What's new

Does anyone grow in an apartment?

dankydoodle

Do you think that this is still true for people with a MMJ card? I'm in an apt, I only run half my legal plants and a small 400 watt in an enclosed tent with a nice carbon filter which leaves me with no smell. Do I still have anything to worry about? Not being sarcastic, genuinely interested, thanks!

Let me open up your world for you just a little bit. You are in the minority when it comes to indoor pot growing. Meaning most who do it are not (surprise!) "legal". If YOU weren't worried...and your legal, why did you bother with a carbon filter, etc? Because you recognize it is STILL illegal under Fed law, and you ARE still compromised. So yes I would say in my opinion that you too sir DO have to worry if you are growing in an (unsecure location) apt. So med growers don't get arrested? Really? My point is why pass on advice to people, that is more than likely bad. Of course you are being sarcastic, so there you go. Your welcome.

dankydoodle

Great that you researched the subject.You should have reasearched the thread to.He is legal.So he isnt going to get busted.

Huh?

Where in this thread, is this stated? Quote it. Thanks, p

Nowhere that's where. And one more thing. The original poster seems like he might be a youngster, and based on that alone, I would say it's a bad idea. And remember too, the first rule is tell noone! Not even your cool ass neighbors who smoke too. Especially your cool ass neighbors. And I bet when his landlord finds out, he will be looking for his second apt. Life's a bitch!

Noobian

Green is Gold
Veteran
Apt growing is tricky, I wouldn't advise going over a 400w if you are in a smaller unit or have thin walls and close neighbors. You need a carbon filter and that is not negotiable whether you are legal or not because one thing is for sure, you will have some smell coming in those last few weeks! And if you don't have the cops to worry about there is always the threat of getting robbed by unscrupulous people if they know you have it in there. Tell know one! And don't be an ass and you should be ok.

No smell, no sell, no tell...simple as that

T-type

I did 1200 watts in a 1 br apt in and apartment building. It was scary. Just rent a house, its much less scary. Although it is always a little scary.

mg75

Get a tent. Grow in the winter. Don't leave the bong or the Buds for Less book out on the coffee table.

Sour Joe

this thread made me laugh. Keep your business to yourself, hide your lights, smells, and sounds, and money you can grow all year long any where you want to. I did it by the grace of god i didnt get caught but now i watch those elements but its being done everyday remember that.

Phedrosbenny

Trying to have a good day
Veteran
Do you think that this is still true for people with a MMJ card? I'm in an apt, I only run half my legal plants and a small 400 watt in an enclosed tent with a nice carbon filter which leaves me with no smell. Do I still have anything to worry about? Not being sarcastic, genuinely interested, thanks!

Oops...sorry...got the O.P. and another poster confused.

Alright well i appreciate all the advice. im definately not stupid enough to tell anyone about this grow, i would not do more than 400w i was already scared enough to do that, the fan does not make noise really so the only thing im worried about is smell and people walking in. im changing my lock so thats one thing. and i cant buy the tent and stuff cause i dont have money like that, im pretty broke from going to school and shit.

so i guess you can say im still going to grow this and see what happens. any other way to block smell besides carbon filter? like say 50 car air freshers hanging around lol plus febreze that sprays automatically every 15 minutes

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
An ozone generator will completely eliminate smells, no doubt.

I've got a cheap chinese one from ebay that works well. I run it for 15 minutes a day in the morning and can't smell my flowering plants at all and I have no carbon filter. The ozone generator cost me 26 bucks delivered.

imadoofus

Veteran
ive grown in an apartment- numerous times with roaring success. my last apartment was co-habitated by 3 leo's next door, even though the paranoia was fucking intense at times, i succeeded primarily by following simple and effective guidlines derived from the living situation and parameters that govern them.

