What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DNA Genetics (Kosher Pie) under GLA LEDs

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
I'm posting this here because, why not? I've always grown a lot of Paradise Seeds over the years (and there is a Glowstarz in this grow) because most of Luc's strains are reliably good. But I've also had some good experiences with DNA genetics so I decided to pop a pack of Kosher Pie to see what I got.

Kosher Pie is Kosher Kush x Cherry Pie 18 (Cherry Pie x The Og 18).

I've grown OG18 and it stretches. A lot! The yield is average but the taste is quintessential OG (minty, earthy, fuelly and eucalyptus/menthol) while the high is strong (with a heavy body). I didn't keep it because while it was very good, it was was from only a small sample size of two female plants and I thought I could do better.

A year or two later someone gave me a Kosher Kush clone and I almost gave up on it before flowering. It was very slow, took forever to flower, and didn't like to clone. But it did surprise me with the yield that packed on a lot of weight in the last weeks (it was a 9-10 week flowerer) and it had a really nice high. Like, strong and euphoric. The taste wasn't too strong, but again the clone came from a small sample size and had some promise.

I've smoked Cherry Pie but never grown it. So I figured between the three varieties, these were some of DNA's best genetics so it would be interesting to see what this poly-hybrid produced. I soaked four seeds out of six and they all germinated in 24 hours. They were not super-fast to veg, but it was hot and the dog ate two of the seedlings, so I slowed the others down so the nibblies could catch up.

I try to give all my seedlings an even chance to flower so that I can choose the best on merit, and not on more or less favourable conditions.

So here they are having just finished their second week of 12/12. Lights are of course Grow Lights Australia Longboards – three of them running at about 200W front and back and 140W in the middle for a total of 540W. This gives a very even 900 PPFD across the entire canopy. Pots are run-to-waste coco with Hygen nutrients on an auto-timer which waters for one minute every 2.5 hours.

Here is the 4x4 tent. Five pots in total. Kosher Pie are the front two pots, middle pot and back right pot. The back left pot is a Paradise Seeds Glowstarz, which goes for about 10 weeks, so I started flowering it smaller than the Kosher Pie, which are advertised as a 9-week strain.
IMG_1329.jpg

All the Kosher pie were very different in veg, which I expected, but started to look a little more uniform once they started flowering (which is unusual). However there are some subtle and not-so-subtle differences.
IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg

You can see the Kosher Pie in the right back corner is literally head and shoulders above the rest. This one stretched more than the others during veg and was also the first to show flowers. It also has darker red markings on the stems and has a sweet-minty – dare I say it, cherry – smell.

If I were to pick an old-skool strain it reminded me of, it would be DJ Short's stretch Indica Blueberry, but with a little less sweet berry flavour and a bit more more menthol. I suspect there is a lot of Blueberry in most modern strains – especially those of unknown heritage. Just a theory . . .

Glowstarz next to it is catching up, which I expect, as it also likes to stretch and forms nice braided buds with swollen calyxes and a minty OG smell/taste. Glowstarz is San Fernando Valley OG Kush x Gelato #33 and it has a really nice sativa head high with enough body to hit you hard if you smoke too much. It gives you phenomenal munchies! If you are going out to eat with friends and are not very hungry, this is the strain to smoke before you go out!

The other Kosher Pies are all very squat and branchy. They have stretched a bit during the first two weeks of flower, but nowhere near as much as their sister in the corner. They all have very thick, oily stems and fat indica leaves. The smells are all quite similar – OG type – while some have slightly stronger and/or sweeter smells about them. But they all stink!

I am going to get some side-lighting in there once the plants have stopped stretching to light the undercanopy.

IMG_1341.jpg

Rocket Soul

Looking really good and healthy, glad to see you posting more again. On our second run under the GLA strips; had some small problems with the first run but unrelated to the light: poor cleaning of bottom budsites made a lot of buds a bit softish but it was on the whole room and unrelated to the lights. Still need to try the buds we got though, in the cure right now.

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
I train everyone so as to have a flat canopy, most light to most buds. I used LST for years but use a bit of stem/branch squeezing with padded pliers. I keep buds tied down throughout.
I have a net and I do scrog at times, but it depends on what I'm growing. Having multiple LED lights that can be hung at different heights and tilted in towards the canopy gives better 3D lighting and penetration and I;ve had good results doing it.

In this case I'm pheno-hunting, so I'm just letting the plants do their thing for now to see how they grow. Most of ther stretch is finished, but I may still bend a few branches to stop them growing into the lights as I've almost run out of head room, so that will be the next step.

It's also time for some side-lighting, so I'll be putting in a few LED strips this weekend to light the under-canopy.

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
This first photo should show how far away the plants are from the lights. The tops are getting around 900+ PPFD, which is just starting to bleach some of the bud tips, but the majority of the canopy is doing well. Sometimes you have to make small sacrifices for the good of the entire grow. But this gives you an idea of how I manage a staggered canopy with 3x LED fixtures at different heights.

IMG_1440.jpg

These plants are only at 3.5 weeks of flowering, so they are coming along nicely. They are all very different in their own ways.

IMG_1432.jpg

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
This first leaf is from my favourite plant in this grow. It is a sativa-leaning Kosher Pie and to me it appears to be leaning towards the Cherry Pie side of things, which is half Durban Poison (according to legend!)

This is Kosher Pie #2 of 4. It honestly smells like alcoholic ginger beer mixed with petrol! It's trichome development is more advanced than any of the others, and it looks like it is going to pack on some nice weight. As I said earlier, it is sweet, spicy and oily. I'm very happy with it so far.

IMG_1419.jpg

This is Kosher Pie #3 of 4, and it appears to be half-way between the sativa-leaning #2 above, and the indica leaning #4 below. This one has more of the Kush aroma (minty/menthol and fuel, but also sweet and a bit fruity) and while it has not stretched as much as #2, it looks like it is going to form nice, long sticky branches of sativa-type buds. It reminds me of some skunk-haze varieties. You can see some wind burn on the leaves behind that are getting hit by the fan. Small sacrifices – better than botrytis!

IMG_1420.jpg

And this is #4, the indica leaning pheno. It is quite short and squat with large leaves but not a particularly overpowering smell at the moment. I think this one might take a little longer than the others to finish flowering and I will need to keep an eye on it for mould as we come into the wet season.

IMG_1421.jpg

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
Here we have my Glowstarz clone that is a 9-10 week flowering plant. It takes a long time to develop flowers and grows long, sticky, braided buds with a nice minty/menthol OG Kush taste and smell (Glowstarz is San Fernando Valley OG x Geltato #33).

I quite like this strain, as it matches the Paradise Seeds description – fun! It has a "fun" high that is quite enjoyable and munchies-inducing.

IMG_1415.jpg

And here is the sativa Kosher Pie #2 for comparison.

IMG_1416.jpg