What's new

Do I use Coco nutes or Aqua nutes?

coolx

I got some plants in net pots from a friend and the medium he came up with is about 45% coco croutons, 45% earth worm castings, and about 5-10% coco fibres. I'm growing these ebb/flow on a coco mat.

This is my first hydro grow and I don't think this mix is really hydro cos of the EWC. Anyway what I want to know is that cos the EWC retain a lot of water and the croutons very little, am I really growing in coco and should I be using coco specific nutes? (BTW I'm using House and Garden - Van de Zwaan)

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
maybe change back and forth eh? rofl! just kidding, basically i've know coco nutes to work on earth, but i never saw earth nutes work well all the way through on coco. so you best off going with the coco nutes, specially on the coco mats.

but i have to admit, that i'm no expert when it comes to ebb and flow in coco, let alone in a mix including ewc.

let us know how it goes and what you end up doing, pics would be cool too. :joint:

:wave:

Ono Nadagin

I would switch the % on the wormcastings and the coco... the castings will bring benes to your grow and a tad bit of fert as well as make your water cloudy .. but it shouldnt harm the pumps ... not sure if the castings wil show on the ppm/ec meter either so you should be able to just use any hydro nutes... coco specific nutes will help prevent lock outs due to using coco

Caligrown

Yes...Please some pics..I have been wondering about both the coco mats and the coco croutons. Are you in pots or are you using a bed setup similar to a hydroton e/f tray?

I am currently using the coco nutes from canna in their coir dust but last run I used Canna's Aqua flores and had a nice result until I overfed them. Here is a pic at 16 days flower using the Aqua Flores, FF Big Bloom (worm castings and bat guano etc...)

Ono Nadagin

I was going to try coco mats but my hydro shop only carries the GH ones and they feel like they are heavy in latex... very gummy feeling