1.) no traffic-at all.
2.) lockup the grow room. you can always explain a locked door- roommate, guns, grandma, ect.
3.) absolutely no smell, sound, or light. fuck carbon filters and explaining why theres a f14 tomcat constantly doing evasive maneuvers in the room. vaportek and ona pro work, and work well. there are simple ways to light proof the growarea. make sure your whatever method you utilize is 100% effective.
4.) be a anonymous neighbor- friendly in passing, quite and unobtrusive behind closed doors.
5.) the most vital and foregone rule- NEVER TELL ANYONE.

every time I've lived in an apt there were always a super or plumber in my place at random some time every fews weeks. in my opinion i know it sucks but I would shut it down and wait till you can rent a house. jail is boring with no pussy

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
ive grown in an apartment- numerous times with roaring success. my last apartment was co-habitated by 3 leo's next door, even though the paranoia was fucking intense at times, i succeeded primarily by following simple and effective guidlines derived from the living situation and parameters that govern them.

1.) no traffic-at all.
2.) lockup the grow room. you can always explain a locked door- roommate, guns, grandma, ect.
3.) absolutely no smell, sound, or light. fuck carbon filters and explaining why theres a f14 tomcat constantly doing evasive maneuvers in the room. vaportek and ona pro work, and work well. there are simple ways to light proof the growarea. make sure your whatever method you utilize is 100% effective.
4.) be a anonymous neighbor- friendly in passing, quite and unobtrusive behind closed doors.
5.) the most vital and foregone rule- NEVER TELL ANYONE.

This is exactly my sentiment, although a carbon filter is essential. I find the Ona gel and other industrial smell "cover uper" items are just too strong and smell weird. Carbon scrubber is a must for any grower living in an apartment...or house for that matter.

No smell, no sell, no tell. Learn it, Live it, Love it. spicolli[/ Judge Rienhold

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
sweet, thanks i just looked into it. but you only have to run it for 15 minutes to cover the smell for the whole day??

If I run it once a day, in the morning, you can barely smell it when you walk in the house. And thats after I have been gone for 4+ hours, if I'm in the house all the time I get used to it. I just started to run it twice a day, in the morning and mid day for 15 minutes. I have heard of people who run a large ozone generator in the same room as the grow and it will eliminate the smell from the plants, but, thats just hearsay, I've never done it, and won't try.

there are also some commercial odor removal products that work very well that have no fragrance at all. NnZ is the name of it. It will get rid of skunk odors/spray.

jjblunt

I have grown in apartments for about 5 years without fail and feel I can provide some good advice here. Two of the places I grew at, I lived right above the manager. (Not the smartest thing I have done and not recommended, but it WAS done with success and the managers thought I was the greatest tennant in the world.)

When you grow in apartments, you must know your surroundings and routines. The goal of growing in apartments is never do anything that would put the slightest idea in someones head that you may be growing or that "something is up". Last thing you want is eyes on you because they think you are doing something illegal or just downright strange.

1.) Before you grow, scope out your apartment for a few months. Does your management/landlord do inspections? How often? Are your neighbors home alot? How thin/thick are your walls? If you hear your next door neighbors conversation, you can be sure they will be able to hear yours, as well as loud grow noises.

You won't find these things out until you actually move in and live there. You may think you have the best apartment for growing until you live there for a few months and find out you can hear your neighbor take a pee through your grow room wall.

2.) Smell, Smell, Smell. Carbon filters are a MUST in apartments. You need 24/7 odor control. Your neighbors are in too close of proximity for you not to have that under complete control at ALL times. If possible, grow in tents or cabs. That way you know all you stanky grow room air is scrubbed and nothing is escaping as well as knowing your grow is light tight. Carbon filters also don't smell odd like ozone, in case any smell drifts toward your neighbors. I even do my trimming inside my grow tent, so there is no stank from the plants while I trim.

3.) Noise! Be aware of how much noise your grow makes. Fans, pumps, water splashing, grow rocks tumbling while you fill your pots, that all makes noise. To avoid the fighter jet sound from the fans, use an oversized fan and a variac controller. I have a 6" vortex running on a variac and it is VERY quiet and moves a lot of air. If you need more air flow, use an 8" fan and slow it down. An 8" at a slow speed can move more air than a 4" at full blast and be much quieter. Also, run your fans 24/7 so the noise is consistent. A fan turning on and off every few hours will be much more noticeable and strange.

