What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Doc Crow's Medicine Cabinet. 420 W CFL powered Perpetual Micro SOG PPK

DocCrow

UPDATE TIME

Sorry all, I have been crazy busy this week. I have been crazy busy all week and this is the first chance I have gotten to post up this Tuesday's pics. I think they are all growing very well.

All pics shoe day 0 (of flower) and day 7

Whole Cabinet Shot
picture.php

View image in gallery

Kandy Kush and WWxBB

BDxOG

AK1+2

AK3+4

DocCrow

Well, M3 is growing like crazy, my biggest and best of the bunch and as of today is a confirmed Female. They all are growing VERY well, and went through today and checked em all out. Some are starting to show sex. I have a few confirmed females, and a couple that may be males. I will cull the males as I ID them. Everything has been very uneventful otherwise. I have had very little time in the house lately to check on em while lights are on. They were on the PPK wicks solely from Sat-Thurs as I did not have a chance to pulse feed them manually. The moisture level of the coco in the top layer was just moist enough to release a small amount of moisture when squeezed between my fingers. Seems perfect to me. Plants have never once shown signs of over or under watering since transfer. Other than pulse feeding by hand(which will be automated soon), I have done NOTHING since topping off the reservoir on day 0, check for sex, and pop a fan leaf off hear and there where light was sorely needed. No more than 15 min a day.

Kick Ass.

DC

DocCrow

WEEKLY UPDATE TIME

Here is my weekly update. All of the plants are looking good. All growth is healthy and robust. Some plants are growing better than others as you will see. M3 is 3-4"taller than the rest and is gonna run out of room if it does not slow down soon. I have culled M1, M2, and M5 for maleness. I still don't know sex on a few of them, hopefully by this time next week all will be known, as I need to take clones after Turkey Day.

Pictures

Still pretty boring, but in a couple of weeks they should get more interesting.
ALL ARE DAY 14 of FLOWER

Kandy Kush

Black Domina X OG Kush

White Widow X BlueBerry

DocCrow

M3 is within 5" of the glass already. Should I just go ahead and cut any clones and strip the fans off now to stop the stretching? I would do this Friday when I get back from Turkey day. At its current growth rate it should be within a couple of inches of the glass by then. I want to give the rest till 21 days of flower to take clones which will lollypop them. I won't further defoliate until they stop growing vertically. I think the one will need some training, but the rest should be ok, maybe even a little shorter than I was hoping for. I am also hoping that by the time I get back they will have all shown sex. I still have 4 that I am not sure if they are male or female.

I tried to pinch the stem of M# and bend it over, but when I opened the cab a few hours later the damn thing was standing straight up again. Oh well.

Let me know what you think I should do to control the stretch of the one without killing its final yield.

M3 is within 5" of the glass already. Should I just go ahead and cut any clones and strip the fans off now to stop the stretching? I would do this Friday when I get back from Turkey day. At its current growth rate it should be within a couple of inches of the glass by then. I want to give the rest till 21 days of flower to take clones which will lollypop them. I won't further defoliate until they stop growing vertically. I think the one will need some training, but the rest should be ok, maybe even a little shorter than I was hoping for. I am also hoping that by the time I get back they will have all shown sex. I still have 4 that I am not sure if they are male or female.

I tried to pinch the stem of M# and bend it over, but when I opened the cab a few hours later the damn thing was standing straight up again. Oh well.

Let me know what you think I should do to control the stretch of the one without killing its final yield.

Hey DocCrow,
If you have the horizontal space, you can punch a small hole in your container and tie a string between it and your bent over growing tip. Plants look good...email me some good genes:biggrin:

zeke99

Yes. The pots have a 6" by 1.5" plumbing sink tailpiece coming out of the bottom of the pot. This is filled with coco and sits in the reservoir below.
Loews PPK Division.

This is the first SOG PPK that I have had the pleasure to see.

Very nice sir! I too am a fan of the good docs methods. I will be starting a small cfl garden soon. Im sure your thread will be helpful. Cant wait to see those girls flower.

