What's new

Do I need to add other soil amendments to my mix?

Wooderson

That looks like a much better idea

It's always nice to build your own soil so you know EXACTLY what YOU put in, which results is a more dialed in approach. Especially when feeding bottle nutes.

Why not just make it easier on yourself and go like this

1 part EWC
1 part peat
1 part coco
1 part perlite

It seems like you have a pretty good idea what you want to ammend with

I would recommend including alfalfa meal and glacial rock dust in your ammendment list. This will help your soil develop over time as you recycle.

Lisdexik

Questions; How much alfalfa meal and glacial rock dust? 1 TBS per gallon?

Weird Jimmy

Licensed Patient/Caregiver & All-Around Cool Ass B
ICMag Donor
Veteran
don't use green sand. It's an un-renewable resource. If you're using bottled nutes and supplements then bone meal or feather meal etc, would be overkill... use an oz of dolomite per gallon of soil..... I would ditch the Fox Farm soil mixes all together... a pretty basic recipe is 50% peat, 30% perlite (as large chunk as you can find), and 20% worm castings... you'll save yourself a ton of money....

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've always used Vermiculite,but plan on going further without it. It gave me that extra day or two of water holding capability, especially when gone for a few days at the festivals.

i have to leave mine for a few says sometimes and i find that topsoil at 15-20% helps it hold water and probabaly helps in other ways too like stopping the perlite from floating.

V.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ I must have done 6 trips in the last year and a half.

what I do if leaving, and usually gone anywhere from 4-7 days. I do one of the following.

-drench the shit out of them right before leaving the door. might have to check your calendar and adjust to get to water on the day of trip

-do above, and even leave some water in the tray, this is not the best option as waterlogged soil is bad

-up the light, light equals heat in most cases, so even upping the light,I have seen a day just by moving the light up

-put the fan on lower or farther away

-get a watering spike, and put in amount of water in container you think necessary. the clay ones work ( remember to test it out before leaving, don't setup the day of trip )

-you can up-pot if there needing it

-I cannot say 100%, but higher humidity if it's low. keep in mind airflow if in flower

-even thought to build some timed device to dump a container in trays ( I use trays to hold my containers ) , but most cases this isn't needed if doing on of the above

-I've seen watering systems like the oasis, that pump water through tubes at selected intervals, haven't used though so..

-and as V mentioned, I usually have a topping of something on my soil ( rock, coir strands, wood chips, dead leaves, rice hulls, and some others I've tried.. )

experiment around, that's most the fun. remember if you come back and your plants dead, there are more seeds and it's not the end of life. what fun is 100% right all the time anyway?

Montana

Rock dust is a great mineral builder and soil conditioner, greensand doesn't really kick in till at least the second use of your soil (very slow release rate), rock phosphate has about 30% P, but only 3-4 % of that is available per cycle, and it will continue to put out for 4-5 years......so don't add it every time.

These ammendments listed above are not worth it IF your using your soil only once, but very beneficial when soil is re-used.

Alfalfa is great stuff and has a growth hormone regulator, very cheap as well.......if you can get all these ingredients........use them all @ 1 tablespoon per gallon of medium.

Alfalfa
Bone
Blood
Kelp
Dol Lime
Glacial rock dust
Greensand
Rock Phosphate

All you would have to do is water with compost/mollasses tea every watering and your set, no more bottled anything....all the way to harvest.....and the more you use it, the better it gets.

Wooderson

Rock dust is a great mineral builder and soil conditioner, greensand doesn't really kick in till at least the second use of your soil (very slow release rate), rock phosphate has about 30% P, but only 3-4 % of that is available per cycle, and it will continue to put out for 4-5 years......so don't add it every time.

These ammendments listed above are not worth it IF your using your soil only once, but very beneficial when soil is re-used.

Alfalfa is great stuff and has a growth hormone regulator, very cheap as well.......if you can get all these ingredients........use them all @ 1 tablespoon per gallon of medium.

Alfalfa
Bone
Blood
Kelp
Dol Lime
Glacial rock dust
Greensand
Rock Phosphate

All you would have to do is water with compost/mollasses tea every watering and your set, no more bottled anything....all the way to harvest.....and the more you use it, the better it gets.

Right On, Thanks for the info!

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
i have to leave mine for a few says sometimes and i find that topsoil at 15-20% helps it hold water and probabaly helps in other ways too like stopping the perlite from floating.

V.
I definitely noticed the difference topsoil makes. I suspected this when I made my mix and decided to back off the vermiculite by 1/3 of my original mix. Glad I did,the mix holds water great,but not to much. I'll see how weening myself off the vermiculite works over time.

I have been researching soil mixes . I dont see a benefit to mixing FFOF and Happy Frog . I do however see benefits to mixing FFOF and FF Light warrior . And I,ve seen posts with good results mixing these 2 .Just add perlite 15-25 % ,Blood meal,bone meal ,and dolomite lime . I,m gonna try this mix next.I used straight FFOF on first grow .It sucks for drainage by itself still taking 5 days to dry out dammit ! It compacts badly also by itself also.