4.) Security. Make sure you can tear down or hide your grow VERY well within 12 hours. Most places require 24 hour notice to enter, so make sure it can all be cleaned up within 12 hours max. As imadoofus said, lock your grow room door. If there is an emergency and they need to fix a pipe or something, they can barge right in.

If you want, change your main door locks as well. This can buy you valuable time as well as less stress for your mental health (by knowing you are the only one to have a key to your place.) Keep a spare set of the new keys by your front door, so if the issue of it comes up with your landlord, just say you were at a swim party and someone stole your pants which had your wallet(which has your ID and therefore, your address) and house keys, so you decided to change the locks to be safe and you have just been really busy with work so you forgot to give the landlord the new keys". Having them by the door to quickly give them the keys makes it look like you had the intention of giving the keys to them all along. Be creative.

5.) Be a friendly neighbor. Say "Hi" and make a little small chat with people. Don't be a hermit that grumbles when people try to be nice to you. If you are nice, people will be less inclined to think you are doing something illegal in your place, even if they do hear the occasional odd noises.

6.) Be the perfect tennant. Pay your rent on time, every time. This is the easiest way to be left alone by management. Keep your place tidy, inside and out. Don't give them a reason to come knocking because you left trash or something out on your patio or whatever. Don't throw parties or have people over that make a lot of noise, last thing you want is a noise complaint and have the LEO come knocking.

7.) Don't transport grow gear or growing mediums out in the open! Be creative! I use canvas grocery bags to transport nutrients and rockwool cubes, instead of the traditional "black plastic bag" or some hydro shops even give you a 'National Garden Wholesale" plastic bag. This will also cause less mental stress if you know you look normal, instead of worrying that someone saw you bring in that bag that has "General Hydroponics" written all over it.

8.) Mental Health. I think alot of people overlook this one. Mental health, to me, is huge. Growing causes stress. Period. Especially in apartments. From worrying if your pumps didn't die, if you are going to come home to a flooded apartment, if anyone can smell anything, if anyone saw you bring in that 2x4 grow tray or 10 bags of soil, if your manager is going to call and say your apartment is on fire.

The less equipment you have in your grow that can go wrong, the less times you have to bring that 50L bag of hydroton into your apartment, the less times you have to dispose of 30 gallons of potting soil, the less you have to do anything that may arouse suspicion, the HAPPIER and LESS STRESSFUL your life will be. :jump:

9.) And the last phrase, which applies to growing anywhere. No smell, no sell, no tell.

Thank you for reading!

UrbanAero

JJ hit it right on the nose, I live in an apartment but only have neighbors above, and on one side. I stayed away from an apartment with property management and deal with the owner directly. I love to live near the beach! who doesn't? not just for the bikinis on bikes either. I do not need airconditioning in grow room, just for myself for those few days a year it exceeds 85*F. I have a 4bd/2bth and 2bedrooms/1bath is dedicated to my grow, I have seperate locks for those doors and a story that explains why its locked and I can not get in(roomates on vacation, and locks his door). For smell I use the big blue ozone generator, I keep it on the exaust side of my 3 flowering tents, do not put an ozone generator inside the grow room unless you want to sanitize/ kill anything thats in it. In fact if you put the ozone generator before any fans(inline) the fans, equipment will have a shortened lifespan and fail prematurely. Although if you use a ozone purifier like the sharper image ionic breeze, it would be okay because they do not create dangerous levels of ozone gas(also not getting rid of the smell as well). My ozone generator completely rids the smell so when the neighbors start asking if Ive seen a skunk around I just flip a switch and its gone. Peace of mind for me considering the amount of plants I grow.

jjblunt

I will add....growing in rockwool or coco cubes is probably the best way for an apartment, IMO These mediums dont make noise like grow rocks, they are easy to stealthly transport to/from your apartment, when you are done just cut the plant and throw it away. No huge black garbage bags of soil to dispose of, just use normal kitchen trashbags and looks like your just taking out the trash.

Also, if you can, get a Reverse Osmosis filter. This way, you can just get your clean water in-house, rather than you having to carry up 6 or so 2.5 gallon jugs every week, and possibly arouse suspicion.