What's new

Do Any Breeders Create or Mostly Steal????

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
Ok after seeing the seed selection and being here for a while I am kinda disapointed in the true selection. Most of these hacks are just finding something good and crossing it with something else that's good. WTF
no new creations just old Regurgitations
What's the publics opinion?

Thread Accredited Breeders:
Ace
Tom Hill
Mandala
Reservations Labs
Rez & DG (would you keep these two?????)
World of Seed
Afropips
Sam
Serious
GH
HTC
Kryptonite
DJ Short
Mr. Nice Seeds
Wallyduck
Mosca N.
B.O.G.
Sorry if I forgot you
who would you recommend?

asstastic

its alot more than just names those crosses are better producing than most local un less you have good despencerys

B. Friendly

Veteran
Are they supposed to just crap out magical new creation seeds?
they could go around the world instead of ordering someone elses, grow them out, cross them with what they have...
that's what I am getting at

asstastic

they order them from around the world than stabalize the different phenos it seems most people want stuff crossed from well known strains every once in a while a seed bank will start work on a new found strain but they then have to selectively breed and then stabilize so those are rarer and normaly less potant
i belive mj only originated from a couple sub speices so the no name strains are just the same phenos just not selectively bread
there more naturally bread and not stabilized

B. Friendly

Veteran
they order them from around the world than stabalize the different phenos it seems most people want stuff crossed from well known strains every once in a while a seed bankbread and not stabilized
ya but that's no excuse. if a reputable breeder enters something in a well known competition or several and the strain starts winning which it should if it's quality, then the legend is born.
We all want the new great thing as well and there is alot of us cannasouir types now who will buy and pay for these new types.
I don't know but it would be cool to see some new stuff.
Thanks freeganga, more co's like this would be cool. I have seen others on sites i cannot mention here. Some cool african strains and s.american varieties.

asstastic

those ledgends are being born go look at the dutchgrown testers those are new strains like you speek of like zombie virus and merlins magic
i personly prefer strains from the 90s like afgooey and bubba kush and blueberry

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
well - until somebody figgures out what planet has better cannabis - and how to go get it and bring it back,,,, we all have access to the same gene pool.

I think where the difference comes in, is in the selection of the parents, Some choose for size - some because that was the one that didn't die. Some choose for the effect, even if it dosen't yeild for squat. Some choose from a few males and females - some choose from a BUNCH of prospects. And some have a reputation for good choices on a regular basis.

I think even the breeders of high reguard have projects/products that don't turn out a well as others. Then you get the one hit wonders and hacks - "Breders" that say I got a male and I can cross it with everything - so therefore I am a Breeder! -

(Hey - even a blind pig finds the truffle sometimes!)

To be honest - I have a pack of AK-47 and Head's C-99 F2's that I'll prolly do a double hit with, just for fun! -

And maybe that AK-47 with my Arcata Trainwreck.

And.

And......

And price isn't always a solid indicator of final product. - It was hard to justify a couple hundred for seeds until I was confident I'd get each cloned and thru flowering.

MsJones

it's really like people- I mean supposedly we started with a relative few kinds of us, and the more we breed the more those traits get spread around and mixed, and made into new combinations and before you know it there is a whole population of lovely individuals with a whole slew of unique traits. And like dating, you'll meet people that are mostly the same but now and then you find a gem and their traits are the right combo for you.... and there are a lot of "yous" out there so finding the right combination of traits is helped out by an increase in the fish in the sea..erm uh...genes in the pool

oh crap im losing it but i think you get the point

There are a variety of patients and people and uses for our sweet mary jane...finding the right one is a treasure hunt, and as always, evolution of the plant is a forward movement, not backward. More potency, more traits, more uses, more flavors.... it's all a good thing, I think.

MsJones

well - until somebody figgures out what planet has better cannabis - and how to go get it and bring it back,,,, we all have access to the same gene pool.

