What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

does anyone NOT do catch and release anymore?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I use about 20 lb flurocarbon leader. The canals here look kinda nasty. Not the smell but all the trash at the bottom. They also experience a lot of run off. Today the tide is really high.

I have some shrimp in the freezer. Its been weeks since I threw a line in the water.

I have yet to fly fish in Florida.
I was using 25 lb fluorocarbon ,,,as that's only kind line I use ......huge mr halibut bit right through after a short fight......I spool whole reel not just leader usually....I am upgrading to 40 lb floro which I will use for both leader and whole spool depending..... at 25$ per \reel\spool It aint cheap....fluorocarbon rules...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
got my new wire ,,,afw surflon micro ultra 26 lb stainless braided coated and camo color and you can tie it like regular line or use sleeves...I don't have a fishing crimper but I do have a reg electric wire one .....don't know if it will work ..if not I will get the right one...Very impressed so far a lot thinner than I thought,,,and they make a even more subtle flexible one too..i will go for much heavier next order like 40 or 50 lb atleast.. ...yeehaw..I plan on being on the water atleast 3 times a week or more ..but that's normal for me....FLYFISHING florida is where I learned about fluorocarbon ...I caught a lot of fish fly fishing florida all the flats fish ,,I cheated in the boat some times by chumming and running attracting rigs,,sometimes trolling even....for offshore...I respect and love fish .. I have been know to kiss a beauty and then release it...no tongue tho I aint a sicko....yeehaw....my ribs should be good enough for duct tape so I can get in kayak monday.....shore fishing blows compared numbers wise....when in a boat /kayak whatever I catch a lot more due to hit and run fishing...and fishfinder

rod58

caught this one yesterday out in 45metres ..now the only fish i release are undersize and ones that taste like crap ..........
fish are a major part of mine and my familys diet so i go out for sport and also food , i don't play tennis or football , this is my bit of fun !
never weighed it but i'd say 35lb samson fish ...:)

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
I keep mackerel for bait,halibut ,yellow tail and corvina mostly ,,inshore......if its tasty and I am in the mood I keep it...but just enough for one meal as I like my fish fresh.. I give away extras if its a large fish and also feed the dogs some...yeehaw.. I am due for a big halibut any time now...

corvina is some good eating, salton sea used to have a huge population of them, all good size
(15lbs+)

Sad to say no blue fins were released last time. They make damn good sashimi though.

let me know next time you go man, I've been dying to get out on a boat!

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I will be trying bonito soon for first time next hookup..i was always told they suck ..now I am informed they are awesome but..you must bleed it quick and get it on ice or it goes to hell quick.. a friend says he rips out gills bleeds em and cuts off tail ..something about making the blood going out faster ???....yeehaw..he also eats some raw so I don't know lol.....takes a lot of saki before I do that shit

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
lol I honestly prefer sushi/sashimi to cooked fish; go figure. the texture of raw fish is more palatable in my case...like some fine beef curtains ;)

rod58

trout , those bonito are not bad at all ..like ya said , gill and gut them quick and put them straight on ice ...ya need to cool them down as they are a speedsta and they run a bit warm ....sliced thinly and with a bit of wasabi and soy , damn delicious :tiphat:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
mutton snapper is my favorite....but mangrove aint bad either....yeehaw..you sort of look like an old friend of mine...I got him to get his first turkey,,,

Wendull C.

Veteran
You got to fan out them tail feathers for the pic man, just like he was struttin for the ladies. I mean hens I guess.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
You got to fan out them tail feathers for the pic man, just like he was struttin for the ladies. I mean hens I guess.

lol I know, but opportunity was knocking! lol

I'm hoping to make it out to oklahoma to tag a whitetail this season; my brother in law manages a 4000 acre hunting ranch, half of it's high fenced and has a ton of whitetail and elk, the other half is a more natural population...the brother in law is a BIG hunter...they don't eat any beef at all...I lived off of ground venison and elk for the week I was out there, good stuff! I have some good shots on my phone of some of the elk...big fuckers.

Wendull C.

Veteran
:tiphat:

I'm hoping to make it out to oklahoma to tag a whitetail this season; my brother in law manages a 4000 acre hunting ranch, half of it's high fenced and has a ton of whitetail and elk, the other half is a more natural population...the brother in law is a BIG hunter...they don't eat any beef at all...I lived off of ground venison and elk for the week I was out there, good stuff! I have some good shots on my phone of some of the elk...big fuckers.

That would be a great trip. never got a whitetail before. Hope you get the 12 point grand dady.

When we get that beer I would love to see those pics.

Green Squall

I would take venison or elk over factory farmed beef any day, even though I've never had it.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
both are good..venison is really lean ..so cook it properly...my roasts I would cover in a few strips of bacon ..mmmmm yeehaw

St. Phatty

both are good..venison is really lean ..so cook it properly...my roasts I would cover in a few strips of bacon ..mmmmm yeehaw

Yep, the first time I had deer meat, it seemed logical to use my hand-crank hamburger grinder.

Very lean. I'm surprised they can get enough nutrition just eating leaves off bushes.

This year, they went for the tomato plants and the kale-type plants. Ignorred the eggplant for about 3 months. Then I think it was a large male, came through and nobody had told him what the other deers' menu was. Ate the egg-plant.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
most been undersized lately so no choice....got a 18 inch halibut last week but has to be 24 to keep...they don't grow big here like Alaska and north....yeehaw

Buddle

Veteran
White tailed deer are big where I am from. Before a lot of the late 80's development I could routinely show friends herds of 40 deer. There are still a lot of them but I haven't seen a herd over 10 in quite a while.
Venison is delicious but my favorite game is duck..yum!!
I got my first gun for my eigth birthday and shot my first deer when I was 12. I don't hunt anymore but I do love to fish.Lots of Pike, Black bass, White Perch. Walleye etc. I support catch and release as well. I do keep some of my Pike. There seem to be a healthy population of those in the river i fish. For years I never kept them. (too boney everyone says) I have a friend that can filet and cook the hell outta some pike..he made a pike lover outta me for life :) My husband loves it too!!

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
new jersey has massive deer population ..in some ares you can get a deer every day if you so wanted...deer populations have exploded but not as much as wild pigs .....yeehaw..both can be gotten easily..i pretty much hunt and fish for everything and will eat just about anything...pike and musky is good eating..we used to snag/catch them where legal as they were preying on the native brook trout at the stream/river mouth

Latest posts

Latest posts