What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does anybody use Biochar as component of soil mix?

C

CulturedHeathen

Hmmm... so fir or pine char might be the best choice. I go through a few cords of fir each winter, so have plenty of that around.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have successfully used ashes instead of lime ~dont really understand why anyone would fear ashes

just dont over-do the lime/calcium amendments

S

SeaMaiden

Xm, IME wood ashes can become sludgey if you're not careful, too. I think the problem is to do with the kind of mindset that says if a little is good, more must be better, being coupled with using something like wood ash.

I spread ours out over the property, try to mix it lightly wherever it goes. When we have the fireplace going we can generate a lot of wood ash.

W89

Veteran
I'm using my iPad....not used to it, I've also got an itch on my arse,do you want to help with that too?

S

SeaMaiden

I can, but you might not like my solution. :) I've raised many, many children though, so I'm used to it.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
can i use activated carbon from an old scrubber as a biochar soil amendment

that is actually a pretty good question

something i have wondered also but not tried

not sure what reasons there might be not to but it would seem like a trip through the compost pile should negate any problems

maybe some one w/ industry insight or science would offer some caveats?

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah absolutely i would use it.

Composting does sound like the best route.

Also don't be too anal about your source of wood. Just so long as its chemical free and you don't overcook the char you are good to go. Hardwood will last longer (hundreds of years) but some softwood biochar is much better than no biochar. If it's good enough for MM then it should be good enough for anyone...

The ph raising isn't to be feared just something to be aware of.

:smoweed:

S

SeaMaiden

i have 3 filters to scrap and would like to recycle the carbon if possible

You must have missed my reputation message. Use it. It's simply another version of what's being done with biochar, and can perform pretty much the same role; i.e. nutrient 'sequestration' (ad/absorption) as well as providing homes for microbes.

"Also don't be too anal about your source of wood." This too but at the same time be aware of what you are charring because there is a lot of different species of trees and bushes that produce branches that look like it would be a good idea to make char out of but it can actually harm you. For example if you were to make bio char from oleander branches and you are near the barrel or can or whatever while it's charring the smoke can kill you or really hurt you.

Just be aware of what you are charring, it's the same as you wouldnt want to cook some poisonous fish and eat it..

S

SeaMaiden

OL, that's a very good point and serves for me as a good reminder to not try to char the wood chips I get for free from the outfit that keeps power lines clear of limbs for PG&E. They trim everything that interferes with access to transmission lines.

You also reminded me that I want to start planting oleander around the property as a deer-proof visual screen. Thanks!

John Deere

Veteran
Mixed my char into my soil totes today. Also added some more lava rock, the last of my bag of buffaloam, little bit of neem meal and some ewc, just for good measure. I started some ACT and I'll use that in a couple days when it's ready.

C

c-ray

i have 3 filters to scrap and would like to recycle the carbon if possible

I think most are packed with a.c. made from coconut shells, if they are a brand name scrubber it should be easy enough to figure out..

Oregonism

You can also test the old filters by burning a chunk of them. If they are any good to use, they won't burn.

Personally I wouldn't use them because of residues from parafin and sulfuric acid processing.....