What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do i Have to cure for 5 months?

cheecha07

So I harvested some Master Kush and have some curing for 2 weeks already however no real change in smell or taste, although slightly smoother. Anyway I remember reading a couple weeks ago that a guy had cured his hindu kush for 5 months, by accident. Which made it amazing, since 1/2 master kush is hindu kush can I expect to wait 5 months? has anyone seen this with master kush? most of its already on the dry side so I try not to open much anymore.

150wclub

Most people see a noticeable difference after 2 weeks, i think you may have over dried them if you noticed very little difference after 2 weeks. you could try to rehydrate them with moist bud, orange peel ,lemon peel, etc. to try and get the curing process started again.

i recommend reading this thread to take the guess work out of curing next time.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=156237

Good Luck.

Once the buds are crispy, there really is no way to get the curing process started again. If you want to keep a bud for five months, I promise you it's going to look very amber, have a harsher smoke, and give you more of a couchlock compared to smoking it at its prime.

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
watched a GH video where they boxed their weed up in cardboard, leaf and all, they left em for 2.5 months as a cure
I don't know, jaring makes a difference but after a month its strain dependant for curing.
most guys cure for a week tops, so anything above and beyond is bonus

cheecha07

Thanks for the replies all were helpful.

150club- Read threw that article a few times already and many more like it, this is not my first time curing however it never turns out prime, although my standards are very high. Although everyone else seems to like it a lot. may try to rehydrate now most jars I'm just leaving for a week, by that time I should have some wet bud to throw in thanx for that tip, if there still dry. Also, I had some that were more wet and seem to taste/smell the same althought less smooth smoke ATM

BBlover- I wouldn't say there crispy yet, there still some stickyness and u can smash them without them breaking apart, so should still be in the cure zone, just on the lower side of it. Also, never heard of bud becomin harsher from curing properly, but mainly I'm worried about taste which is supposed to also get better with time atleast I'm told.

B.Friendly- I'll likely leave a small jar for a few months alteast to see wat happens, who knows maybe 5 even.

Ah very nice. Just keep that sucka sealed nice and tight and it'll stay good for a long time. The overdone "cure" I was talking about is bud in its crispy stage (from opening up the jar too much and grabbing bud to smoke). Taste will get better with age, but five months is a bit overkill. Three weeks or so into the cure is when my harvested buds reach their peak.

What would be an interesting experiment is this: jar buds or parts of buds separately in air-tight teenie-weenie containers and mark them for month1,2,3,4,5. Try each at their respective stage and tell us how it goes. I think I'm gonna do the same to some of my bud just for kicks!

cheecha07

Thanks for the idea BBLover I have the perfect little strawberry jelly jars to use for it. I too have opened my jars too much in the passed but now I space them out and have many more jars which prevents that while letting me sample. Also, noticed one jar has more moisture and smells pretty good when breaking open a bud, so theres hope for that jar atleast. Cant decide which to use for the lil jars though, probably the dryer

sneakinman13

Veteran
best advice i can give. is hang your HOLE plant to dry... only removing large fan leaves untilll crispppp.ur nugs should have that month cure smell as soon as it dries...
works for me
good luck

So I harvested some Master Kush and have some curing for 2 weeks already however no real change in smell or taste, although slightly smoother. Anyway I remember reading a couple weeks ago that a guy had cured his hindu kush for 5 months, by accident. Which made it amazing, since 1/2 master kush is hindu kush can I expect to wait 5 months? has anyone seen this with master kush? most of its already on the dry side so I try not to open much anymore.

It doesn't really matter. Just smoke it if you need to. It will improve in cure for 6 months, then start to degrade in quality IMO. I do not open jars that are curing.

unless you are into hash

unless you are into hash

best advice i can give. is hang your HOLE plant to dry... only removing large fan leaves untilll crispppp.ur nugs should have that month cure smell as soon as it dries...
works for me
good luck

and if you are into full melt clear dome good times, trim wet, freeze the trim, and use that fresh/frozen trim for bubble hash.

i used to dry trim, until i figured out hash is better from wet trim.

now i wet trim, and dry my trimmed buds on the stems, slowly, then cure. no problems and BOMB hash.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes cannabis has a shelf life 6 months would be the most I would ever do. The buds need to be in a air tight container to keep for long period of time. I find buds all the time I forget about and all are brown, harsh and so dry that it just crumples in your fingers this is no good. You want your buds just like they where at 1 month cure all the time. Curing is important and must be dome properly.

S

staff11

All I have to say is this. On my last drying out process I took down the buds when they were EXTREMELY crispy. Almost seemed if I let them dry for a day or two longer then what I like. As soon as I put them in the jars the reading was at 48% humidity. Depending on the bud size and density, they WILL sweat out the remaining moisture in the stems and inside the buds. Within 3 days the humidity was at an almost perfect 62% and stable. The extra day I dried helped me more then anything. Putting buds in jars that are too wet will cause more problems then not, mold, longer cure time. I know everyone swears by slow drying before the jars, but usually depending on the bud size mine are crispy within a week max. And they still cure and taste just fine. Haven't seen any improvement over trying to slow the drying process when the buds are hanging. It's all about managing the humidity in the jars....

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Personnally I have stash that is 1 year old and I would say that after 6months it's not getting better but after 6 months it is just as good.
I have smoked 2 year old gear (it got lost amongst my mason jars full of screws) and it was still solid, but not any better than say 6 months. :good:
Just because a bud is crispy does not mean it is completely dry as staff11 mentioned.
If you wait until the stems snap easily you are getting there though, I like them with stems still a little bendy.
I burp them over increasingly long periods of time from twice a day to once a week over 1 month then they are on their own.
Strain but also when you pick will dictate how the high will change, those who like alot of amber will get a more couch lock out of their nugs, those who pick early will keep more headiness to them but either way you getting smoothness.:kos:

The real question is with quallity homegrown weed can you keep your hand out of the cookie jar long enough to get them there...
:clock watch:

Nicoli

Veteran
I like a 1 month cure. I dont think ive had any that was cured longer than 4-5 months.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I like to put each plant, in it's own separate jar. Even among the same strain, some just have more bang than others....:blowbubbles:
I found mixing batches, from two different jars; could really 'goose' both of them up...

amannamedtruth

Veteran
watched a GH video where they boxed their weed up in cardboard, leaf and all, they left em for 2.5 months as a cure
I don't know, jaring makes a difference but after a month its strain dependant for curing.
most guys cure for a week tops, so anything above and beyond is bonus

Definitely mistook that for transporting to a drying shed...or whatnot.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
FWIW, I find that a strain doesn't come into its own until 6-8 weeks of curing. I don't mean 6-8 weeks of sitting inside a jar; I mean curing. The point of diminishing returns is reached after ~4 months. I have product that's been curing for 6+ years. It's lung candy; though it's not something I'd suggest as a normal operating procedure. YMMV

Simon

cheecha07

thank you all for your posts. A little update, It's been a little over a month now and they are definately getting smoother, and not as strong on the greeny taste, and a had a couple nice tasting hits and smells wrank when breaking the stems, but this is very hit and miss.

Also, I have a few jars that must of been too dry because they haven't lost any of there green color, and honestly look the same as when I started curing them. I'm planning to throw an orange peel in these to add some moisture, these ones aren't quite crumbling yet so hopefully it helps. Anyone think this is a bad idea?

Simon- When you say cure you mean to buds leave air-tight?

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Simon- When you say cure you mean to buds leave air-tight?

The product needs to retain some moisture in order for the curing process to take place. Too wet or too dry, and nothing will really happen. If you click on the thread in my sig, you'll note a breakdown of the humidity inside the jar that allows the bud to cure optimally. Once the flowers reach that state, there's no need to keep opening the jar(s).

To answer your other question, orange peel is fine for adding moisture to the container, but it won't re-start the cure, if you will.

Simon

bu11dog

Strains respond differently to varying lengths of curing, but as a general rule of thumb, at least a one-month cure will ensure a better and smoother smoke.

Peace