What's new

do you use RO water?

BuckeyeGreen

Here is Dyna Gro’s response to my question asking them if COCO needed different nutrients than other non-nutrient growing media, like Pro Mix etc. and this is the response I got from Susan Sommer- Who is turns out is Dyna-Gro’s CEO:
Unbuffered coco will steal some of the Calicum. We recommend soaking your coco overnight with a solution of 1 tsp fertilizer per gallon of water before planting in it. This helps to buffer it.

Happy Growing!

Susan Sommer

Dyna-Gro

Richmond, CA

(800) 396-2476

Susan Sommer

This is the feeding chart:
DynaGro does not believe that COCO has different needs than other non-nutrient media and that the Calcium and Magnesium supplied in their other nutrients is sufficient for COCO.
The Mag Pro product appears to be used to increase resin production.
No special feeding for COCO as it’s considered one of several non-nutrient type media. Simply follow the chart for that type of grow media. There is no special COCO feeding chart.
This all assumes RO water is used. I personally don’t use their other products currently but have in the past used all of them. The Pro-TEKT is a commonly used product by many growers as it does help make for a very healthy, stress free plants.

BuckeyeGreen

No doubt that could be the case that an RO unit needed to be adjusted. I had a water company set ours up because we had them put in units at two sinks and the frig. We were dealing with a family cancer issue and I wanted everything as clean as possible why she was undergoing treatment.
I haven’t had any issues for three years and I do take a ph reading a few times a year, usually when I start a grow. I’ve always recorded a 7 reading. I’m also strict about filter changes.

Brother Nature

People grow in coco because it can have a better CEC than soilless and organic mixes, this is also why it needs cal-mag supplementation. The absolute best information on how coco works is right here on this website, tells you everything you need to know. If you're considering growing in coco read The.Cook's thread until you understand it...

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Doesn't hurt to check the pH of RO water. Our RO tested out at nearly 10, once. The problem was that the RO unit was not flushing often enough. Ours could be adjusted, so we made it flush out more often.
Our RO tested out at nearly 10, because the ppm is so low there is no stable conductivity and you got a false reading. Only test RO water pH after it has at least 100 ppm mixed in the water to prevent false readings.

BuckeyeGreen

I followed this guy’s advice when I started out using RO. He seemed to think you could use a ph meter to test RO water. If he was wrong I’m happy to be corrected.https://waterdefense.org/water-filter/reverse-osmosis/ph-of-ro-water/
I’m definitely no authority on RO, ph meters and coco. Absolutely go to the coco site here on ICMAG for coco info.
I wanted to encourage the guy who just started out with RO that using it can solve a lot of growers’ issues and that it is easy to use. I’ve tested and adjusted for ph after adding nutrients for years and have never has issues doing it that way. If there is a better way I’m eager to learn.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
There are other ways to test RO water pH without using a pocket meter. However, that's mostly why one uses RO because there's no need to test it. It's starting with a clean start and knowing what's in the water af any given time.

The main reason I commended about this is when you see RO water pH of 10 that says it has not been purified or the pH meter is wrong. Because water with a 10 pH has a high hydroxyl content or high alkalinity. If the water has high alkalinity it's not purified. So my conclusion is a pH meter miss reading if it was indeed RO purified water. .

daleharris

I use RO and if I’m just watering moms I go 50/50 ish with tap water which mine is crazy high.
I also use Jack’s for RO and add one Gram of epsom per gallon when mixed as per their schedule.
Bottom line is for a home grower type I have the GE brand RO unit like box stores sell and have for years. It supplies my kitchen fridge ice maker and the sink spout is where I fill my jugs. A 2 gallon tank which can be upsized easily to 5 but I don’t need that much since it will produce 10-12 gallons easily daily. I am running 3 humidifiers plus RO for feeding no problem and in a couple months spring will eliminate the need for house humidifier.
I use an Oakton meter to check RO water and cross check to plain tap water and about every 18 months replace the membrane and I’m lax on changing pre filters in between to return filter base line readings.
RO water has great benefits just for ice and making coffee as well.
My two cents are worth what you paid for them but RO is a nice inexpensive home improvement with lots of upside.

Dr.Mantis

Well, you guys convinced me. I went and bought a ge ro system from the store and installed it today. Surprisingly easy for me - the least handiest person in the world - to do. The water came out at pH 10, which spooked me. However the EC was 0 on my meter, and 0 on the 500 ppm scale. Adding a single crystal of Citric acid to about a liter of water dropped the pH to 4.3. So, I think my meter can’t reliably ready such clean water. Cheers to clean water, and not having to use a bunch of acids anymore. For reference my ex is about .8 going in with pH 8.4.

BuckeyeGreen

You are going to love having stable, clean water that is easy to adjust to your needs. Your plants will love not having to deal with excess minerals and other toxins in the water. So now if you have any issues you will be able to eliminate water as a possible source. That’s huge.
Makes problem solving much easier to diagnose and easier to fix. If you use an organic soil mix like I did for most of my plants this grow, then all you do is add water when needed and you are done. I’m finishing up an Ace Seeds fem. Honduras/Panama that takes about 12 weeks of flower and all I’ve done for that plant is add water and remove old leaves.
That’s it for the total of 16 weeks at this point of its life. Easiest, most boring and most successful grow I’ve ever done. No problems, no issues. Nothing to do each day but enjoy looking at it. Makes growing more relaxing and enjoyable.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Well, you guys convinced me. I went and bought a ge ro system from the store and installed it today. Surprisingly easy for me - the least handiest person in the world - to do. The water came out at pH 10, which spooked me. However the EC was 0 on my meter, and 0 on the 500 ppm scale. Adding a single crystal of Citric acid to about a liter of water dropped the pH to 4.3. So, I think my meter can’t reliably ready such clean water. Cheers to clean water, and not having to use a bunch of acids anymore. For reference my ex is about .8 going in with pH 8.4.
RO water will give false readings until you have at least 120 ppm in it. Pocket meters use electroconductivity and if there's nothing in the water the meters will give false readings. Use regent tests for RO or Rainwater.