DocCrow

Hey DocCrow,
If you have the horizontal space, you can punch a small hole in your container and tie a string between it and your bent over growing tip. Plants look good...email me some good genes:biggrin:

I just ended up pinching it and bending the fucker over, I pull it down a bit to keep it outta the glass whenever I open the cab up. The lower laterals are shooting up now haha. Clones of this one are going in SHORT to start out. It is 6" taller than anything else in my cab and farther ahead in flower,

very nicely done! i'm thinking about something like this for proving seeds.

Thanks for stopping by bro. Proving seeds, pheno hunting, breeding, lots of possibilities.
I think a 6" deep 4x4 reservoir @ a density of 9 plants per sq'. One 600W hps. Thats 144 plants.
Endless possibilities

Loews PPK Division.

This is the first SOG PPK that I have had the pleasure to see.

Zeke We (The PPK Army) will have a PPK in every imaginable setup pretty soon. THe PPK SOG is great for my cab so far. There is no way I would devote the time needed for this if I had to hand water every day (or 2x per day late in flower in these small pots)

Very nice sir! I too am a fan of the good docs methods. I will be starting a small cfl garden soon. Im sure your thread will be helpful. Cant wait to see those girls flower.

Welcome to the show man. Pull up a seat and enjoy man. Ask questions if you have em, and feel free to let me know if you have any input here. Collaboration is the word of the day.

DocCrow

whoops hit the button.

those ak's look really nice! props

do you do any root-pruning?

Thanks Man! I like the looks of the AKs too. Truthfully, with the exception of 2 of them they all look really good. The Kandy Kush and one of the mandalas are kinda runty looking.
No root pruning. The roots stay the fuck out of the res. That is what I like so much about the PPK. The pots hold 1L of Coco. They get transplanted into the PPK pots from 5 or 12 oz cups when they are put into the flowering cabinet. There is enough coco in the pots so they will not get rootbound as they are only in there for 8-9 weeks. I pulled some Males over the last 10 days or so. After 3 weeks in the pots the rootballs only filled up MAYBE half of the pots. I pull em out once a week or so to take pics and check them all out. If there are any roots growing out of the tailpiece I just pull em off so they are not in the reservoir.

Hope this answers your question bro.

5th

Veteran
You can take each 1L pot out and say...move it to another part of the rez right? Is there not any build up of salt via the wick into the coco? I'm reading through PPk links posted here, but not yet finding what I'm looking for. I'd be very interested in something like this...

DocCrow

I know today is update day.

Here it is.

Sorry there are no pics this week. I spent a bunch of time with em today, but forgot to take pics. I am not taking them out of the cab again till next tues, it is just too time consuming. Sorry, but in another week they should be REALLY pretty, as they are starting to bud up now.

I took 40 clones today. It got me rethinking my mom/clone setup. I think I am gonna ditch the mom idea entirely. This will save me a lot of room when I build version 2 of my cabinet. (the plan is to run this one for a bit, get the bugs worked out, then make the final version with a higher quality more secure metal cabinet) I have to lollypop them anyways since I am gonna be running 16 per sq'. I figure that while pruning I will get way more cuts than I can use. I am just gonna do that, just keep cloning my clones. I am gonna keep running everything I have now, until I can harvest and smoke each one.

I also think I am gonna change my perpetual cycle. I think it will work better to do 8 in 8 out every 2 weeks instead of 4 in 4 out every week. It should be less work. That also means I can run up to 8 strains. Clone goes in, 2 weeks later gets cutting taken off of it, 2 weeks later those cutting are the next cycle.

Most everything is within a couple of inches of the glass now. I hope they stop stretching QUICKLY or a lot of training will be going on, and will hamper my ability to get more clones into the cab. I would like to put 8 more fresh clones in the cabinet in 10 days. to get my perpetual cycles started. Once I see yield/potency I will figure out which ones to keep running and which ones will get the axe.

Thanks again to everyone watching/participating. I will take good pics for you next week.

DC

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Doc ... That cabinet & ppk system is fantastic !!! :good:
The 1 improvement that i think would be a nice addition would be an LED panel instead of the cfl's . cheaper to run & a little easier to cool .
But its sweet as it is ..... great job dude :tiphat: