What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

do these root riots have powdery mildew?

G

Guest1298

hi there folks i took some cuttings a few days ago..i was checking em today is this powdery mildew on these root riot cubes cheers
DankUser

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
just tried them for the first time...mine get the same way when they dry out...i thaught it was salt build up, but maybe its a mold of some sort....

i like the jiffys, and will be going back to them, much better and faster root rate imo

Guest02345

it looks like some type of fungus/mildew. ive had that happen a couple times over the years. ill just grab my fiskars and trim that back. never came back to my knowledge.

my tew since

G

Guest1298

do you think i should dump em and start again?? as i dont want mildew in my grow room Peace Dank

i am going to look for jiffys on the net now cheers

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
do you think i should dump em and start again?? as i dont want mildew in my grow room Peace Dank

i am going to look for jiffys on the net now cheers

ive left mine alone and they are rooting fine, if you are really worried then i would just use some garden fiungicide, or dump em if you are really that worried...

ive only ever had this problem on root riots, rapid rooters....

Bi0hazard

Veteran
If they are gifted cuts or popped beans - No need to dump them.

Get - "Eagle 20" it's a systematic PM killer that you use only in VEG stage. It will kill any PM and prevent it in the future - you only have to use it once.

Amazon Link @ http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-20-EW-F...ZZFM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334075056&sr=8-1

Try to keep the cubes with PM as separate (or quarentined) from the other cuts if possible. But either way I would recommend treating all your cuts / veg plants with Eagle 20. You won't be dealing with PM again. Most people use it right before flowering each round and completely avoid any PM.

Dilute it in water, basically 2ml per gallon I think (check the forums of people using it). And dip the cuts/veg plants into the eagle20-diluted water. (Do not dip the roots just the green plant matter).

21P3hwCgajL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's just a fungus it's fine, doesn't affect the plant in anyway... Just bury the top of the cube in dirt, you'll be fine

GrowbagUK

Hmmm... I think PM tends to mostly colonise plant material.

PM will overwinter in plant debris as a spore but these spores will need living plant tissue to take hold. You would be seeing powdery growth on the plant first.

If you pre-soaked the root riots with boiling water then that would have killed any spores.

Don't think it is PM but would give it a neem spray if really worried.

G

greenmatter

PM lives on plants, not the grow media.

if it is mold you may want to do something about it just in case it is a type of mold that will cause you problems ........... read herborizer's thread on cloning, $3 worth of pool shock goes a loooooooong way

G

Guest1298

thanx everyone for the help and info i just checked the root riot
pack & its on the one's in the pack too so i have dumped em and i will start new clones and use new root cubes or jiffy 7's
thanks everyone Dank

takkada

Get - "Eagle 20" it's a systematic PM killer that you use only in VEG stage. It will kill any PM and prevent it in the future - you only have to use it once.

Amazon Link @ http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-20-EW-F...ZZFM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334075056&sr=8-1

Try to keep the cubes with PM as separate (or quarentined) from the other cuts if possible. But either way I would recommend treating all your cuts / veg plants with Eagle 20. You won't be dealing with PM again. Most people use it right before flowering each round and completely avoid any PM.

Dilute it in water, basically 2ml per gallon I think (check the forums of people using it). And dip the cuts/veg plants into the eagle20-diluted water. (Do not dip the roots just the green plant matter).

View Image
i just got me some and needed to know how to apply and when, thank you peace

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Water impurities and or salt buildup?

I had some peat pucks that grew beards. Don't know if it was mold or mildew but it wasn't good. I spayed some 1/2 strength 3% peroxide on the pucks. The growth dissolved immediately and didn't return. Best wishes.

M

MummyCat

just had to switch from rapid rooters to root riots and I'm having problems with them, I noticed that stuff grows on both brands but for whatever reason 25% of the cuts in root riots are getting rot. If I cant find rapid rooter's again I'm going back to rockwool

S

SeaMaiden

If only more people with just a bit of sense in their heads would be the only posters in threads like this. Joe Fresh and DiscoBiscuit folks--read what they've written and pay heed.Disco's H2O2 trick is all that's really needed, and that's if it's even needed.

I'm currently rooting a whole bunch of stuff (veggies and cannabis) and it's popping just fine with whatever the fungi (there are at least two) are that are growing. It's only attacking the dead stuff.

View Image
<FACEPALM>

Awesome, any time ANY kind of fungus is suspected, let's hit it with a product that's known to cause resistance, EVERY TIME. Just. Fucking. Awesome.

