What's new

Do we really want to be happy? Or...

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
What is happy? There's an inherent ambiguity in the term because different people have different ideas of what it is that makes them happy. Could you look at someone and tell if they are happy? I'd say no. And if you say yes, you probably haven't been with enough women. ;)

southflorida

lives on planet 4:20
Veteran
What is happy? There's an inherent ambiguity in the term because different people have different ideas of what it is that makes them happy.

The first three posts in this thread explain what I consider to be true happiness. I know it's a lot of information to read, but if someone actually wants to be happy, it's not that much, especially compared to how much time the average person spends on suffering :)

Could you look at someone and tell if they are happy?

YES. jk...of course not. True happiness is a personal and direct experience for every one of us.

I'd say no. And if you say yes, you probably haven't been with enough women. ;)

Women...now there is something I'm a Connoisseur of :woohoo:

southflorida

Veteran
I can't have one of those women. This makes me un-happy. What is your advice? I should be happy teasing my-SELF?

Be happy that you can't...because if you could you would be very unhappy considering how much suffering women create for us, poor-little males :biggrin:

Liza

Some men look into their minds into their memories, and find naught but pain and shame. These whine eternally.

Nature is wasteful, but how well She can afford it!
Nature is false, but I'm a bit of a liar myself.
Nature is useless, but then how beautiful she is!
Nature is cruel, but I too am a Sadist.

The game goes on, it may have been too rough for Buddha but it's too dull for me.

Viens, beau négre! Donne-moi tes lèvres encore!

Note: The last paragraph is a quotation. In Paris, Negroes are much sought after by sportive ladies. This is therefore presumably intended to assert that even women may enjoy life sometimes.

Aleister Crowley

southflorida

Veteran
Some men look into their minds into their memories, and find naught but pain and shame. These whine eternally.

The game goes on, it may have been too rough for Buddha but it's too dull for me.

Viens, beau négre! Donne-moi tes lèvres encore!

Note: The last paragraph is a quotation. In Paris, Negroes are much sought after by sportive ladies. This is therefore presumably intended to assert that even women may enjoy life sometimes.

Aleister Crowley

This one flew over my head. Is this something this Mr. Crowley once said?

I did like this part though:

Liza

It's from his Book of Lies. Like Crowley, I am also interested in Buddhism. But I also like to smoke, drink and enjoy all things sensual and rapturous. Even though according to Buddha this is all false and only leads to more suffering, not happiness. This poem by Crowley tries to answer some of those questions. Bob Dylan said: any fool can be happy. Sorry for quoting so much.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
...there is no pain without me, and no pain within.

and hope springs eternal.

life after death smells like cheese.

a knockout rat is what is...just a distinction.