What's new

does anyone bottom feed Coco?

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
Here is my lil setup, but I guess it could scale however big your want. This is my first setup, I did tons of reading and decided the autopot systems was for me. I liked the idea of "the plants controlling waterings". My wallet did not like the idea of the autopot system. Also, with my grow space things needed to be smaller that the normal system. I found out that you can buy the smartvalve separately for $20USD. One thing I have read in a few places is that autopots can keep things a little too wet. Also, the roots can clog the pots with bottom feeding. So to prevent the rot and clogs I place a piece of root control fabric (the stuff for lawns) at the bottom of my pots to stop root lock and clogs. On top of that, I place 1" of perlite as a buffer and for drainage. Lastly, I use pure coco for the rest of the pot. I have already done a soil grow this way and the roots end up in the middle of the pot with small thin roots at the top/bottom. The fabric keeps the roots at bay, and always easy feedings.

Here are a very pics with my crappy cam. My normal cam broke :(

Pic one is an outside the cab shot. You can see my reservoir (kind of). It is kept high since the valves are gravity fed. I use a 4' flexable diffuser to aerate, and a small pump to circulate, the nutes in the res. The tube for the nutes passes through the wall of the cab. (I want my nutes cold please.) The tube then leads down to a three-way splitter. The splitter allows me to shut of sections if they aren't in use. From there, each smarvalve is fed. The smart valves are place in the middle of a small tray. The trays are those kitchen drawer organizer types. They fit perfect with my square 6-7" pots. I do not want a huge flood area. The idea of the autopot is the breathing of the roots. We want more flood and drain, not sit and soak, so the pots and valve fit tightly together.

Cost normal autopot - about $70 per 2 pots and tray with smartvalve

Cost el cheapo pot - $20 smartvalve + $2 tray + $2 for (2) pots = $24.00

This pic shows the tray with some liquid in it. You want to hold the valve down. It you don't the tray will flood too high and the smart valve floats. I use those office document clips to hold the tube and the valve in place. In a two plant setup I place it in the middle.

The rest of the cab is a 250w HPS with a 42w CFL and 28w 10.0 uvb CFL in the front and in the back for side lighting. I pull the uvb's out to not cook my plants too much.

I flushed at the beginning of flower and two times during my final flush for my first grow in soil. For my first grow I got about 2 ounces dry from one papaya grown in soil in a 6" pot. I am now in my second grow with pure coco.

I up the ppm every time I see the lower leaves lighten up. The res right now is feeding a speed queen in soil 16ml pure blend pro + 5ml liquid karma + 12ml sweet + 5ml Calmag. It end up around 1600-1800ppm in the res. She gets that every feeding, but I wont go any further since she is showing some burn. The plants that are 19" tall that just started 12/12 are getting 12ml pure blend pro bloom + 4ml calmag + 5 liquid karma. I add 5ml sweet, 5ml silica blast, or 5ml of hydroguard every so often.

So thats it as of right now, I am curious to see how things will improve for my second grow now that things are dialed in.

:wave:

3dDream

Veteran
Oh, I forgot to mention the best part of my setup... it runs itself! The plants drink as much as they want with out any electricity. That single speed queen has drank up to a gallon a day! Also, I don't waste any nutes since there is no runnoff in the setup. Oh, and the measurements for nutes above is per gallon.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
G

Wow. Thats awsome! Those smart vavles were my first choice, they didnt fit in my system. Post back with some harvst details.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
3dDream said:
I up the ppm every time I see the lower leaves lighten up. The res right now is feeding a speed queen in soil 16ml pure blend pro + 5ml liquid karma + 12ml sweet + 5ml Calmag. It end up around 1600-1800ppm in the res. She gets that every feeding, but I wont go any further since she is showing some burn.

that seems like a lot of Mg. Have you always used Sweet at 12ml/gal? Ive overused Sweet before (i think it locked out Ca), so i thought i would ask.

3dDream

Veteran
ShroomDr said:
that seems like a lot of Mg. Have you always used Sweet at 12ml/gal? Ive overused Sweet before (i think it locked out Ca), so i thought i would ask.

I went as high as 15ml per gallon my last grow without issue. My current grow didn't get to 12ml per gallon until the flowers started to bulk up. I give my smaller plants in veg 5ml per gallon every other week or so.

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
One for the capillary...passive crowd

One for the capillary...passive crowd

From a 2003 paper from the Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture titled: "Efficiency of water and nutrient use in containerised plants irrigated by overhead, drip or capillary irrigation"

Couple quotes:

"Rose and tomato grew on capillary mat as large as or larger than (dry weight) with drip or overhead irrigation when controlled-release fertiliser (Osmocote Plus, 5–6 month release) was mixed through the medium. Lavender and pansy showed no significant difference between the irrigation systems. However, when the fertiliser was applied to the surface or in the dibble hole, pansy, dianthus and anisodontea grew larger with overhead than with capillary irrigation."

