What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do Mother Plants Smell? Do I Even Need A Carbon Filter For A Mother Tent?

MajorGrindage

I am starting up my first mother tent with a 5x5 tent.

All of my other 5x5's are filtered with ac infinity 8 inch carbon filters.

Ive never kept a mother plant tent, and so im curious if you guys have any experience with the smell or not.

If i could avoid a carbon filter in that tent that would be great, but i like to avoid any smells in my house.

Thanks in advance for any help, i appreciate it very much!

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I am starting up my first mother tent with a 5x5 tent.

All of my other 5x5's are filtered with ac infinity 8 inch carbon filters.

Ive never kept a mother plant tent, and so im curious if you guys have any experience with the smell or not.

If i could avoid a carbon filter in that tent that would be great, but i like to avoid any smells in my house.

Thanks in advance for any help, i appreciate it very much!
That's a good question friend. I have noticed that in some cases when the lights first go off the plants will discharge gases out of the stomata. Those gases are a process of transpiration. It is not the plant in itself but the result of gas exchange. After the gases are released fresh carbon dioxide and new oxygen replace what was discharged. Sometimes it can be strong but it's short-lived.

Now the answer to your question is to use the carbon filters if the smell is noticeable. When you first walk in you know how strong the smells are like and if it's strong. Always use your nose to tell yourself what you should in any moment to keep it safe. If it doesn't stink then keep it simple.

aqualungs

I have a small tent and I can connect a flex tube to the other tent, then the exhaust fan will absorb the smell.
From my experience, exhaust fans do not absorb smell. All Cannabis plants smell, some to more of a degree than others, even while in veg.

Maybe get a non-smoking/non-Cannabis using friend to come over and do a sniff test.

Obey laws and keep your license up
to date.

endgegner

From my experience, exhaust fans do not absorb smell. All Cannabis plants smell, some to more of a degree than others, even while in veg.

Maybe get a non-smoking/non-Cannabis using friend to come over and do a sniff test.

to date.

But the other tent has a carbon filter which will absorb the smell together with the exhaust fan. My point was to connect the mother plant tent to the flowering tent which has a carbon filter. And since mother tents are smaller, the exhaust filter is strong enough to absorb it (but I only need to use level 3 of my exhaust fan anyway).

aqualungs

But the other tent has a carbon filter which will absorb the smell together with the exhaust fan. My point was to connect the mother plant tent to the flowering tent which has a carbon filter. And since mother tents are smaller, the exhaust filter is strong enough to absorb it (but I only need to use level 3 of my exhaust fan anyway).
Sounds like a plan.

Your mother tents are smaller, my mother/veg tent is a 4X8. I have worked in facilities that have a full Mom room. To say “Mother tents are smaller”, can be misleading to new growers, that just applies to your set up.

From my experience, you will never totally eliminate the smell of Cannabis if you choose to grow Cannabis. Carbon filters help but I doubt will fully eliminate smell. I used to use them, they make a little difference but everyone can still smell the Cannabis plants in your house especially if they don’t smoke or grow. Folks that don’t smoke or use Cannabis seem to be able to smell it way before you will notice, as the one living in the space/home/apartment and no doubt also consuming.

Be safe, we don’t want you arrested or losing your residence.

xtsho

to date.

Yes they do. I had some males in my veg tent stink up the house really bad. I couldn't wait for them to drop their pollen so I could chop the plants and put them in the compost.

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
A 5x5 tent full of mothers, chances are huge that you'll smell cannabis in and outside your house considering you're growing in a bedroom, street level.

But won't happen so fast, you'll have time to order and place (a week) a carbon filter if needed. Go day by day, when you think smell is leaking, still on time to do the job.

Latest posts

Latest posts