What's new

Do any deer deterrents actually work?

TheOutlawTree

If your plants are way in the woods and deer are not domesticated- use milorganite and spread it in a circle along the perimeter of your crop. I used to use this back in the day and never lost a plant to deer once i tried it. Its treated human sewage so it will smell like shit literally once it gets wet. You can buy it at lowes and its pretty cheap- people use it on their lawns.

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...7_slid_&lsft=gclid:CNnJt4fIlc4CFZQ0aQodHw4Mhw

Tynehead Tom

I guess I'm lucky. We have one deer here that acts just shy of a pet. It comes up here in the middle of the day and just casually walks around my garden. It ate my grapes, my squash, my tomatoes, my plums, a big patch of weeds called mallow but not the important plants. Maybe the key is to feed them the rest of your garden :D
No seriously though a deer fence is the best way to go. You can use 8 foot tall plastic netting and just string it up on cheap stakes. They don't know they can walk right through it and they wont try.

LOL you think you got problems , in the past 2 weeks I've watched the apples on my trees disappear in large numbers at night time. Only the very highest ones are left. I have been scouting the back and found fresh moose tracks in the pile of lawn cuttings by the compost and a big black bear pie beside the barn. Good thing they only come at night when the dogs are in LOL

tech1234

figured I would stop back in with my results...

Here is what I did:

Vacuumed all dog hair from house and collected, scattered at location
sprinkled predator urine on ground (once then again about 2 weeks later)
Hung predator urine bottles in trees
sprayed plants with deer taste repelant (once then again about 2 weeks later)
Half assed a "3 row fishing line fence"

Deer never came back but it may have also been because temps dropped, rains came and the blackberries showed up

So who knows???

got hammered elsewhere from porcupine chewing stalks and climbing my "trees" (tons of broken limbs) All part of the game though...

MelloYello

DEER OUT from Ace Hardware

Deer were in my patch several times a day until I used it. The last straw was when a deer almost landed on top of me . He jumped up a hill and missed me but ran into one of my caged plants.

Deer Out sprayed the perimeter and soaked four shirts hanging on posts in each corner.

Not one deer print for a couple months

DanDanger

Here's your method for keeping deer away without having to be there all the time, armed to kill.
Bring some dryer sheets, and put them sorta close to the plants. Not right near, but in the perimeter of them. Shave down some strong scented bar soap with a cheese grater. Take the grated soap, and spread it like the drier sheets. You don't want this around the plants. You want the deer to think that YOU are around the plants. Leaving your own scent around is important for keeping deer away. I always take a piss around, or sometimes take a bottle of piss to my guerrilla plots.

Latest posts

Latest posts