BuckeyeGreen

The main point I want people who are considering installing an RO unit to remember is that using an RO unit is easy to use, easy to install and they work very well. I don’t worry at all about the ph of the RO water. Tested it a couple of times over 2 and half years of using it, as Creeperpark says I’m sure the reading was false but it didn’t affect anything.

As he mentions though, if you want to initially make sure the unit is working properly, then use his suggestions to do that. My units were installed by a plumber who works for a water treatment company. I’m sure he tested it in some way but I trusted that it worked and never thought about it. My plants were thriving with none of the old problems and I’ve rolled with it from the beginning.

It worked properly from day one and I’ve never had a problem. If the ph of my mixed nutrient solution was in the proper ph range, I watered my plants with it. I haven’t had any plant health problems in all of that time. Made my grows so much easier and happier. Get one, use it, be happy!😁

For those who don’t want to mess with plumbing and would like a counter top unit, I’ve seen people rave about this unit: https://waterandwellness.com/pages/bos?sscid=31k7_futuc&
It will cost you about $400 but if you can deal with the cost, you’ll have good, clean, contaminant free water, no installation issues, your growing problems will disappear and your plants will love you.

Dr.Mantis

The main point I want people who are considering installing an RO unit to remember is that using an RO unit is easy to use, easy to install and they work very well. I don’t worry at all about the ph of the RO water. Tested it a couple of times over 2 and half years of using it, as Creeperpark says I’m sure the reading was false but it didn’t affect anything.

As he mentions though, if you want to initially make sure the unit is working properly, then use his suggestions to do that. My units were installed by a plumber who works for a water treatment company. I’m sure he tested it in some way but I trusted that it worked and never thought about it. My plants were thriving with none of the old problems and I’ve rolled with it from the beginning.

It worked properly from day one and I’ve never had a problem. If the ph of my mixed nutrient solution was in the proper ph range, I watered my plants with it. I haven’t had any plant health problems in all of that time. Made my grows so much easier and happier. Get one, use it, be happy!😁

For those who don’t want to mess with plumbing and would like a counter top unit, I’ve seen people rave about this unit: https://waterandwellness.com/pages/bos?sscid=31k7_futuc&
It will cost you about $400 but if you can deal with the cost, you’ll have good, clean, contaminant free water, no installation issues, your growing problems will disappear and your plants will love you.
Very good point about not messing with pH of RO even if it seems “off” . The buffering capacity of RO water is essentially 0, so even if it reads high or low your soil or medium/nutrients will easily correct it. For example, I used to have to use about .5ml of 85% phosphoric acid to drop my tap water to pH 5.6-5.9. Now a single crystal of citric acid dropped my pH “10” RO water to pH 4.6. Amazing! With all the alkalinity and carbonates removed the buffer capacity is way down.

Also great point about conductivity and pH by Creeperpark. I did quickly check the pH with indicator strips and it started alkaline and quickly went neutral as the water front moved up the strip. I have some phenolphthalein somewhere, and will check with that as well.

Also, unrelated: my coffee tastes waaay better.

Edit: words of confidence for anyone. If I can install one of these things you can too!

BuckeyeGreen

You are right about the coffee and also tea. I’ve read where coffee needs the minerals in tap water to bring out the flavors. It was stated that coffee will taste “flat” with RO water; in other words no body. I put that to the test right away. I’m a big coffee fan and I buy premium coffee; most people would call me a coffee snob.
I HATE Starbucks coffee. It all tastes the same to me. All you taste is the OVER ROASTED or char flavor. I read Starbucks roasts longer and at higher temps. because they can roast larger batches that way. It has nothing to do with roasting for the best quality, they do it because it’s cheaper to do it that way. CHARBUCKS. People taste that char flavor and they think, that’s big flavor and full bodied. It’s full flavored alright. Lots of bad flavor. My one splurge for myself, other than seeds of course, is high quality coffee.
The taste of my coffee improved with RO water. More flavor, full bodied and delicious. Tea is the same. The color of the tea looks better too. Not as dark and dirty. So yes, yet another benefit of RO water. My dog also no longer gets, I think there are called stuvites or stones in her bladder. Another great benefit. RO for the win!

radioman

I like the coffee pods put out by Aldi - right now I'm drinking the "French Roast". They cost about $4 a box of 12. I live in Vermont, so my water is naturally good - However I do go down to the "Spring" on the Creek Road (when the weather is nice) to fill up jugs to water my plants with - I also collect the rain water...
I guess that I never really thought about how bad water can be until I visited Arizona - I can see why the RVer's buy the RO water in Quartzsite vs. BLM desert well water...

BuckeyeGreen

Spring water and rain are the best. You’d have to have the mineral content tested to determine the right nutrient formula. If you grew organic, I’d add spring or rain into the pot without testing it.

Dr.Mantis

Spring water and rain are the best. You’d have to have the mineral content tested to determine the right nutrient formula. If you grew organic, I’d add spring or rain into the pot without testing it.
I agree that rain water is the best. Plants loooove rain water. I’m good with RO though, we don’t get much rain here, and RO is a clean slate to adjust as you please.

Latest posts

Latest posts