What's new

Do same plant clone differences, transfer to future clones?

Tomatoesonly

If I took 10 clones from the same plant, and for whatever reason 8 grew great and two were a bit slow.

Would taking clones from the two slower plants, end up with all Slow plants?

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
If I took 10 clones from the same plant, and for whatever reason 8 grew great and two were a bit slow.

Would taking clones from the two slower plants, end up with all Slow plants?
It's always nice to take enough clones that you can keep the most vigorous and toss the rest. Not that they will grow different finished product. More that you want future cuts off the strongest plants and the strongest will also yield better in the end.

Tomatoesonly

It's always nice to take enough clones that you can keep the most vigorous and toss the rest. Not that they will grow different finished product. More that you want future cuts off the strongest plants and the strongest will also yield better in the end.
I got this clone that just didn't keep up, so I wanna clone the whole thing and throw the rest of it away to get some space back. But I don't want a bunch of weak clones if they take after their.. "mom".. second "mom"??
They should be genetically identical, no matter what.. right?

Greenheart

Veteran
Genetics didn't change. The growth rate is an environmental factor. It is natural that some clones will take off faster than others. I have heard of clone degradation over years. I have never experienced it.

I doubt that getting your cut off the slowest clone will introduce any slow growth traits. It is more likely it didn't develop it's roots as rapidly as the others due to environmental conditions so it lagged behind. It may be more difficult to get the clones to root out if the donor plant isn't in a robust stage of vegetative growth.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
If you were to experience degradation. Would you think it would more likely be from always choosing the strongest or the weakest. Even if it did just root slower there has to be a reason for that. I'm sure it's true it barely matters...... Hopefully...... over several generations and possible stress though?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I take a few cuts from any given mum plant and cull cuts that under perform.

Environment and luck of the draw are a thing.