What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does anyone cure their pot with hickory, oak, vanilla, coffee or other outside influences?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
We age everything from cigars to meats to liquors to add flavor and body. Anyone do pot?

I make my own whiskey and oak makes a world of difference. I have friends who smoke meat with hickory. Cigars and pipe tobacco as well as coffee are very commonly aged/cured with some outside influence.

I am going to take my next plant and (after a proper dry) I am going to cure it in different environments. Maybe wood. I have oak for my booze stuff. Hickory or sassafras would be way better. Maybe fresh cherry wood.

And, definitely a few drops of vanilla extract on a cotton ball in one sample. I did that this morning. :)

I make my own candy so I have some oil for peppermint, cinnamon and a few flavors. Not sure if inhaling cinnamon oil would be great. LOL Have to go real real easy on that. Maybe 1 drop on a cotton ball and... into a jar with a couple buds.

Coffee might be a good try. Maple.

Personally, I like the taste of pot... pot. LOL Especially a well cured skunk. I am into about week 2 of my skunk#1 cure and it's starting to really smell and taste wonderful. But, I have never read of anyone doing this so I thought I would try it out.

I don't know. Just tossing it out as something new for me to try. Pot is my hobby and that's one experiment I don't recall ever trying. I just dabbed a cotton ball with vanilla and tossed a bud from a Zour Apples plant I harvested. I guess, with apples, I should have added caramel. LOL

I'll let ya know how it turns out and just curious if anyone else has done it. I don't recall reading abut it anywhere.

Peace,
Ringo

goingrey

There's the old trick of rehydrating dry weed with an apple slice.

What they do to scent jasmine tea could be interesting. Fresh jasmine flowers, changed for new ones every day, mixed in with the tea for a couple of days.

Boob McNoob

Complimentary aromas would add a pleasant nuance to the pedestrian shwag I produce from my anonymous bagseed. Intriguing concept - I will have to try layering in some lemon and orange peel in tea bags next harvest to see if they influence the experience.

Nannymouse

Interesting ideas. I also wonder why more people do not talk about combining different plants for the cure. Tobaccos are blended for flavor and effects. Would seem easier to get an 'orange' with whatever type of high is preferred, by taking a very orange flavor plant and curing it with the favorite.

Some folks have tried, but i don't know how successfully, to create a hybrid of orange and chocolate. I would think that it would be much easier to just cure them together.

The vanilla on the cotton ball sounds real nice. I also like the tea bag idea.

lemonade

Veteran
I packed some away in a dill pickle jar that apparently wasn't washed out enough as it gave a dill pickle flavor to it. Not bad actually.
Haha so true!😀

I’ve found Its pretty difficult to get rid of that “pickled” odour. More so on the metal lids then the glass itself i’ve found.

Some Tomato sauces seem to have that “staying power” as well lol.

What i’ve found works well is a cpl runs in the dishwasher, then an acetone or isopropyl alcohol wash, then the dishwasher again.

Barring that Pirana fluid or conc hydroxide solution to clean the jars. 😛

Never tried to “flavour” cannabis however, so i don’t have much to contribute there. It feels kinda unnecessary to me though.

Cannabis already has such amazing, unique odours/profiles.

Seems unnecessary to me to alter it with outside sources. Thought it is an interesting idea, and i wouldn't be opposed to experimenting myself!

I do remember when i was a teenager kids were putting those stinky “flavoured papers” in bags to make to weed smell fruity. 😂

Or more recently ppl adding synthetic terps to extracts. 😤

Last edited:

goingrey

Interesting ideas. I also wonder why more people do not talk about combining different plants for the cure. Tobaccos are blended for flavor and effects. Would seem easier to get an 'orange' with whatever type of high is preferred, by taking a very orange flavor plant and curing it with the favorite.

Some folks have tried, but i don't know how successfully, to create a hybrid of orange and chocolate. I would think that it would be much easier to just cure them together.

The vanilla on the cotton ball sounds real nice. I also like the tea bag idea.
Tobaccos are easier to blend because they are sold already cut, ready to smoke. With weed it would really only work with pre-rolls if the goal is a consistent product. And probably already being done with them?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I was reading a little on how they flavor cigars with scotch and cognac. Definitely going to give that a try. If liquor works, wine is worth a try. Maybe beer.

Also, I wonder if I cure it with a handful of cigarette tobacco, if it would taste like a cigarette.

I would hesitate to use any fresh fruit as I recall mold being big when using fruit to re-hydrate pot when I was a kid. Maybe dried fruit or hard fruit like cranberries.

I am also growing fresh sage and peppermint in my garden.

Lot of interesting variables here. I just harvested a plant that will be perfect for this. It should be dry in a few days and I will grab 8 or 10 jars and try different influences.

We will see what happens after a 4 week cure.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Knew someone who kept their buds in a jar with a large vanilla bean.
Never thought it was an improvement over the buds themselves.

