What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do y'all wash outdoor crops?

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I couldn't get the pm off the leaves.

I have tried the 3 step method that I posted above. My 1st outdoor crop had everything - PM, bugs and bud rot. 4 autoflowers. So I cut out the rot and washed them - baking soda wash for the PM, lemon juice/peroxide acid wash to kill anything left and a rinse wash to neutralize. I made some pretty good bubble hash from the result after it was dried and cured a bit. I used it again with a couple of Ayahuasca fems that had PM. You can see the wash setup in the pic. Again, it worked very well and the dried plants produced some great cured bud.

chop-setup.jpg

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
I have tried the 3 step method that I posted above. My 1st outdoor crop had everything - PM, bugs and bud rot. 4 autoflowers. So I cut out the rot and washed them - baking soda wash for the PM, lemon juice/peroxide acid wash to kill anything left and a rinse wash to neutralize. I made some pretty good bubble hash from the result after it was dried and cured a bit. I used it again with a couple of Ayahuasca fems that had PM. You can see the wash setup in the pic. Again, it worked very well and the dried plants produced some great cured bud.

View attachment 18902455
Must be because I only used peroxide as a wash. Now I just try not to get pm and if I do I can now get rid of it before harvest. I only washed this year to clean bugs and debris out.

slyman

Well, it is done, upped the concentrations a little bit from that infographic. Didn't really seem like the water was penetrating the pm but we shall see. I'll report back when all is said and done

NEED 4 SEED

I've washed some live plants the other day which I had previously dusted with ground flowers from a feminizing experiment. I had to grind these flowers as they didn't open to release the pollen and then I didn't think of screening out the pollen. That's why I tried to shower off the residue after completely covering them in the ground flowers. The outcome is not too clean. The shower probably was able to remove some debris but not very much. A lot kept sticking on the plants. I am just hoping this helps enough to avoid mold in late flower.

Bona Fortuna

H2O2 is a good wash, just as baking soda and lemon juice is. They both have different uses.

H2O2 is essentially fancy, oxidizing water. It’s a great as a surfactant and doesn’t produce any Ph related byproducts. It’s great for washing debris and detritus out of your buds in a non-invasive way. Doesn’t really wash away biological contamination.

Baking soda and lemon juice are meant for biological contamination. It neutralizes and ‘washes’ organic materials. Not a great surfactant, but it will get debris out to an extent.

To each their own. Some people will wash before they throw out bud and some people call it a wash and dump contaminated bud.

Outdo

Interesting conversation. I had no idea that there was controversy surrounding this topic. I assumed that everyone who grows outside washed their harvest on some level. I personally don't consume anything grown outdoors without some type of cleaning process first. Whether it be an apple or herb. It does not affect taste nor potency.

I use a qt. of 3% peroxide to 4 gallons of water as a disinfectant. I follow that with 4 gallons of water with a 1/2 cup baking soda and a 1/2 cup lemon juice as a detergent. I then rinse in 4 gallons of plain, filtered water. Thirty seconds to one minute of a gentle dunk/swirl in each bucket. As long as the water isn't too cold and you don't beat up the buds in the process no harm will come to the precious trichomes.

Now, if I were growing indoors in a clean room type environment I wouldn't see any use for it. I also wouldn't see any use for an IPM protocol in that type of situation either.