What's new

Do you Believe in Ghosts or Afterlife?

non

Veteran
no and no. but then again i'm afraid of the dark in urban environment, but that not might be because of supernatural causes. dark forest no problem.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Not so sure about ghosts roaming among us but I do believe in some sort of afterlife/awareness based on a personal out of body experience and being aware of going "somewhere" with a very intense sense of serenity.
Death doesnt scare me anymore.

shithawk420

Veteran
This whole "energy cant be created or destroyed" is non sense.i believe Einstien came up with that theory.Einstein was proven wrong on so many things he should only be taken with a grain of salt.anyway who am i to say who is right or wrong?

BlueBlazer

What were we talking about?
Veteran
I don't necessarily believe or disbelieve. I'm open on the subject.

That said, there has been a lot of fraud, wishful thinking, and just plain misunderstanding that certainly clouds the issue.

Through Science, we have been able to debunk a lot of superstition. You have to be careful though, because science doesn't answer the question of what consciousness is much less whether there is life after death. We know how our brains work, mechanically. But that ability to reason, that part of us that says "I", may or may not just be the function of our brains. If that is the case, then we simply cease to exist when our brains quit functioning.

I have first hand experience in how how we can manifest for ourselves experiences that seem real, but are not. And I'm not referring to my acid trips. :biggrin: What we experience is our own reality, but our experiences can be misleading. Just look at optical illusions and you can see that. However, when I was a boy, I sneaked out of the house late one night and rode my bike around. I knew I'd be in dutch if I got caught, but for stupid kid reasons, I wanted to do it. When I was returning home, I was so keyed up that I saw my mom standing in the yard looking at me with a very pissed off expression. It was fucking real. My heart hit my shoes because I knew I was caught. However, when I reached my yard, no one was there. It freaked me out because I was so sure. Imagine if I saw that and my mom was dead . . .

I don't believe in any religion or the gods they worship. However, I'm open to a realm of spirituality that may lay behind what we think we sense on a daily basis. I just don't put a lot of faith into hearing people's experiences because I know how tricksy our brains can be.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i didn't until the night after my father passed away. some of the relatives were trying to console my mother, sitting on the couch. i was on the other side of the room watching them. turned to look away, got a glimpse of movement out of the corner of my eye. when i turned back, there was my dad standing behind them in the doorway looking down at my mother with a loving smile on his face. he looked just as he did when he was courting her in his teens, riding over on horseback to visit. no mistaking that face. he was gone as suddenly as he came... :comfort:

Croissant

yes and no.

First of all think of that wolf child that never learned to speak. he never entered into language and all its preexisting culture, while we all have. Our entrance into language is our entrance into the ghost world so to speak. Ghosts continue to exist in the repressed aspects of the psyche that we inhereit from our parents. So it is really just repressed psychic energy that we may experience manifest in halucinations of ghosts.

So what you might experience as a ghost is the repressed trauma of your great grandma being raped or something of that sort.

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
Hi. While I can't speak for others or their experiences, I'm 100% sure there are no deity/afterlife related occurrences & 99.9% sure there are no ghosts or supernatural phenomena. Just my opinion.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
This whole "energy cant be created or destroyed" is non sense.i believe Einstien came up with that theory.Einstein was proven wrong on so many things he should only be taken with a grain of salt.anyway who am i to say who is right or wrong?

lmfao.. well feel free to fire up your large hadron collider and prove it... :D

Castroman

Yes and yes indeed. I think at this point the rational attitude is not to believe, but accept the fact, which is well-established even when the scientific paradigm is still lagging behind (which is its normal behaviour as per Kuhn's "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions"). There are many respected MDs and surgeons that tell you about patients clinically dead for a long while then come back and tell them what they talked about *outside* the emergency room where they were. And if you want lighter food for thought, watch a few episodes of "Long Island Medium" there is edition of the conversations, but the stuff is unscripted and real.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Could write in length about this topic, I do not believe in life after death, though I do not discount an "afterlife" however how this relates to our consciousness here and how is greatly abstracted, and yes as do all my ponderings, it is rooted in a logic that is congruent with all realities

how special is that

pss I do not have that "special" vision, I do not see into the spiritual realm that exists past the humanity expressed by those living around me, I am not however so shallow to think that the things that the things people report are maligned reports or pure delusion.

I can't see underwater, and I never learned how to on my own, but after watching someone fish who had an understanding of it and by watching him I was able to realize what it was he saw.

Weird analogy but then again for me its par for the course

TheScrogFrog

No on ghosts. I have begged ghosts to haunt me, nothing ever happened.

Afterlife who knows, would be sweet if there were more after this. But hard to believe.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I too have wished to see what others see.

I never saw the things they saw, nor do I believe I ever will, but I have learned to see through their eyes, and that has been all I needed to understand the dynamic.

When we finally simulate life as it is now, all these considerations will have been made, organically by us, and replicated in algorithm.

Apply, Wash, Lather, Rinse, REPEAT

waveguide

Veteran
you boys stay tuned for when i can share this shit eh, then you know good n proper, i'll show you again and again until you beg me to lie and say i faked it.

fuck maybe i'll check out what kind of attachments i can upload here.

attachments heheh

RetroGrow

Veteran
I don't believe in "believing"....I need proof.
Anyone can believe in anything....doesn't make it true. Superstition is a powerful force. The power of suggestion is real. The placebo effect is proof of that.
I do believe all the folks responding in this thread are under the influence of hallucinogens...:biggrin:
I saw a bumper sticker: "I break for hallucinations"...

Swamp Thang

Veteran
watch a few episodes of "Long Island Medium" there is edition of the conversations, but the stuff is unscripted and real.

With all due respect, Castorman, that Long Island Medium lady is clearly one of the most accomplished confidence tricsters ever to fashion a career out of serial deception and hocus-pocus.

The so-called medium very obviously conducts extensive online family tree research on each of the punters whose money she grabs, such that she can make reference to departed relatives, to give her long running scam an air of legitimacy.

The most hysterically funny aspect of the Long Island Con Woman's shtick is when she makes a puffing or farting sound by blowing hot air out her mouth, while claiming that performance will bring ghosts to life. Anyone who believes even a moment the bullchit served up by that woman should please contact me, because I have some ocean-front property in Arizona for sale real cheap.

angelgoob

I believe.

Although what happens after death and how it impacts "me" it would seem I would be "everything" and therefore wouldn't see myself so clearly as I do now.

I once told somebody that was possibly contemplating suicide that the afterlife feels like when you're sleeping and not dreaming. Shouldn't have told her that at all. I should've said "I don't know exactly."