Three Berries

Sassafras leaves or wood/root would be interesting. When I mow those leaves it's really aromatic and pleasant. I have Dawn Redwood trees too that lose their feathery leaves and have a similar smell as what my cured OG kush has.

Reactions: Gry

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've noticed a strong correlation between overfeeding and flavor issues with cannabis. I've found there's a large drop in quality/quantity of smell/flavor/potency when a plant looks 'slightly' overfed. In reality it is VERY overfed, because cannabis hides the absorption of excess/unwanted/un-needed nutrients/molecules very well.

I suffer from a rather sensitive palate and cannabis is THE most flavorful and enjoyable anything on the planet, so I personally find non-cannabis flavors to be mostly unwanted. The biggest sticking point for me is when those flavors also do not 'burn' well, or have other flavor changes when heated. I personally have not run across any *positive* flavor enhancements.

YMMV ;)

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I couldn't agree more that there is nothing better that a properly cured cannabis bud. All by itself.

However, I am not looking for better. Just different.

I would hate to have had gone through life having never tasted vanilla or strawberry simply because I thought chocolate was the best flavor. :)

With that said, here is a list of the items I'll be using for this experiment.

Fresh from my garden....

Lavender, rose, sage, tomato leaf and basil. I'll cut and dry all this before using it.

From nature, there's not a lot here in the desert. There are Pineon Pine trees everywhere so I'll get a fresh piece of pine. And, even though palm wood doesn't seem to have much odor, they are all over so I'll gram some palm wood. I think Home Depot has hickory for the BBQ grill. ??

From my McCorrnick stash... and, I like extracts since they are really just 95%+ alcohol and oil of whatever.

Vanilla, Mint, Lemon and Coffee. Also from McCormick, some ground ginger.

From my favorite candy lady, Lorrann comes..... peppermint and strawberry. The strawberry is just flavor concentrate and the only influence so far that's not natural.

From my wife's essence oil collection... grapefruit and eucalyptus oils.

I am also going to use whiskey, which is commonly used to flavor cigars.

I may come up with a few more.

I plan to put a cotton ball (for liquids) in the bottom of a Ball jar and then put a coffee filter into the jar and then place 3 or 4 grams of pot in the coffee filter. This will avoid any direct contact between the pot and the influence and should still allow any essence to pass through.

I am going to pack this all up in the next day or 2 and then I'll probably burp the jars every couple days at first, just like I would if I were just curing the pot. I'll pull it all back out in about 3 weeks and let you know how it smokes.

:)

Peace,
Ringo

Hmmm? as an afterthought, I also have a bunch of terpenes from True Terpenes back in the days when I was using them in edibles. I wonder how a cotton ball with myrcene or limonene would do. Maybe next experiment.

:)

Absolute sillyness. You don't like pot as much as you think if you even question doing this.

"My buds already dank I just want to taste something nasty on it" This experiment took one person one day to figure out. Like 10 thousand years ago. I bet the first grower to put perfume on his shitty crop had his hands chopped off by the king of some ancient land.

Yet the conversation goes on: When you try adding secondary metabolites unrelated to cannabis, to cannabis that doesn't even have elevated primary metabolism, it tastes bad. Limonene does not taste like lemons. Citric acid does. Adding limonene without citrate is going to taste bitter. It's not going to get you higher either.

Stop trying to gas light the cannabis community into thinking essential oils or whiskey barrels, or cigarettes are delicious. They aren't. Cannabis is. My God how do these things even make it into the same sentence. Nicotine is synthesizes in plant roots and cured to remove ammonia. What does that have to do with Cannabis. The word tobacco should be banned from this subforum. The word terpene too.

"If organic acids are hard to remove from pickle/spice/tomato jars, why didn't God make weed out of pickle and spice jars so we don't have to fresh freeze it to preserve the terpenes?" - Domestic Cannabis 2022

I'm going to cure all my bud in pickle jars from now on. Since pickle terps are apparently better than weed terps.

iTarzan

Stop trying to gas light the cannabis community into thinking essential oils or whiskey barrels, or cigarettes are delicious. They aren't.
Literally 100s of millions of people disagree with you.

You can exercise and follow whatever healthy lifestyle you choose and you will not extend your genetically predisposed age by more than a few years. A person who does the same amount of exercise and smokes, drinks and eats anything they want in moderation will also potentially increase their age a few years. And couch potato, eat whatever they want crowd don't care that you got 2-3 more years of old age. If you didn't get killed jogging, climbing, cliff diving and whatever else you do for fun.

iTarzan

I just read today that someone said people who drink coca-cola are freaks and losers.

I love coca-cola and give that person a big, "FUCK YOU".

I have a friend who is 70 and jogs and lifts weights. He is strapped! Every morning he drinks a Pepsi and smokes a Kool menthol and calls it his "breakfast of champions" He lives on bar food, beer, grilled meats and whiskey. He picks up "younger woman" actually 30-40 year old cougars all the time. When he leaves in the wee hours they are exhausted.