I think it's a bit further (or closer) than planetary...think dimensional. If you can reach into the closest octave that you and mary jane share commonly i think you will find that you can pull those traits from the ether and make for some seriously sacred weed. But now I'm getting all esoteric...but a few of ya'll will know what I mean.

B. Friendly

Veteran
I hear ya, intuitively I beleive there is much more out there than meets the mind. Considering we have a cannabinoid system in our brains lets explore it. Regions out there we have not smoked from, many many regions.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Most of these hacks are just finding something good and crossing it with something else that's good. WTF

Haha.. :biglaugh:

Breeders should use healthy breeding stock... to reach their aims!

For example,, Is the beef farmer hacking when they go to market to buy in new breeding stock? or the kennel breeder that brings in a dog from a different kennel a hack? Let's not get taken away in nonsense!

Then there's clone-only stock ,, the best way to share and preserve these genetics ,, is to make seed parents with them... as many do .. so others can grow a % of them.

Bagseed growers,, that make seeds? are they breeders or hacks? cause most of these "elites" came from chance discoveries,, good growing perhaps,, but not always mindful breeding.

There's plenty "new" genetics out there ... Congo x Nepal by BeAn is just one of them:

picture.php

Hope this helps...

I

Iron_Lion

Well Mandala and Ace offers landrace strains.

Ace uses landraces that have been bred for many years away from their original locations, i think theyre one of the few that still use these heirloom strains.

Mandala I see mentioned alot in this type of conversation, but mandala is very secretive about their genetics, and dont really make it clear if they are truly made up of 100% landrace genes. for all anyone really knows mandala are landraces x dutch hybrids.

I'd have to guess strain finding expeditions are very expensive and very hard work, have to dig thru a 1000 turds to find something good. I'd imagine this is why no one does these things, not to mention alot of places where cannabis is indigenous are very dangerous, you cant really go tromping thru afghanistan these days, india is some pretty rough terrain, mexico really isnt very safe either.

GreenHouse seeds supposedly went on an expedition to africa, but I think they mostly polluted one of the last few untained gene pools on earth with their dutchified fem horse shit.

I think another reason why no one bothers with this sort of thing these days is because it doesnt sell like all these OG kush, Chem, crosses. People want the name and to be knocked out and stupified by some flavor of the week shit. If you are into genetic presevation the best bet is to do it yourself, get it while you can and save the ones you like.

I get mad at people that want to call someone a hack, just because you don't prefer the cross selection that they made. Obviously, when a new clone only comes out people want to cross that to past favorites. Not everyone is going to make that outstanding selection, as to what they 'hacked' with.

Going around the world is laughable, it's not that safe to travel around selecting your favorite landrace seeds. I don't think there are any missing landraces from today's strains, if you look deep enough into the heritage of today's commonly available seeds.

I admit that I wish some 'hacks' would inbreed a bit more for desirable traits to be more prevalent. I wish some very attractive and expensive strains, where hacked and done so proficiently.

Look at your famous clone only's, Bubba Kush is just a hack....White Label Bubble Gum x Hindu Kush (unknown seed companies). Not many people take three or four strains and try to figure out something there.

B. Friendly

Veteran
Columbia is suppossed to be scary and I am travelling there again and again. Going this month hope I come back with something unique???????
the flight is $1300usd another $3000 when I am there. So for around $5000usd you can go somewhere exotic and do some looking. Asia about the same, Africa more cuz I am flying from Canada. But Cost is not a reasonable excuse

Afripops had all sorts of African landraces, I've seen a lot of those around the past years. World of Seeds has some landraces, I don't think a lot of landraces are lacking although some of the Colombian's are difficult to find....not as much as Panamanian, although I'm pretty sure someone had a pack. There's even been a Chinese Indica on the market, always a Thai strain, more Pakistani strains, some nice Indian strains from World of Seeds.

The landraces of the vigor, just not that same bag appeal.

Latest posts

Latest posts