What's new

Do molasses and humic acid do the same thing?

BlueGrassToker

Yes, we should avoid molasses with high sulfur content, such as the first cut of any brand of molasses. And that is another reason to ONLY use blackstrap type molasses of any brand. Sulfur is a necessary element for the plant, and the levels at the blackstrap cut are fine for horticulture.
Blackstrap also has carbs that are more usable than the other cuts.
The plant itself uses the sugar too, not just the myco.
If you are growing in straight coco, when you flush with water at the end of cycle, it is a good idea to include blackstrap as it will serve as an ionic fluid and help to collect any salts. Much cheaper than purchasing Clearex or something similar.

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
maybe this is better for a diff thread bluegrass, but I've been discussing that with a buddy who is a chemist at a nute company.

As far as I understand it, and i could be way off, but in order for the plant to absorb 1 part carb, it has to expel X amount of the macro nutrients?

So molasses or a gimicky nute brand carb product used during flush actually serves to remove salts correct?

BongDaddy

Yes, we should avoid molasses with high sulfur content, such as the first cut of any brand of molasses. And that is another reason to ONLY use blackstrap type molasses of any brand. Sulfur is a necessary element for the plant, and the levels at the blackstrap cut are fine for horticulture.
Blackstrap also has carbs that are more usable than the other cuts.
The plant itself uses the sugar too, not just the myco.
If you are growing in straight coco, when you flush with water at the end of cycle, it is a good idea to include blackstrap as it will serve as an ionic fluid and help to collect any salts. Much cheaper than purchasing Clearex or something similar.

BGT, would you mind having a look at the link I posted above and tell me if that blackstrap is ok to use? I'm confused by them saying no sulfites in one section, and then saying it does in another.

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
You know I have to get a grip on myself and respond to this in the AM... Because there is so much bullshit in this thread that I need to decide if I want the smell on me...

Speaking of "BS and smell": Black Strap molasses is one of the few brand names on the market that a gardner should avoid. BS molasses has "no added" sulphates, however those that accumulate during process aren't required to be detailed.

Brer Rabbit molasses on the other-hand doesn't use sulphates in processing and is still processed to remove any existing sulphates.

ANyway, this thread is so full of Blackstrap BS that I won't waste time with it tonight.

To answer the question: Gardners do not use BS... Unless of course it is BULLSHIT and even then we prefer it composted.

No. Don't use blackstrap, it BS. Use Brer Rabbit, it's unsulphered and don't cause herpies either. LOL

MMJcali

The only molasses I can find around me are two kinds: Robust, and Original. Both are unsulphured. Nowhere on the labels do they say 'blackstrap' or otherwise.

I havent tried it, but I was thinking the 'robust' sounded like it was 'blackstrap'. thoughts?

BlueGrassToker

No, robust is not the blackstrap or "third" cut of molasses. Robust or "full flavor" usually is the second cut, while mild or a similar name will be the first cut. Only blackstrap is the third and final cut of molasses.

Stress Test, it is YOU that are pouring out the bullshit now. You need to know what YOU are talking about before you start chastising others.
Brer Rabbit is a name brand owned by BG foods. It is not a specific type of molasses, as there are three Brer Rabbit labeled molasses available; Mild, Full Flavor, and Blackstrap.

Gardeners in the know use blackstrap molasses. Even though the other cuts do provide some nutritional value and some usable carbs, they don't have what blackstrap has.
Blackstrap is the type of molasses you will find in bulk used by horticulturalists all over the world such as at golf courses and farms.
What you won't find are these suppliers providing any other cut but blackstrap for horticultural use.
No, Stress Test...is is you that are spouting off bullshit that you apparently don't really know anything about.
How the hell do you know so much about the products processing, yet don't really know what products they provide?

*Mejiers is the largest grocery chain in America. They have a license to sell Wholesome Sweetners Organic Blackstrap Molasses. It is more expensive than most other brands, but it should be easy to find. If you can also find Brer Rabbit Blackstrap, it has even more than the Wholesome Sweetners offering.

FWIW, blackstrap is a great source of potassium, calcium, and iron. Most blackstrap will also carry a nutritional signature of 1-0-5
Liquid Karma is .1-.1-.5
PBP Soil is 1-4-5

*Many stores don't carry the blackstrap cut of molasses mainly because it is not used much by cooks. Many of the old time recipes calling for it are not made much anymore. A grocery store manager can order it though. All you need to do is tell him your grandmother wants to make some of her famous blackstrap cookies. He may well order it for you.

BlueGrassToker

They also process sugar beets into molasses in all cuts. It should not be used for growing, as it contains chlorides that can harm the soil bacteria and it's full of salts.