What's new

Does Bud Candy or Sugar Daddy change the flavor?

I never tested bud candy but did some tests with sweetleaf and didnt like it I want my pot to taste like pot not come out all the same you have to be careful with these additives you can mess up a whole crop with just one.

S

sm0k4

Plants don't uptake carbs/sugars through the roots, they are added to help the microbes in the soil which in turn make the roots larger and able to uptake more. It will only enhance what smell/flavor is there. Nothing more, nothing less. Anything else is rumor and uninformed "opinions".

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Plants don't uptake carbs/sugars through the roots, they are added to help the microbes in the soil which in turn make the roots larger and able to uptake more. It will only enhance what smell/flavor is there. Nothing more, nothing less. Anything else is rumor and uninformed "opinions".

My bottle of molasses indicates that there is 650mg of Potassium per tablespoon. There are also some micro-nutrients in there. This might affect flavor and some other things, but I agree that the sugar cannot be taken up.

Pine

darkvade420

hey there fellow weed heads.i have tried yes bud candy it made my weed taste kinda like a sweet lemony candish smell the 2 times i ran it. definatley imo added some boost in resin formation and i quit using it becuse all the weed had an influinced taste wich im not into.

I started using surgar daddy i grew 2 strains with it and they both came out with a bold distinct seprate smells and huge flavors/that taste like amazing weed not some budcandy bullshit.i was running the full technoflora success package and i had fantastic results.:biggrin:

JOJO420

Veteran
After much examination and many trials I can say without a doubt that Bud Candy imparts a smell and taste upon any buds it touches. I can also say that SugarDaddy does not. Carboload does add a sweeter taste, but does not change the smell or taste as much as Bud Candy.Stay away from that stuff is my advice. Unless you have shit weed that tastes horrible to start with, that's the only time I can see a benefit to using Bud Candy.
10 ml per gallon of SugarDaddy does wonders to a plant, in Veg or Bloom :)

Ozone

My bottle of molasses indicates that there is 650mg of Potassium per tablespoon. There are also some micro-nutrients in there. This might affect flavor and some other things, but I agree that the sugar cannot be taken up.

Pine
Unsulphered Molasses, the best and cheapest, does add carbs,sweetness and feeds the herd, all others are just snake oil with fancy advertizing and packaging ,using molasses or some other sugar and charging you 25 bucks or more :tumbleweed:

coastal

Go buy some citrus sweet, and some grape sweet. Use both side by side and see for yourself. That way you can speak with confidence like you already are except it will actually be from experience.

Or do the right thing and just use carboload.

:)

I just read a article in Urban Garden Magazine about carbohydrate and amino acid supplements.
The author supposedly did research to see if plants can uptake carbs and amino acids through their roots.
His findings were- that because of a layer of cells around the root hairs called the Casparian Strip, plants are only able to uptake very simple and small carbs like plain table sugar, or glucose, and small amounts of amino acids.

Supposedly the supplements are better for feeding mycorrhizae and bacteria like previously stated.

That being said I have noticed the sweet smell thing as well, and different types of nutrients will make all my bud taste and smell the same. So there is definitely something going on here to make the smell/taste come out similar.

Also whenever I add Budcandy to my rez I get a nasty film/snot all over within a day, even with chlorine added and air stones. Must be feeding bad bacteria.

I just read a article in Urban Garden Magazine about carbohydrate and amino acid supplements.
The author supposedly did research to see if plants can uptake carbs and amino acids through their roots.
His findings were- that because of a layer of cells around the root hairs called the Casparian Strip, plants are only able to uptake very simple and small carbs like plain table sugar, or glucose, and small amounts of amino acids.

Supposedly the supplements are better for feeding mycorrhizae and bacteria like previously stated.

That being said I have noticed the sweet smell thing as well, and different types of nutrients will make all my bud taste and smell the same. So there is definitely something going on here to make the smell/taste come out similar.

Also whenever I add Budcandy to my rez I get a nasty film/snot all over within a day, even with chlorine added and air stones. Must be feeding bad bacteria.

