What's new

Dodged a Bullet - Major Grow Box Electrical Fire

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Appreciate the kind words, CM. Please don't hesitate to jump in if you see a better way of doing things - my background is almost exclusively industrial, so my advice is frequently based on what I know will be safe rather than commonly used residential wiring methods. As you alluded to, much of the code is subject to interpretation and there are indeed many ways to do things.

silverhazefiend

"Aint no love in the heart of the city"
Veteran
That how fire situation sucks ..and I'm sure it was scary as shit

But don't blame growing ..I think ur electric looks a lil shady ..granted this could have happend with any store bought fixtures ..sometimes spending a few extra bucks instead of DIY really goes a long way ..I hope u can get over this ant get a better setup and get back to growing ..

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
I had been running the box with this new lighting system for a little more than a month. The fault appears to be the lamp holder failing. Burned up my fricking plants, man!

If I had not been home I would not have a home and the insurance would not have paid.

I am going back to closet grows or not at all.

mtbazz

So, just curious and don't take this the wrong way....but how safe do you think your box was and how confident are you in the work you did ? I am looking at that and based on what I see it does not looking something Id want in my home...also, is that some kind of insulation or something you have behind the lights? Is that safe? Some insulation can burn, or at least smolder and become a source of ignition for something else...

devilgoob

Veteran
Yes. It dumps water on electronics. If it's shorted, your breaker flips. You can have outlets with breakers you see on hair dryers.

A valve to the strings with a mechanism pullimg it open at a high gear ratio or temp to release a gas that doesn't burn, but suffocates the fire would also work.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
I was just wondering how your grow was coming along. Thats some tough luck for sure. I vote closet... with a smoke detector.

It sure would be hard to just stop growing.

Latest posts

Latest posts