What's new

Does combining lights = combining lumens?

67gto

I have a 150w HPS that puts out 16,000 lumens and a 250w HPS that puts out 27,500 lumens. If i use both lights in a cabinet do the lumens add up to 43,500 or am i mistaken about this.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Only way to tell what plants are getting is with a light meter, your local hydro shop probably has a cheap one. We're trying to get about 5-6K foot candles (I believe approx 10K lumens) to the canopy, more is better (to a point). This usually works out to ~50 watts per square foot, less is not acceptable for flowering.

Photonic resonance will result in a geometric increase in light energy which should boost your power output to 360 yottawatts, which will either flash vaporize the planet or give you some MONSSSSTER BUDZ maaaaaaan.

No, never mind, you were right...

Noobian

Green is Gold
Veteran
Seems like you would add the two and that will make your total watts, but I'm not a scientist so I don't know. There's probably som physics law involved or something

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
Sure it would equal 43,500. Why wouldn't it? Light is energy, so having multiple energy sources in a single space, I can't imagine why one would interfere with another.

Try pointing to flashlights at an object. Or at each other. Light doesn't "reflect" or "impede" other light.

C

cork144

2 light sources dont merge the lumens, lumens fire out individually.

your watts used will add up, but you wont have 43k lumens.

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
It's not about merging, he has two separate light sources occupying the same physical space. They don't need to "merge" for the area to have the total amount their output.

Why would the space have fewer lumens than the output of the 2 light sources?

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
I researched this issue and couldn't get anywhere. The only people that care are growers and most of us don't know (or if we do we can't explain it to anyone else).

Pine

A little out of balance with one being larger, but there are many considerations. How fresh the bulbs are, what your space is with reflection and cooling. I just see one light being closer than the other, I would use them!

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
As a final answer YES LUMENS ARE LINEARLY CUMULATIVE!!

In other words if two light sources are illuminating the same area that area is said to be lit by x lumens (x equaling the sum of the lumen output of the 2 light sources).

Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumen_(unit)

The lumen can be thought of casually as a measure of the total "amount" of visible light emitted. So, lumens add together regardless of whether they are projected into the same space or not. If you've got three emitters beaming out light from approximately the same place, you could add them together.

All of these are not to be confused with luminance, which also takes the surface area into account

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
What? How they're measured? Did you read the Wiki?

They are additive. This isn't to say his two lights emitting the same # of lumens will "appear twice as bright," just to say that lumens are additive.

If you have evidence to the contrary please state it and cite your source.

67gto

Maybe i should elaborate. I had a 2sq. ft. cabinet that i scroged two plants under a 250w hps. I just got a 4sq. cabinet and i want to scrog four plants under 400w hps. I was given a 150w. hps and i wanted to know if i used the 150 and 250 in the same cabinet would i get the same benefits as a 400w. i have plenty of ventilation and a large carbon scrubber so that is no prob.

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
I can't answer that question as completely.

I can say this, a 400 watt lamp is more efficient than any combination of lesser lamps, same for a 600, etc . . .

Example:

A 250 Watt EYE HORTILUX Bulb has initial output of 30,500 lumens. So two would output 61,000 lumens and use 500 watts of power (not including power lost @ ballast).

A 400 watt light from the same manufacturer emits 55,000 lumens, and uses 400 watts of power (again not including power lost @ ballast).

Break that down and the 2 (250s) = 122 lumens per watt

Whereas the 1 (400) = 137.5 lumens per watt

More to your situation:

1 GE 150 Watt = 16000 initial lumens

1 GE 250 Watt = 28,500 initial lumens
TOTAL: 44,500

Whereas 1 GE 400 Watt = 50,000 lumens

So the combo produces 111.25 lumens per watt

Whereas the straight 400 produces 125 lumens per watt

I hope this helps . . .

whodair

Veteran
if possible scrap the 150 and 250. get a 400 its more efficient 55,000 lumens. plus the ballast is remote so easier to cool. and a digital you could use hps or mh. hows that for irrelevant and useless info?

Latest posts

Latest posts