Dude, that's not even powdery mildew. Greenmatter already pointed out that powdery mildew ONLY LIVES ON LIVING PLANT TISSUE. Not rooting media, not soil, not peat, not human lungs, not anyone else's lungs, ONLY LIVING PLANT TISSUE.

Even better? Use it as a prophylactic! What better way to create resistant PM fungi than using this kind of anti-fungal as a prophylactic treatment. I know, because I've read, of many, many others, including those who supply dispensaries, use this technique. It has little good foundation in fact or science, only with stoners.

Que typico.

Reading on... GAAAHHH!!! More people using E20 to treat a fungi that grows on dead stuff. FUCKING AWESOME!

This doesn't just need a facepalm, it needs a tactical facepalm.

Attachments

• tactical_facepalm.jpg
    tactical_facepalm.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 38

turbo14

Veteran
Umm.. These plugs are inoculated with beneficial fungi and Mycos... Leave your Eagle 20 bottles in the cabinet...The plugs are fine..

turbo

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
ROOT RIOTS ARE DIRTY - AND CONTAMINATED.

BOIL ROOT RIOTS AND RAPID ROOTS AND THEN PRE SOAK FOR BEST RESULTS.

Don't trust them - yes they probably have mold - but not PM.

boiling them for 3 - 5 minutes is perfect. cool and squeeze - store in clean zip locks.

I recently saw soemthign on another site claim problems - I went into my hydro shop earlier this week and brought that up - they actually had some one in there bring a brand new un opened bag of RR and it had aphids and shit in it - and this guy was a regular who bought a box of bags at a time... so when I brought it up this fool got all bug eyed.

I haven't cloned with boiled Root Riots yet but I will be trying this week - I been having cloning problems and I'm trying to dial it in.

my :2cents:

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You guys have missed the big issue,,,they have never had beneficial added, its never been on the packet and has never been advertised , I've been using them since they first came out,,I contacted growth technologies when I first noticed a problem and they said it was beneficial,,,this was a big fat lie,,,at the time I believed them and continued buying,,biggest mistake in my growing life,,,took a year to figure it out,,near killed me,,felt life committing suicide,,my whole life stopped ,,here is the whole story

I have been using root riot for years and early last year I noticed white mold on the cubes,, first time id ever seen it, at first I thought it was nothing then I started seeing problems,,,I started new mother's as usual in root riot and transplanted to coco,,,(normal procedure),,,then one plant started getting yellow when I switched to led,,i thought it was the led and lack of heat,,it looked like over watering,,I noticed mold growing on the coco and then the plant just died one day,,,like it had a fungus infection

Then suddenly all my clones became difficult to root,,that's when shit got serious,,,all my new clones started dying and mold was growing all over the show,,,all my new mother's were in the moldy root riots now and everything started looking like the plant that died,,,I hit them with everything,,Only zyme worked marginally,,,I started to think I had a systemic pathogen,,,not sure where it came from I went mad sterilizing my life,,but stupidly I kept buying the root riot,,

To cut a horror story short,,,one day I saw a mushroom growing on a cube,,,this was a real shock,,,but still I didn't click to the problem,,,il post a picture of what I saw below,,it's a shame I didn't take a picture of the actual cube,,,but what I saw is what i post below,,

Turns our it's exactly what it looks like,,white mold (Sclerotinia sclerotiorum),,this because systemic when I used the cubes for new mother's,,I have only just sorted it,,,they fuked me so hard I'm not even fully recovered yet,,,my life has had to be fully re built,,

FUK YOU GROTH TECHNOLOGIES,,FUK YOU FUK U FUK YOU,,

just to add insult to injury,,,rootit cubes had the same problem,,I tried both and both had the issue,,,

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20230607_161616.jpg
    20230607_161616.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • 20230529_202019.jpg
    20230529_202019.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 33

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
hi there folks i took some cuttings a few days ago..i was checking em today is this powdery mildew on these root riot cubes cheers
DankUser
Its mushroom mycelia and shouldn't be a problem. Just dilute some vinegar with water and spray the substrate before using.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you are talking about the same shit in my pictures,,NO It's NOT!!!!!! ,,,dont assume its nothing to worry about like i did initially,,, that mushroom I saw is a fruiting body from white mold (Sclerotinia sclerotiorum),,,it's not beneficial fungi and it's not something to ignore,,it becomes systemic and could well ruin someone's life who keeps mothers

boil them cubes if you are forced to use them,,, dunk in strong hypoclorous acid if possible ,,h202 ain't strong enough to kill it without putting crazy amounts in a pre soak