"The volumes of water used by the drip and capillary systems were about equal at 2.6 and 3.3 L/pot.week, respectively, as were the volumes of runoff produced"

and....

"capillary irrigation gave more efficient water and nutrient use and reduced nutrient contamination of the environment compared with the drip or overhead irrigation systems."

Here is the link:

http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/EA02030.htm

peace

3dDream

Veteran
I want to bump this and correct some of the things I said above. You know one can always improve thier grow! I am still bottom feeding coco in cups and am getting great results with very little food. For a veg rate, I have been feeding 5ml pure blend grow + 2ml cal-mag per gallon to mostly 1.5-2 foot plants. In flower I got around 7-9ml per gallon w/ the bloom formula. I have very green plants that don't need to be flushed as much. Speaking of which, I have noticed that plants show you when they need a flush. You can literally see the salt at the top of the coco(base of plant). I flush as soon as I see deposits... so far so good.

Grizz

Veteran
you guys are helping so much with your experiance, This my be a little off topic but I currently am trying something in coco that might work well for those that can't be checking there garden every day. I was reading on the outdoor forum about this super absorbent man made super shammy.It absorbes 21 times its own weight in water. I cut this stuff into 1 in strips and made a x shape and place in 1 gl grow bags then fill with coco. I then tie enough strips togather to put the end in the water rez and it wicks the water into the grow bag, Ijust did this today with a tomato plant to see if it will work. so far it looks good, you can see the water creeping up the shammy into the bag.

3dDream

Veteran
It has been some time but I thought I would dig up this thread since I am always making changes. I am still using my DIY autopots. I have since cut out any root control fabric since in was not needed. The fact that the plants sit in water stops the roots from going crazy. Another change is that I only let the smartvalves do their thing if the plants are large enough to drink the water from a feeding in one day. Basically my setup can give small plants and plants late in flower more than what they want. I mean an inch of water is an inch of water. If they don't want it they can sit and rot (and we don't want this). So to prevent this I just let them flood 1/2" and shut the valve off until the tray dries and repeat. I can turn of individual trays if needed so I can be feeding some trays automatically and others manually from the same rez. I just completed a run using 6" pots and the larger pots are far more forgiving than a cup. I have also noticed that if I go over 5ml per gallon with botanicare sweet I will see sugar deposits (i thought it was salt) at the top of the cups.

my current mix per gallon for bottom feeding is:

Veg:
5-10ml pure blend pro grow
1-2.5ml cal-mag
5-10ml liquid karma

flower:
10ml pure blend bloom
5ml sweet
2.5ml hydroplex (I only use this for a couple of weeks)
5ml silica blast
3-5ml of calmag

I just completed a run of ace panama, paradise sensi star, and some f13 crosses and none complained about the food. I did have to up the calmag for the ss, but not much. I now flush the plants at the start of flower to prevent the salts from building up too high later in flower.

I just recently added bio-cat to replace hydroguard in my rez. The jury is still out, but it really has stabilized the ph in my rez. The label states:

Made by Nutrilife, Bio-Cat has been formulated to provide all the essential ingredients and live cultures to support the rapid growth of over 47 different beneficial organic micro-biological organisms!

Bio-Cat uses a broader spectrum of trace elements than traditional hydroponics. Furthermore, Bio-Cat establishes the Kreb’s cycle in nutrient reservoirs, (a complex chemical reaction essential to the manufacture and breakdown of plant acids) and builds a mixed colony of growth promoting micro-organisms.

What will Bio-Cat do for you?

Reduce fertilizer application by 30-50%
Stabalize reservoir pH levels
Increase rate of photosynthesis
Enhance plant growth and development
Improve taste, smell and texture of fruits and vegetables

A natural source of nitrogen, Bio-Cat uses the power of beneficial microorganisms to increase nutrient uptake and promote overall plant health. Although designed for hydroponics gardening, Bio-Cat also works well with soil based gardens. May be applied as a foliar spray.

We will see if bio-cat does anything. I am growing some clones that I have run 3-5 times before to see if there is a difference. The proof should be in the smoke.

one Q

Quality
Veteran
bottom feeding is the shit. Earthboxes of many kinds are good to grow in.

Ive done 18g rubbermaid size bottom feed coir/soil mix, 10g coir-perlite, 2 liter and 1 liter bottles all bottom fed over a few years. Good results.

The most fun is the small 1.5L bottles with the tops cut off and put down into the bottle point down. Hole in the side like earthbox / hempy. Fill only from the bottom. The bottle is so tall that the top never gets wet, unless you keep it at FULL constatnly. Dry top inches = no gnats. These are good for outside too.

Latest posts

Latest posts