What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do you have an agronomy degree?

Easy7

Veteran
Kinda a personal post.

There is an agricultural school in our little neck of the woods. A student there I worked with and started to hang out, many years ago. He's the one that got me into growing ganja.

Got into a lot of trouble over the years. Yet never did more than two months jail. Always got strung out on probation.

Money is an issue with schooling. Living in a large area of farming and general agricultural businesses. Looking for wise old owls to chime in on the agronomy business.

Weed is not so legal here and very limited and just starting medical. Seems I've spent most of my years developing interest and knowledge on the cannabis forums. Likely a very high tech industry and knowledgeable source of crop production, cannabis has become.

Having a record which is most serious a decade old. How hard is it to get a job even in standard crops and agronomy work? Kinda hard to explain that what got me into this area of interest being cannabis. Would love to see legal cannabis unfold much more than simple state laws. Not very likely with the current politics, but ok.

Lot's of Amish around. Lot's of corn, soy, wheat and alfalfa hay. Seems I mostly right now know how to put a fortune into soil. I can make some mighty pricey dirt basically. Education would be not as exciting, much more synthetic and industrial standards.

I would love to see not only cannabis having a strong hold but traditional crops being more organic and ecologically progressive. I feel I could help the Amish a lot and maybe influence 'English' farmers. Farming is traditionally a very poor and expensive industry.

Advice?:tiphat:

Speed of green

grow high brix organic produce. Test the brix of all the produce around you for a baseline.

Everyone is on the granola train these days.

drive said produce to your nearest city and sell to all the hipsters.

Easy7

Veteran
There is actually a produce auction that is where we have sold live stock. Haven't made anything with goats. Mom babies the shitters and critters far too much. I eat the animals.

If things get desperate enough I'll try to turn a section of the almost worthless hayfield into a tomato and pepper garden. I think about 16,000 lbs of tomatoes can bring in $30k gross. I have no idea how many tomatoes I can harvest by myself. I only grow 4 tomato plants and nine peppers this year in a 4 x 8 garden. Had to add more goat manure to that. Pretty much go as cheap as possible on my home veggies but still organic.

Funds are always an issue. Never sold more than 1/8 of ganja and was heavily pressured to do that. Was always just into the growing of ganja for personal meds. Sucks to pay for the stuff 99% of the time. That's a whole long story as to why.

Anyone know how many pounds of tomatoes a guy can pick in a day? Any experience with growing for a produce auction? I also think maybe I could hook up the Amish with down to earth organic products. Most of them don't have the internet and we all know how deprived of modern products that can leave someone. Not sure If I could bring down pallets of down to earth products and auction those. Auctions are also risky as you may lose money. Gotta be sure that the auctioneer knows exactly what it is and all that. Maybe safer to just sell lot's of shit to the Amish at rates, I dunno.

It's all experimental thoughts at this point. Already renting a house from family and if things get bad enough it's in their basement.

I have my soil science degree. Definitely helps. But you can make it without one. I'm definitely not doing as much as I can with mine.