams per watt. Search me out for the entire grow In google, “sshz and Gavita”......
Anyone who doesn’t believe you can get better weight under LEDs rather than HPS better pay attention!

Thats great! Ill check out the google for your thread. But while we have you here. How much space did you end up using with the two gavitas to get that yield? 32sqft, 40sqft?

sshz

Each light was over a 4 ft x 4 ft area......the lights are 43 inches x 44 inches, so they just fit. I go into great detail about the lights and the grow. It will be very helpful for LED growers.

dreadlocos

In Short LEDs light produce around 2.5PPF per watts and HPS averages is around 1.4-5 per watts so yes LEDs will easily in the right setup produce better yield

gladysvjubb

Veteran
Just took 8 cuttings of Malawi from the Mother I posted about.
She is doing very well 7 feet from this simple screw in device.
All the naysayers will balk, however I am doing it quite successfully.

ebay.com/itm/150W-E27-LED-Garage-Light-Bulb-Deformable-Ceiling-Fixture-Workshop-Lamp-15000LM/303665396116?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item46b3de3994:g:QLEAAOSwksRfRdds&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%252Fn%252BzU5L90Z278x5ickkpFtSR0CGv%252Bh98r8Yb9quS58IY%252BvJoeIkX08p6cRsBQI0T8ReczxUPmnMK4V43IIgqrzbhdK%252Fd3v0y%252F1OWiVgADpVhuVm7oaA3A9UfjDON2H34jgl4mcKz3ylydTsqHbrHWKx9mLTzs4TisvqIw3rj9l4JgCRZCkZ0jkOdxuDPl5bC66cAl2B1Mj6LnG1D%252BtYB8gt3QrEX9alJ8rx39AqIKd6GWumLimk8%252BqcvKWkmBoU6mbL38AfqlTZlneXkI3OrOz%252FA%252BIKePL%252Bq8eTpNY%252B7PhuevDTPnALMSa289pprL4XRMU%252BF8mRMNuxCSzpqKZTMYfjUqnbaImr136MeGv9h4dmibBMQm%252FyERWyHaJm4uZZ0vW89IaWwBOem0Zw%252BeMUySGXUUTQtbskZMmdc3jXqSg1KD6bwV%252BrnC3BRtITcdpjcecIxdWHalMMWK43rokNEldoPMaaNc%252FC7hLOB7yzsyRXexaNySIjxcbekap0HJ36TB9ZggsQKHFRHRWvSA99VFHTMAtCNfseFvKYPMyKupkR9BvheftjFuWPHJIuJ0u%252BLIn1OTJ3yyoZxHPe%252F2Bj3OecjpZvwEvYP4mcUKHdJzz97AaNVYmkwkoll9CuO%252FfOz1SA8euQesfCq3s%252FNXu5Q1sF%252BAOHKVFCaxkduSkqlab6TceM5Qyr957LZG0JwVk2YYrPcO0YtNj5OQ2yQIfd6NPfzOqXQ%252BYhDmsXNVb%252FVeF9uvila5ZCB%252BnGcpjztshgqItBeQzfvjHLag2kWM9fzqFmm%252FiUkKaI0UREfApF%252FA%253D%253D%7Ccksum%3A3036653961168354b198074e420b801931cedc3f2d81%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2334524

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
In Short LEDs light produce around 2.5PPF per watts and HPS averages is around 1.4-5 per watts so yes LEDs will easily in the right setup produce better yield

Yes, LED light has better PPF data than HPS light. The LED tech improved a lot in the past two years. The yield is very close to HPS now under the same condition.

hayday

Veteran
My gpw was 1.25 last run. I never got that with hps.It's cool tho, I'm not mad or nothin :greenstars:

Don't you think that with led's, plants finish faster? And if the cal/mag supposed deficiency was only a premature senescense?
Just a thought...

After lots of searching with every combination of keywords, I think I found the best deal. I like a certain style of UFO. They seem to have good output.
They are "rated" at 360, but draw 79w with a fan. Guessing the fan is around 10w.

Par was 1,900 at 6" and I think 450 at 18", tested with a borrowed apogee par meter.

^ with training, or sending clones straight to flower, it ought to be plenty strong.

They are only $20 shipped

https://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Han...chip+led+grow+360w+ufo&qid=1598732442&sr=8-59

indagroove

Veteran
After lots of searching with every combination of keywords, I think I found the best deal. I like a certain style of UFO. They seem to have good output.
They are "rated" at 360, but draw 79w with a fan. Guessing the fan is around 10w.

Par was 1,900 at 6" and I think 450 at 18", tested with a borrowed apogee par meter.

^ with training, or sending clones straight to flower, it ought to be plenty strong.

They are only $20 shipped

https://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Han...chip+led+grow+360w+ufo&qid=1598732442&sr=8-59

Are you sure that par meter was on the correct scale? Those ppfd levels seem impossible from that light, given the specs.