We_Solidarity

wow...this is an old thread. i've been using the complete botanicare lineup, using berry sweet predominantly and the citrus sweet on strains that lend a citrusy smell. while i noticed some distinction, i felt that flavored carbos will always give similar scents and flavors, and if used all the way through 8 weeks, will absolutely need at least three weeks to cure after proper drying, otherwise they'll be harsh (we've done plenty of experimenting, with 80+ genetics, and have found very few genotypes that this doesn't pertain to)

the most effective carbo is unsulphured organic molasses. the kind you would cook with. i used USDA certified organic from whole foods (now available at a local hydro store), a friend uses raw stuff that is pretty much just dried molasses crystals. a little goes a long way...

all that being said, i use a combination of techniflora sugar daddy and the organic molasses. while sugar daddy definitely creates a predominant "sweet" profile that is similar between strains while fruiting, they all also exhibit individual profiles, and the finished product is always a smooth and unique smell and smoke.

i hope this helps, thanks!
-We_sol

Sensibowl

Bud Candy makes your grow taste a bit sweeter, from my experience. I didn't like it at first, but it really grows on you...

papaduc

Veteran
Well, with regards molasses, I can only assume that the more experienced gardeners out there just aren't that interested enough in these kind of imitation products (snake oils) to give an opinion on them, because having used molasses on and off for years now, and on cuts which have been ran over and over again, I can safely say that they do not add anything in the way of sweetness to the bud. Nor would I want them to, or expect them to.

This whole carbo bollocks started when someone from the hydro industry decided it'd be a good idea to take principles from organic gardening and apply them to hydro practice... because then there'd be a few more products to sell and some more money to be made.... and it seems to have worked. No surprise there.

If any product did impart some kind of flavour into the buds it would be by way of some synthetic ingredient, because basic sugars not only cannot be absorbed by the plant, but if they were, would give an acrid taste to your bud, not a sweet one.

FarmerGiles

"my suggestion would be to apply BioCanna BioBoost as a foliar spray twice a week at lights on"

Sorry my friend, but top gardeners never spray feed on plants during lights on, even if they did so out of necessity, they shouldn't advise others to do so, it's unprofessional. The beading of the water in the foliar application can easily create prisms, which will burn the leaves, particularly with ECs of 1.0 +. Although a wetting agent, even a basic one like soap, can lessen the beading, it's still a risk to your plant's leaves and therefore inadvisable.

If someone must do it during lights on, it's preferable to do it just before/as the lights come on as the leaves' stomata will be open then. If the temp is above 80 F then the stomata will close, so it won't work anyway and shouldn't ever be done over 85 F. It shouldn't be done after lights out either, as the humidity will rocket and it can cause issues with Powdery Mildew.

There is so much bad advice on the internet about growing herb, which others then simply repeat and it becomes established practice. Forums are the worst place for advice in my experience. Don't take my view, do some research away from weed websites and it will confirm it.

A

acridlab

I've noticed that carboload has a sweet end result also,, as does bud candy.. like someone said earlier,, I've started to cut them out in week 7 on a 10 week strain.. it definatelt seemed to help in my setup.. my og18 has way more pine flavor to it, now that i cancel it out 3 weeks before chop.

Happy Bud

My gramps used to call the smell of shit.... "sweet". He often said that it's that sweet smelling shit that makes tomatoes and other garden veggies their flavor and taste. He was known for decades for many miles around for having the sweetest best tasting tomatoes that many of our friends, family and neighbors had ever eaten. I still hear about it to this day when the older folds compare my tomatoes to his. Of course as a youngster I thought that he was also full of it.
After I got a bit older and started growing my own gardens. I often found myself playing in many of those same "sweet" smelling poop and composting materials that I now make my own organic soil mixes from.
To this very day THESE ARE THE VERY THINGS THAT WILL ENHANCE YOUR BUDS BEST FLAVORS! A good old fashioned Compost "shit" tea will do more for your buds than all of the products put together.
And yes, I've tried and done many comparisons with every single one of them. And I now no longer use a single one of them
AND THAT MY FRIENDS IS....NO SHIT!!!

This whole carbo bollocks started when someone from the hydro industry decided it'd be a good idea to take principles from organic gardening and apply them to hydro practice... because then there'd be a few more products to sell and some more money to be made.... and it seems to have worked. No surprise there.

If any product did impart some kind of flavour into the buds it would be by way of some synthetic ingredient, because basic sugars not only cannot be absorbed by the plant, but if they were, would give an acrid taste to your bud, not a sweet one.
Well since we've bumped this old thread, I've never used Bud Candy, but someone mentioned Agave Syrup on page 1. A few years ago I read Matt Rize's Veganics thread and gave it a try. Added agave syrup during flush. At 1 tbsp/gal the water didn't taste sweet, so I added another tbsp until it tasted sweet. Sure enough, the finished bud had the unmistakable taste of agave syrup, even left it on your lips. So whenever I read that plants can't uptake sugars, I know this to be 100% untrue from personal experience. I wouldn't do that again, at least not at that high of a dosage.

I heard if you feed your plants bat shit through the flush, it'll make your buds taste earthy and like shit. lol If you flush with strong straight mollases, it make the buds taste like smoking molasses.
There might be something to it.

Weeded1s

I only use budcandy at half strength and i only use it up til 2-3 weeks prior to harvest. Evertything tastes and smells different to everyone that tries it dispensaries included.

Latest posts

Latest posts